Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

No fly Zone over Libya...

Hmmm not sure on this one as there is no visible trail for a SAM and the early model SAM's do have a visible trail... possibly AAA and it only takes one to cause an explosion maybe a larger calibre round like a 23mm or a 57mm. But up to now just speculation on what took it out

Showing a trail from an SA-7. Even the Stinger leaves a trail.

RDAF F-16's deployed yesterday and our Ministry of defense expect them to be in action before nightfall today.

The US is in. I think the Enterprise is on station.

Since the rebels (do they have an official name?) claim to have built up a small air force or MiGs and a heli or two, are they going to be grounded by this as well?

What kind of French aircraft is this:

post-44010-0-74889800-1300560420.jpg

Its the rafale from the french navy

Rarafle from the french navy

This will be the first action for alot of aircraft like the Rafale and Typhoon. AFAIK neither have been used in afghanistan.

It's about damn time the UN security council actually did its job. Although it was slow in coming, this is how its supposed to work! The Libyan rebels want help, other middle eastern states approve and the whole of the international community supports it, a justified fight to stop a savage from slaughtering millions.

Its the rafale from the french navy

Rarafle from the french navy

Air force, to be exact, check the fin "ARMEE DE L´AIR. Their carrier will sail tomorrow

This will be the first action for alot of aircraft like the Rafale and Typhoon. AFAIK neither have been used in afghanistan.

Nope, AFAIK, the French already deployed Rafale B´s in Afghanistan. True about the Typhoon

Btw, US and UK warships and submarines launched 110-112 tomahawks to Lybian air defence network targets.

Spain is in, with Hornet fighters, refuelling aircraft and Orion maritime patrollers. We have an AEGIS frigate, a sub a carrier already in the area.

Happy hunting and good luck to all who are going to north africa.

:ninja::assassin: CL

I heared EA-18G GROWLERS WERE TAKIN part

i dont think so. they are still in the evaluation mode, not to mention the US so far only seems to be committing cruise missles and warships to the effort.

VAQ-141 is on the George Bush conducting OEF/OIF support and they're a full squadron. There's a couple but if I read the news the Enterprise is around the area. They may have a Growler squadron (VAQ-138 and I think -136 have them) onboard.

VAQ-141 is on the George Bush conducting OEF/OIF support and they're a full squadron. There's a couple but if I read the news the Enterprise is around the area. They may have a Growler squadron (VAQ-138 and I think -136 have them) onboard.

well damn. didnt think the Navy had em fully up and runnin yet. in that case the Libyan EADS should be a good warm up for them.

British DoD said Tornado GR4s were in. As of CNN, they are firing Storm Shadow missiles, and flew from the UK in the longest range bombing mission by the RAF since the Black Buck raids during the Falklands War in 1982. I will try to find out if Spanish Hornets did the same as the French and supposedly, the British, heard something like that elsewhere and images of their departure by spotters are kind of weird. They seemed to carry payload my father could have misidentified by Sparrows, could be HARMs. And you could presume that other nations did the same for the first wave. If the allies made such a large, coordinated, long range strategic bombardment mission it would be, indeed, an historical fate.

well damn. didnt think the Navy had em fully up and runnin yet. in that case the Libyan EADS should be a good warm up for them.

Indeed :smile:

The campaign by coalition forces to enforce the nofly zone has now been officially dubbed "Odyssey Dawn." I heard the audio feed from someone in the US airforce brass named Childress. He stated the US has committed F-15E, B-2 and F-16 aircraft to the actions. As stated already the UK committed Tornado and Typhoons while the French Dassault Rafale. In addition to those the Danish have now committed F-16's and Canada has comitted CF-18's.

If you're thinkning that sounds like a lot to handle for the Libyan Air Force and its aging fleet of 70's jets like the Mig 23 and the SU 22 - I'd definitely agree.

Edited by Arrow

Saw the Danish F-16's take off from the sicillian airbase loaded with JDAM's and missiles in the news... GO kick some butt :clapping::clapping::good:

Whatever the situation is, it IS quite special now (and somehow a weird feeling too) to fly CAS, air defence surpression, strike, armed recce etc over the Lybia Terrain that Wrench gave us some time ago........ :good:

Houdoe,

Derk

• Like 3

Dang, I didn't even know there was a Libyan terrain. Going to have to download that. ;)

They should bring back the F-14 Tomcat to take out all the Su-22 attack aircraft and Mig-23 Floggers F-14s Kick A??

Its been 5 years I think the Tomcats have been chopped up by now.

No, JediMaster, not all - Iran have some F-14, so we can see some Tomcats in fight again...:grin:

You will see those Tomcats fall to the ground in a ball of fire.

Let every good guy pull out of libya and send in a single B-2 Spirit With a nuke evac all the civilins and friendslies

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8389565/Libya-UN-approves-no-fly-zone-as-British-troops-prepare-for-action.html

Well it looks like its all go... whats left of the RAF is on its way for some target practice...

What you guys need is some kind of ship, a big flat one that can carry some kind of aircraft. Your Tornados and Typhoons nor even Rafales would be able to land on it I suspect, so you're going to need some kind of aircraft that can land in short distances, maybe even vertically if the seas are a bit choppy.

...hang on. Oh yeah... that's right.

Heh... awkward. :blush:

YEAH! its about f***ing time!

Damn straight. Took long enough.

• Like 1

What you guys need is some kind of ship, a big flat one that can carry some kind of aircraft. Your Tornados and Typhoons nor even Rafales would be able to land on it I suspect, so you're going to need some kind of aircraft that can land in short distances, maybe even vertically if the seas are a bit choppy.

...hang on. Oh yeah... that's right.

Heh... awkward. :blush:

Damn straight. Took long enough.

Exactly the same comment I said to a mate of mine Saturday night... And the Ark Royal is about to be turned into a helipad for the Olympic Games... looks like the Government got their priorities right on that one... :rofl:

Seeing as there's no obvious flak or missile trail, the possibility that this was a poorly-maintained plane's engine exploding can not be discounted.

Even planes in good shape have it happen (search for the F-14 supersonic flyby that had an engine let go).