ok, I got it. but I seem to be doing something (or have something!) wrong.

I'm not able to view a lined map (or the skin map itself as shown in some of the screenies).  This is something I need for a 'secret' project I've been asked to undertake.

If someone can view it, and more importantly, EXPORT it, please contact me via PM.

I need it for an aircraft that is skinned, but has no panel lines or 'hinge' lines on the control surfaces.

Did you apply the V3 patch on page 6 in post '114'? Probably that what you missing.

certainly did!!

now, I see no texture at all, just the 'green' of the aircraft meshes

btw, its a 3rd party bird, not a stock one

certainly did!!

now, I see no texture at all, just the 'green' of the aircraft meshes

btw, its a 3rd party bird, not a stock one

Wrench, try putting the textures in the same folder as the LOD and reload. That is what I had to do to view the textures on the Indepencence-CVL.

Just figured out what I was doing wrong. If select the LOD file then it is just the model. If I select the object's main INI file then I get texture.

ok, did that. now I can see the skin.

but how am I supposed to view and export a lined map??

(btw, you all DIDN'T see this airplane, ok?? :wink: )

• Like 1

ok, did that. now I can see the skin.

but how am I supposed to view and export a lined map??

(btw, you all DIDN'T see this airplane, ok?? :wink: )

• Like 3

I have seen that not all lods show the textures, i have tried with one and i got nothing, do i need to do additional steps?

noticed that too, might be related to certain materials/maps setup parameters coded into LOD, ie. has normalmapping, specular etc

The LOD Viewer does not seem to see .TGA files nor does it see colored materials without a texture.

it does see TGA perfectly in my case

Wrench. If you right click the Texture name in the bottom left window, you get the export. Everything (every mesh) on that texture. If right click a mesh name in the top box you get just that mesh. If you already no this, disregard this post. :)

Also if you create a bland texture, name it to match, you Git a great UV MAP I add xx to the original Tex name to hide it from the viewer.

oh, yeah!!!

that worked!!

thanks Raven!

Here's a slight workaround...

1. Find out the .LOD file name reference by extracting your chosen aircraft's cockpit .ini file from the appropriate .CAT file, e.g. you can easily see that for the TW Tomcat, it's called "F-14A_cockpit.LOD"
  2. Create a new fake aircraft folder (most easily done by copying over the folder of the aircraft you want to view the cockpit of) and rename it something obvious, e.g. "F-14A_PIT"
  3. Rename the main aircraft .ini file to "F-14A_PIT"
  4. Change the [LOD00X] references in this new .ini file to "F-14A_cockpit.LOD"
  5. Load up the LOD viewer and open this newly created .ini file...

Thanks mate

I have seen that not all lods show the textures, i have tried with one and i got nothing, do i need to do additional steps?

noticed that too, might be related to certain materials/maps setup parameters coded into LOD, ie. has normalmapping, specular etc

The LOD Viewer does not seem to see .TGA files nor does it see colored materials without a texture.

The LOD Viewer doesn't read and therefore doesn't use any other material properties (e.g. specular, diffuse colors, bump mapping,...). It only reads the texture file name.

There is a known bug in LOD Viewer: It can not display 1x1 textures. Those are used mostly for canopies or lights.

much apprecited :ok:

I just did a test. Keep in mind that I do all my lod viewing from a temporary folder (Easyer to navigate while modding with Max and PS) I changed a Canopy.tga from 1X1 px to 512x512. The canopy is still not transparent, but the texture shows up nicely.

The LOD Viewer can't seem to find stock First Eagles 2 LOD's. It can read them if they have been extracted but it can't find them in the CAT's. 

The LOD Viewer can't seem to find stock First Eagles 2 LOD's. It can read them if they have been extracted but it can't find them in the CAT's. 

I don't own FE2. Maybe the install directory file structure or the cat file format is different from SF2. Is it possible that FE2 still uses the old SF1 cat format? Currently LODViewer doesn't support the old cat format, but it's on my todo list.

May be it really is a cat format issue, because I am able to view stock MiG-21 lods, but at the same time I am unable to view Mirage III, EA-6B lods.

Version 0.4 is ready!

Changelog:

-added toolbar
-nodes can be hidden
-multiple nodes can be selected
-animations
-simple transparency (no depth ordering of triangles)
-bounding and hit boxes of nodes are shown
-write a file with information about all nodes and materials

Please read the readme.txt! I changed the mouse view control within the 3D view window.

The update zip file: LODViewerUpdateV0.4.zip

Copy the content of this zip file (LODViewer.exe and readme.txt) into the LODViewer directory of the old version (overwrite the two old files).

Version 0.1 can be downloaded here: http://combatace.com/topic/85079-lod-viewer/?do=findComment&comment=684342

Screenshot:

post-52028-0-73501900-1425770600_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

oh yeah!!

many thanks mue!!

damn man!!! Where were you hiding all these years our experts were crying deep in the night trying to figure ot the node names and animation IDs?! :smile:

IF you indeed do suceed with that 3D target areas placement tool soon we'll have brand new SF3, the community edition here! Thanks to efforts to guys like you!

• Like 2