Sign in to follow this  
column5

How Southern are yew?

hmm, I got 68% on the initial link, but got 100% on the associated advanced southern test.

Being raised in Charleston, SC probably threw the first test a bit.

33%. Sounds about right. Born in West Virginia, raised in Pennsylvania, worked my way westward to Nebraska.

(The one interesting one is "creek". "Licking Creek" was pronounced "Lickin' Crick" by my PA relatives.)

44% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

Lived 18 years total in Texas. Also lived in Michigan, California, South Dakota, Massachusetts, Illinois, Wyoming and Turkey. Live of an AF Brat and being in the USAF too.

33% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

Not surprised. I've lived in CA my hole life. Only southern state experience was going to Virginia for one weekend once for a Rugby tournament.

34% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

I'm just a beginner with US accents. The way of speaking english learned in France is dubbed "Queen's English", so very british. I got a lot of "New England", but I don't know if it's quite logical ie do new-englander speak in a way close to british?

Well... Actually, it doesn't really matter as my accent is quite awfull... :biggrin:

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

I'm just a beginner with US accent. The way of speaking english learned in France is dubbed "Queen's English", so very british. I got a lot of "New England", but I don't know if it's quite logical ie do new-englander speak in a way close to british?

Well... Actually, it doesn't really matter as my accent is quite awfull... :biggrin:

Even though New Englanders don't sound English, their accent is probably phonetically related to an English one. I'm just guessing since I'm not a linguist...

"13% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!"

Having lived in Massachusetts my whole life, I don't blame this.

That's eerie, 34% also, maybe it's a European thing?

55% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

Born in W.Va.(4yrs),Raised in N.C.(9yrs),Pa.(6 months),Ohio(3yrs),Michigan(3 months) and Indiana (2 months).Foster care and Grandparents moved a lot!Currently living in East Texas for the last 11yrs.People here constantly making fun of accent.What's funny about this is,that they say "Yankee's" are rude when they are they ones giving opinions weither you want to hear them or not.Goodness gracious!What don't they know?I don't anyone who has fought in the Civil War. :tomato:

Brady

36% Dixie. Lived in So. Cal. my entire life (minus a vacation or two in Texas, Mississippi, and a stay in Iraq).

9% Dixie. Need help digging out of the snow?

Higher than I expected, summers in florida and the occasional visit to family in maryland must be rubbing off (on?). For the record, very few people say youse for you in new yawk, pretty much only pure italians who grew up in the city and have never left it.

For the record, very few people say youse for you in new yawk, pretty much only pure italians who grew up in the city and have never left it.

Guess that can go for the "pahk the cah in hahvahd yahd" as well. Only the pure Irish and Italians who've never left Boston sound like that.

73% Dixie. Your neck must be a just little rosy!

Oh well, guess that makes sense.

I'm from Tennessee, y'all!

11%. I suppose that you can't get any farther from the south than Canada. Heck, I even live in the southern part!

Interesting subject. I was born overseas in Britain, but have lived in

mostly southern states during my life. I guess that would make me an

'honorary redneck' :biggrin:

43%...similiar to C5 in circumstance.

Born overseas, but raised in Florida with small stretches in Buffalo, NY and Georgia. Then Colorado for college, Texas and California for active duty, with work in Tennessee and married to a southwestern Canadian. Little mix and match.

FC

:fie: 36% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

ok, I was born in Augusta Georgia and my grand daddy is the man responsible for making the back 9 at the augusta nationals even exist.(he gave them the land on the stipulation that any of his hiers could play whenever for free)

If this info gets out,,,,oh, this is bad, its real bad,

All of this rise a new questions to me.

In US radios, TV, and such, is there an unified way of speaking? IE every speaker or show leader speaking in a NY or Washington way? Or is there differences?

In France, for instance, whole TV and radios speak the so-called "Parisian french" -the same you may have learned as a foreign language. Speaking with your accent -except southern ones, I don't know why- when applying to a job, working or whatever is sometime perceived in a very bad manner. When I began my studies, a teacher told us (northern France): "Ya'all who speak like notherners must learn to speak a "neutral" french for future interviews and job applications, or it will be hell to find a job".

Thanks jacobinism...

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

its become more localised, but before ,it was all one accent, not sure what youd call it, neutral maybe?

oh, can someone check the sim outhouse page, is it down?

Oy vey, I cant believe ickie killed it all over some freakin smilies,

Edited by gwar

36% for me, spent almost my entire life in Florida. However, my family are all from NY/NJ. Plus Florida isn't the south, as stated. It's the summer home for rest of the country and the "we're going to turn this into our old home" for everywhere south of the border.

89% Dixie. Do you still use Confederate money?

Now I dont care who ya are, thats funny right there, yes sir, lol, :biggrin:

Guess I am just as much of a redneck as I thought I was, lol.

No, there's no "standard" dialect or any of that. Aside from little things like on that quiz, only accent really differs, and it's all easily understood wherever you are. Though most people on TV have a fairly neutral accent and speak similarly by nature. Nor is using any particular way of speaking bad manners, unless you're saying something completely inappropriate. I actually heard a person say clusterf**k in a very formal setting speaking in front of tons of people. The little skin pigmentation already in the room quickly disappeared.