Dave

Russian Fighter Jet Buzzed U.S. Ship: Officials

A DDG can be in the Black Sea also. Color is immaterial.

Thank you for catching the mistake. Was flying WOI earlier. 

Iraq is a completely different scenario. Hell, even the oil contracts went to China and Norway, IIRC. And while the US could have done better in Iraq, most of the blame of the killing of civilians come from the enemy they faced mixing up with the population. People without uniform, wich rings some bells regarding the current situation. They left the best they knew. Saddam was the guy who gassed or massacred anyone who opposed them. Ukraine was peaceful until their government decided to enter negotiations with the EU, instead of lining up with Putin´s sphere of coprosperity. Well, as peaceful as radioactive isotope poisoning allows. 

Compare this to Ukraine. Even you said out loud, comparing it to Hawaii, that the naval base was a reason to invade. I would like to remind that Hawaii is, willfully, a part of the US. Ukraine is not. And please, save your keyboard from bringing up the referendum in wich 112% of Crimeans voted for the annexion. They walked in unopposed when the Ukranians still had to set up a new government, after the guy who had been positively drowned in bribes finally left his golden bungalow. 

And don´t even get me started on history. Yeah, mostly Russian population, given by Khruschev to Ukraine, them Nazi supporters, after being purposedly starved to death by the millions by the guy who...the new Russian leader idolizes (Putin even thanked Georgia for giving such a great man to Russia before...well, you know, that other time his puppet guy made an electoral campaign through war boner). When you see the goose-stepping, slavic-hating, Hugo Boss-wearing sadist faggots blitzing around as liberators, you know you have been seriously fucked with.

And please, note that it is not the Russians i´m blaming. The average Russian is nuts, but look at Americans like Dave "nuke the TV off when the remote fails" Slavens, or even Europeans like some Swede and some Polish hanging around. It is the guy using up those feelings that is to blame. After all, it is the Russians that, willing or not, have to take Putin at a permanent basis.

i´m not with the russians if they decide to take the whole ukraine, but i´m with them or better, i can unterstand why they were taking over the krim. i mean it is nearly there´s for centuries  they rented it for the black sea fleet and nearly all of the citizens are russians.

i think putin hadn´t done it if it was for sure that they could extend the rent of the krim, after the ukraine switched to the EU.

but maybe someone telled him that the urkaine will not extend the contract and so he had to do something.(and here is the main problem we didnt now what happened before) it is there only harbour to get fast in the mediterran sea and the harbour is mostly ice free in the winter months

they have to stay there. if not, the balanced would have switched to far to the NATO Side and that isn´t good either.

your are right in regards of hawaiiin in a way..oh did you know, one minor fact it was annexed (because of the strategic value->rings some bells, huh?!)  on August  12.1898: but what if (big IF) Hawaii would tomorrow decide, that they want to be part of russia and all US Forces have to leave the Island would they go? peacefully?! i dont think so^^

that saddam was terminated was one of the good things, but for god sake why have it to be done with 250.000 troops. i dont know but the US has maybe more than one good SpecOps Units wouldn´t they be enough to get that guy?

Edited by dast24

just to put a few things in context. 

We both used to buzz each other's ships all the time.

it's how the game is played.  International waters mean just that.  Likewise, international airspace means just that. 

Nothing all that unusual about it, other than the current level of tensions.  But buzzing ships is rather common.  Nothing new, no real big deal at all. 

• Like 4

I say just sign a mutual defense pact and fast track the Ukraine into NATO. Putin is not stupid enough to pick on anyone close to his size let alone a country that with nukes out of the equation could decimate any advance he made into the Ukraine given the political will.My question is if the ethinic Russians want to live in Russia why not just move? iit's about power and prestige not about the so called welfare of these people. It's almost a perfect parallel of the Sudeten crisis. If the west just sits on it's ass it won't be as bad as WW2 but you just never know. You have to confront aggression and evil when ever you can or it grows. Now Putin is not Hitler but his actions are far far from anything a civilized leader would do.I just wish we could curb some of Putin's aggression and give it to the leaders here.

And please, note that it is not the Russians i´m blaming. The average Russian is nuts, but look at Americans like Dave "nuke the TV off when the remote fails" Slavens, or even Europeans like some Swede and some Polish hanging around. It is the guy using up those feelings that is to blame. After all, it is the Russians that, willing or not, have to take Putin at a permanent basis.

Am I that bad?

• Like 3

My point is...if armed russian "citizens" .(.I dont think so) took over a police station in london,and British army or SAS stormed it and removed them,would putin defend his countrymen then and invade the UK?..no! Putin is on thin ice,here.

• Like 1

Putin is on thin ice,here.

yes and no.  He's running a pretty thin bluff with not a lot of force behind him.  But look he's running his bluff against.  There is no will anywhere in the West to call the bluff. 

He does have an enormous economic advantage in that Europe runs largely on Russian natural gas. 

So on balance, Putin has all the cards. 

• Like 1

So you agree with Putin? (like most neo-cons envious of Putin and wish he was their leader)

That is the way the game used to be played. Well said. The past.

Not so much nowadays. Especially with the context.

Wanting to start another war are we?

