No.

An ini edit does NOT alter the LOD...it takes advantage of the quirk of the game to not show a particular mesh. The FakePilot method also does not alter the LOD, it adds a new part using a different LOD via an ini edit.

What you are proposing the LODViewer to do does alter the LOD because you are rewriting its structure. Not the same thing.

It is the difference between putting a tarp over a wing of a house to hide it and bulldozing the wing of the house.

And realize that this is all a legally gray area. BMPs, JPGs, ini files use standard nomenclatures and file structures...their formats are not proprietary. You can create new OR altered versions of said files using legal and free tools like photo editors, paint programs, text editors, etc. LODs on the other hand are a specific proprietary format. The creator of that format has not provided ANY legal tools to alter the structure of the LODs once created. He has provided tools to create LODs of your own, but not to alter the LODs that already exist. This strongly implies that those LODs are inviolate and the intent is not to mess with or redistribute the ones already created.

FC

One can edit LODs in Falcon4.0 for like a decade (w/ LODeditor). Asking permission of original author before redistributing edited LODs is done via a community ethos and courtesy, and for my own experience 9 outta 10 times you get go ahead with good will.

But for a similar tool to emerge I come with 3 conditions: TK and TW is no longer around as an entity to claim IP rights; SF reaches significant community popularity (hence more talented ppl like mue emerges) via community development; major user base transforms to the 1st/2nd world hence less piracy. It is long way to go if ever.

Edited by Do335

Eventually, I deleted my suggestion as reactions were found unacceptable by others.

My suggestion is that Mue does as he likes

Edited by jeanba

Jeanba I actually have the same wish as you but I just realize it is a bit unrealistic. The better option is to find some trustable computer programming night class (those for working stiffs like me lol), study it like no tomorrow. When it's done I'll try decoding TK's encryption. If I still wanna fly SF2 by then that is.

Not a joke as i've entertained the notion several times and have started the basics in the past.

Edited by Do335

mue,

if I load 3d party cockpits the LodViewer stops functioning if the cockpit is using TGA files larger than 256 px.

There are cockpits around which have TGA files of 1024 px or even 2048 px .

I resize all TGAs to 256 px or remove them temporary to get the LV working.

Thank you very much for the update!

Great! Thanks a lot!!!

warrior: in the data ini only

So how would I do that say for some of the carriers that have air craft on the flight deck already as a part of the model? I don't see nods for the aircraft in the ini. file.

You can use the LodViewer to locate the proper node name and similarly like hiding components in an airplane or cockpit you should be able to hide the items by adding them to the carrier's data.ini.

post-30564-0-18920700-1432462625_thumb.jpg

For the above example it follows.

Component[003]=Hidecart <------Add this and number as required

[Hidecart]

ParentComponentName=Deck

ModelNodeName=cart

You can use the LodViewer to locate the proper node name and similarly like hiding components in an airplane or cockpit you should be able to hide the items by adding them to the carrier's data.ini.

attachicon.gifclem.jpg

For the above example it follows.

Component[003]=Hidecart <------Add this and number as required

[Hidecart]

ParentComponentName=Deck

ModelNodeName=cart

Does it work for ground objects?

I've made a quick test using Logan example, did not seems to work

no, the 'hide nodes' has never worked on ground objects.

Is there something out there that can convert a LOD to a Max file and back for editing?

Is there something out there that can convert a LOD to a Max file and back for editing?

ALERT, ALERT, ALERT!!!

Oh man, that question again! :'/

Warrior, while something that could convert LOD to Max and back would make personal modding easier in some respects, you'll find a lot of modders would have genuine concerns with having their worked tweaked and re-released.

• Like 1

No.  Not released with out permission.  This would be for my own personal use ONLY.

Nothing that is for public knowledge. Please do not solicit such advice here.

FC

• Like 1

I have problem when transparency is off it look like this

post-56745-0-73132300-1434106038_thumb.jpg

when transparency is on:

post-56745-0-89581500-1434106105_thumb.jpg

Ok... Im missing something here ... How do I manually turn the model around in the viewer ?

yyy with mouse?