Sign in to follow this  
eraser_tr

Airliner makes emergency landing in Hudson River

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/15/new.york....rash/index.html

An airbus went down in the hudson river just before. It appears everyone got out ok :biggrin:

It suffered a direct hit from two G-00se missiles, causing both engines to fail. Amazing that the pilot was able to conduct an emergency landing. Ferrys and other boats got to it immediately to rescue passengers.

Reading the news as we speak

The crew made an excellent DITCHING the plane. :)

I hate it when people call this a CRASH.

The crew made an excellent DITCHING the plane. :)

I hate it when people call this a CRASH.

Good point, on most websites it'a a crash right now, while I saw pictures of most of the crew and passengers save on wings under extraction. you know, media.

Yes, INCREDIBLE DITCH! and a bit of luck too :ok:

Somebody tell the pilot that Airbus cannot land in USS Intrepid

Seriously, it takes skill to do so. I bet that some debris will be stationed

in the museum-carrier

Somebody tell the pilot that Airbus cannot land in USS Intrepid

Seriously, it takes skill to do so. I bet that some debris will be stationed

in the museum-carrier

s**t, Deja vu. I posted this on the other thread. Should get both together.

I used to live walking distance from the ditching site on the New Jersey side. There are ferry services in Weehawken and Hoboken that can get to that spot damn near instantly, as well as 2 marinas right there also.

I made it so that this is THE thread to talk about this incident.

If u were pilot would you say you landed it in a river?...dont think so,its technically a crash and pilots saved the lives of passengers....so I think they did an excellent job...:)

No, it was a ditching. It was an intentional water landing. If you lose a wing, and end up in the water, that's a crash.

Anyways, everyone is accounted for and OK.

while ago in the russia a mid air collision between 2 cargos... 5 peoples dead

Finally a bit of news that doesnt involve death , so glad to hear every ones well . I think the pilot and crew deserve a medal as do the passengers that didnt panick and kept their heads . The skill of the pilots to bring that plane down on the water with out it braking up shows great skill , and that A320's can not only fly but float as well ...........thats one expensive yacht lol

Someone pointed out on another site, that a heap of congratulations and that you's go to the boat crews that responded.

Both engines got taken out at once... that's a great pilot to be able to ditch in a river that quickly :yes:

Saw some of the passengers on the news; most of them are saying things like "I don't want to ride planes anymore because they aren't safe any more". IF the plane goes down and EVERYONE survives with non-life threatening injuries because of something out of the pilot's control, doesn't that prove that the plane itself is safe?

Hate this negative connotation of air travel.

Thank god all are safe.

I wonder if the people in the Emergency Exit row actually paid attention to the briefing and knew what to do.

Thank god all are safe.
Amen to that!

Looks like the pilots were real pros to get it down at 150 kts and the fuse stay intact.

I'm not sure if this means he had glider experience or not, but it would have certainly come in handy...

Rated: Airline Transport Pilot; Airplane Single and Multi-Engine Land; Commercial Privileges Glider; A320, B737, DC-9/MD-80, Learjet. 19,000 hours.

http://safetyreliability.com/yahoo_site_ad...e.317143407.doc

EDIT: he's a glider CFI and from the bio, sounds like was the perfect person in the right place at the right time!

Edited by deep

If any landing you can walk away from is a good one, this should be downright normal. I'm wondering how somebody broke both their legs though... And it is really good that it didn't cartwheel.

That being said, halfway though the school day when I heard about an airliner "crashing" in a river the first thing I thought was 'Airbus!" :tongue:

If any landing you can walk away from is a good one, this should be downright normal. I'm wondering how somebody broke both their legs though... And it is really good that it didn't cartwheel.

That being said, halfway though the school day when I heard about an airliner "crashing" in a river the first thing I thought was 'Airbus!" :tongue:

Not to be too political, but to be honest and I don't want and BS for this, I thought "Liberal media foofaraw...". But that was just because it was NYC and I was thinking of how the NYC media would blow it up into some "catastrophe"... Honestly I'm very angry with the media calling this a miracle.. Trust me, any pilot could have done this...

This was a great job by the pilots and the entire crew as well as the boaters in the area. As for the passengers, well i'm sure it was pretty scary for them and i could understand if they didn't want to fly again, but the fact of the matter is they are still alive due to the skill of the pilots and the design of the aircraft.