I think we should remind the Turks and Muslims (or hell, even Italians and Greeks) that Crimea was once theirs, BEFORE it ever became Russian and for longer than it ever was Russian, maybe they would feel the right to "liberate" it as well...

So please, when you try to justify Russia's move in Ukraine, don't invoke History, we all know it's bullshit.

If once having been in possession of a country is enough to justify taking over it again and again, what should France do, or Germany, or Spain, or Hungary, Austria, Turkey, Egypt, Italy... Europe is a continent of Empires, most major European nations have owned at least a fourth of it at some point in it's history.

• Like 1

Am I that bad?

No offece intended. I´m the guy calling for goatborne STDs to fight the talibans, or drugging Putin to chill him the eff down myself, i mean, it is positive

Edited by macelena
  • Like 1

Am I that bad?

why yes. yes you are... :biggrin:

as to the whole thing, i mentioned in my history class on the topic of nukes is its funny how this administration (and yes others too) get awfully righteous against countries that cant do much back to us on our soil. where this administration messes up at is its dealings with Russia, which it subscribes to the fantasy of it being a third world nation now.  there are many things wrong with that country and its military. but it still, just like the US possesses enough nukes on its own to kill most of humanity.  like i summed up to the class, you can have two folks in the neighborhood: one rich and one poor. but if they both have shotguns and are argueing, both are on kinda equal grounds  and everyone else around is likely to catch alot of buckshot if the shooting starts.

Am I that bad?

No, not you, but probably your TV set is that bad..... 

Edited by Derk

I like Typhoid's remarks on buzzing. During decennia of Cold War, both NATO and Warpac did it thousands and thousands of times.

A single Fencer boring in, not using ECM or whatever, in the full knowledge of the capacities of the US vessel can in my opinion hardly be considered a threath. In case of real trouble they would have used stand off weaponry, heavy ECM  and a LOT more planes.....

As for Putin, it's Hitler and the Sudeten Germans all over and the frightening thing is that we really don't know if he is really in control of all the thugs calling themselves militants........ I wonder what his idea's are on the Baltic states, now our NATO allies...

Not only NATO allies, but the Baltic states are both part of the Eurozone (currency-wise) and full members of the European Union, they are from a political point of view an entirely different thing from Ukraine (which is just a neighbour with aspirations).

If Putin does even look funny at any of the Baltic states and the EU does nothing, it would sign the death of the European Union and Euro.

He WILL try something in the baltic if we (westerners) sit on our hands once again. Just as he is just doing. 

We didn't move for Crimea, hell, he's pushing his advantage. 

If we don't move, that is send some ballsy task forces for some "exercises", he'll go on.

Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia harbor sizable russian colonis... er... minorities that Putin would love to "liberate". And what will we do? Nothing? That'd be a shame... 

It's time for the europeans to understand that history is back on his track, that armies aren't just something to cut and that we should be ready, "just in case". Armies sole purpose aren't ill-thought humanitarian interventions in Africa. 

Time to re-arm. 

• Like 1

I have a bad feeling about this, it seems the Russian military is really waiting for a pretext to "liberate" eastern Ukraine from an "oppressive imperialist, capitalist regime". Now, seriously, while the U.S. has made a lot of mistakes in the past (the WMDs excuse for military intervention in Iraq in 2003, for instance), now the Russians wake up in the morning and what do they do? They send military units in Crimea, because majority of its people wanted to be governed by them. I do think it would have been a lot better to create a referendum with the consent of the international community, without sending unnecessary military forces in the region.

I just can't stand Putin's excuse: the military intervened to protect Russian interests. Ah, yeah, I almost forgot. While the rest of the world used time travel and evolved to the extent (for the Americans) to vote a Democrat and not a warmongering Republican, the Russians are stuck in 1914, where your political, economic interests are solved through the means of war, no matter what.

Edited by blaze95
  • Like 1

Next up: Putin invades Brighton Beach because ethnic Russians are under siege...by Obamacare-related costs.

So you agree with Putin? (like most neo-cons envious of Putin and wish he was their leader)

That is the way the game used to be played. Well said. The past.

Not so much nowadays. Especially with the context.

Wanting to start another war are we?

Is there something wrong with how you are wired together?

Nowhere did I say anything about agreeing with Putin.  I said he's got all the cards because no one in the west will stand up to him.  That doesn't imply endorsement of his actions, doesn't advocate for his Imperial Rule, and certainly doesn't advocate General War over the Ukraine. 

There are a whole lot of things that we (all) could and should be doing.  Of note, no one is really doing any of them. 

You, sir, need to adjust your medication.

• Like 1

Next up: Putin invades Brighton Beach because ethnic Russians are under siege...by Obamacare-related costs.

He could have invaded that area and the rest of NYC during "Stop and Frisk"  :biggrin:

As for the topic at hand honestly I do not see the difference between this incident and these...

gpw-20050822-UnitedStates-DVIC-DF-SN-83-

RussianBearOverKittyHawk.jpg

800px-thumbnail.jpg

767px-Soviet_Il-38_May_passing_low_over_

Edited by ironroad
  • Like 2

you are correct, Ironroad, precisely my earlier point.  Standard ops at sea for and by alcon.

• Like 1