Sign in to follow this  
Rambler 1-1

The nicest looking airplane ever

The F-117A Nighthawk has my heart.

Anything that says Navy on it works for me.

post-25854-1243633977_thumb.jpg

Stretch

Edited by Stretch32

Your all wrong! The best looking aircraft is the XF-90

Lockheed_XF-90.jpg

A plane only a mom could love. Home away from home away from home.

The most beautiful aircraft ever, is the Spitfire, hands down.

Most sexy, well, that goes to the F-14.

Since we're on the subject, can anyone explain to me how the F-4 is ugly? I can't see it.

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

Spitfire Mk. 24, or possibly the Seafire Mk. 47.

Gorgeous stuff. The Battle of Britain flight used to practice above my parents' house every summer. Gotta love those Merlins at reasonably low level.

(Although the marques referenced above were of course powered by Griffons).

I love the looks of quite a few aircraft.

Spitfires are true classics, but not far off are P-51Ds and F4U-1As.

B-17s are clean and elegant despite their guns.

A-5s are clean and sleek.

Concorde certainly has lines as elegant as a Spitfire.

Su-27s combine many of the best features of F-14s, F-15s, and F-18s (all of which are pretty nice looking too!).

But if you press me to name one aircraft that is the "nicest looking", I would have to name an aircraft that is over 40 years old and still looks (and flies) faster than anything before or since:

the A-12/SR-71.

A close 2nd for me is the T-38A Talon with its big bubble canopies, coke-bottle waist, and sleek wings and tail surfaces... painted as a USAF Thunderbird even better yet.

The Lightning is SO AWESOME, I love it!

But if I had to choose only one aircraft, I think I'd choose the Flanker.

Many beauties there are: Skyhawks, Skyraiders, Viggens, but the only one is

Bf-109K in weathered skin :diablo:

hey, just 'cause I said I like the SU-27 in that splinter camo, doesn't mean all those other planes are ugly.

Some planes (the Skyraider, Warthog and Phantom, for example) are so ugly that they're pretty.

The A-5, the TSR-2 and the Concorde are beutiful because of their clean, sleek lines.

The Tomcat, Falcon (or viper, whatever), Rafale and others have such nice lines that they are simply irresistable.

The P-40 (P-40K especially) and the P-51 are hot in a "muscle car" sort of way,

and the Spitfire stands alone as just plain old gorgeous from any angle.

But as it stands, Beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder. And right now, I'm beholding that A-5 pic as my new desktop! :tongue:

109K??? Come on now, my personal fav is the A-4 Skyhawk, A model. Very elegant. As for the 109 series, the F-4 is just a pure, beautiful fighter!

Edited by Sakai

109K??? Come on now, my personal fav is the A-4 Skyhawk, A model. Very elegant. As for the 109 series, the F-4 is just a pure, beautiful fighter!

I put Skyhawks on the list, didn't I?

The F-series are indeed beautiful clean airframes, but late G and K models (erla haube) have that killer look :smile:

The most beautiful aircraft ever, is the Spitfire, hands down.

Most sexy, well, that goes to the F-14.

Since we're on the subject, can anyone explain to me how the F-4 is ugly? I can't see it.

Yeah... is ugly like a shark.. or a cold eyed barrel chested no necked delta operative that pulls his enemy into the shadows without warning and finishes him silently.. or ugly like the marine sniper who so scares the s**t out of enemy troops he becomes the most hated man on the battlefield.

After 2 world wars and Korea the art of fighter combat had retained to its gentlemanly ethics to a certain extent, it was contest of skill between officers in sleek graceful aircraft that were given female

names by their pilots. Take a look at the F-4.... it is a brute... probably the most manly looking "Fighter" that has ever been produced. Now are you really going to give this barbarian a girly name and

matching nose art? That would be like putting tits on a bull. The f-4 was pure testosterone, it was all about speed and power. The F-4 was like a hotrodded big block musslecar being sneered at by the

tight turning sports car crowd

The F-4 was designed to shoot you in the face before you even knew it was there. The enemy hated it for that reason, rival "Fighter" squadrons who flew other types that lacked the f-4's capability looked down on the phantom and its crews as it was an Interceptor and had an unfair bvr advantage. The rules of engagement that the f-4 faced in Vietnam seemed to have been written by the Mig design bureau and the north Vietnamese, they were nothing less than asinine... the equivalent of sending a sniper team into a room clearing CQB environment. Combine all of that with vietnam era missiles that were not nearly as capable/reliable as the gunless interceptor they were mounted on and you get the perfect formula for an ugly reputation.

In the last decade of the F-4's life in U.S. service the F-4 recived the late model sparrows and sidewinders that allowed it to fufill its potential as an interceptor.

Me, I like the Phantoms "uglyness" If I fly it right it will kick the butt out of some much more attractive and modern aircraft.

Yeah... is ugly like a shark.. or a cold eyed barrel chested no necked delta operative that pulls his enemy into the shadows without warning and finishes him silently.. or ugly like the marine sniper who so scares the s**t out of enemy troops he becomes the most hated man on the battlefield.

After 2 world wars and Korea the art of fighter combat had retained to its gentlemanly ethics to a certain extent, it was contest of skill between officers in sleek graceful aircraft that were given female

names by their pilots. Take a look at the F-4.... it is a brute... probably the most manly looking "Fighter" that has ever been produced. Now are you really going to give this barbarian a girly name and

matching nose art? That would be like putting tits on a bull. The f-4 was pure testosterone, it was all about speed and power. The F-4 was like a hotrodded big block musslecar being sneered at by the

tight turning sports car crowd

The F-4 was designed to shoot you in the face before you even knew it was there. The enemy hated it for that reason, rival "Fighter" squadrons who flew other types that lacked the f-4's capability looked down on the phantom and its crews as it was an Interceptor and had an unfair bvr advantage. The rules of engagement that the f-4 faced in Vietnam seemed to have been written by the Mig design bureau and the north Vietnamese, they were nothing less than asinine... the equivalent of sending a sniper team into a room clearing CQB environment. Combine all of that with vietnam era missiles that were not nearly as capable/reliable as the gunless interceptor they were mounted on and you get the perfect formula for an ugly reputation.

In the last decade of the F-4's life in U.S. service the F-4 recived the late model sparrows and sidewinders that allowed it to fufill its potential as an interceptor.

Me, I like the Phantoms "uglyness" If I fly it right it will kick the butt out of some much more attractive and modern aircraft.

Ahh It's poetry. Very well said my friend. There couldn't be a better analogy for the mighty PHANTOM.

Edited by charley111

Love pic #2 of the Rhino in full burner...Here's my contribution.

post-10548-12574707569572.jpg

post-10548-12574707758274.jpg

gotta love the rainbow. Fastest piston-powered plane ever, and perfectly streamlined.

The SR-71. Even by todays standards it still looks futuristic. I think the head on shots makes it look its most potent. Also, looks like something Batman would fly !

gallery_21253_374_89887.jpg

Edited by Atreides

yeah the batplane resembled it.