Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Reason for screen name....

Flyby started out as being a 'lightweight' contributer to forums, back when I was a novice and didn't know much. I'd fly in, help if I could, then disappear again before anybody could ask any questions. If I hung around, people might sus out how shallow my knowledge actually was... :biggrin:

The PC comes from my multiplayer tag because Flyby was taken, 'Pedigree Chum'. - (Dead meat in a tin can).

Mine comes from the days of FRP yore when Superhero 2044 hit the gaming world, and I read with increasing respect and awe of some created superheroes named Fartman (guess the superpower), What'sThatOnYourShoulder?Man (a very strange superpower indeed), Llamaman (who could summon a room full of live llamas) and, last but not least, TheMightyBuckets - complete with bucket on head naturally. Having warmed to such blatant silliness whilst all around tutted about some people not taking it very seriously, TheMightySRC was born out of admiration and as a tribute. Unfortunately, not owning Superhero 2044, or knowing anyone who did, said superhero never got to exercise his superpower - in fact, I'm not sure what I wanted it to be. Perhaps the ability to do double entry book keeping in tense situations, or being able to spontaneously dislocate his shoulder at will.

When I first joined SimHQ - after purchasing European Air War some years back - I wanted a WWII pilot nic. Hartmann would have been too cliche so I went with Barkhorn as - at #2 - he probably tried harder. :good:

The "1x" came into play when I lost my password and was no longer at the original e-mail address, so I had to sign up again and added the "1x". Since then I am always Barkhorn1x no matter what forum I am on.

Edited by Barkhorn1x

OT: Widowmaker, the German Starfighters crashed, because the Minister of Defense, Franz Josef Strauss,

wanted just that craft, but as a bomber. Lockheed told him, that this light craft with hardly any wings at all

was concepted as the perfect interceptor - almost a rocket, but not made for carrying big loads.

Strauss insisted, and it was modified with the known results.

It seems to be a German speciality, that there is always some bighead, who knows much better than the

experts, what to do. Hitler made a similarly wrong decision on the phantastic fighter and interceptor Me 262.

Paarma is my nickname and it means in finnish : gadfly :)

Got mine from the squad list of European Air War, IIRC, and then used it when I joined an MP squad in RB. Started off as a Sgt. and finished as a Cpt ;>)

I came up with mine about ten years ago when I first got online. I was on the old Delphi forums back then and needed a handle of some kind. About the only plane I knew at the time was Sopwith and I always liked the rank of Captain so I combined the two. CaptSopwith. I also went by the handle Prof or Udet (which I used when flying online in RB3D).

Exciting, I know...

A friend of ours always put "bear " behind a persons nickname, for example my wifes nickname is Daisy so she called her Daisybear. I never had a nickname but I'm real grumpy until I get my coffee in the mornings so she called me Grumpybear.

GB

I think it says "Bullethead" on my birth certificate.... It might as well be there, because I've moved around a lot over the years and the different groups of people in many of my new domiciles stuck me with that handle independently, although for different reasons.

Some people have called me that because they think my head is shaped like a .45 APC semi-wadcutter bullet (at least when my hair is cropped). Some folks did so because I reminded them of "Bungalo Bill" in the Beatles song, despite my mother being Cajun instead of Saxon. Others have done so as a combination of my perceived bull-headedness and my large collection of guns.

Anyway, I've been called "Bullethead" by so many different people for so long that if somebody calls by my real name, I often don't think they're talking to me.

My nick came from my World of Warcraft days. I had an Undead Warlock who I originally named "KillerClown" because he seriously looked like Ronald McDonald after having been dead 2 years. Red hair, pale face and everything. It was pretty funny. Anyways, I finally transfered him off the PvP server he was on and Blizzard told me I had to change his name, so I picked Hellshade. A "shade" being a spirit that is unable to rest and so it haunts people. For 2 years he was my main character, specializing in high end, sustained Damage Per Second (DPS) roles for raiding until I finally quit WoW. When I found OFF I just created this account out of habit. I really need to come up with something more WWI oriented, unless Olham wants to make a Sopwith Triplane skin with a devil on the side and flames on the top wings. :rofl:

Hellshade

My Name Legion comes from the amount of times that I get killed in games yet still pop up for more :hi: My name is one, but i am many.....

I'm not just a die-hard fan of flight sims but also of games like speedball - CoD 1,2,4 Medal of honour etc... & i was in the first 200 people to get Wolfenstein 3d & Doom from Id software in the UK when they first came out! so my gaming history is a bit long in the tooth now

I can certainly give people a run for their money in those games, but flight sims are my weakness,

but then again, what losses can I expect when i like to fly the old Be2 in OFF BHAH! :wink:

Edited by Tonyo - legion

I was a conscript of The Netherlands Army in 1994 and was given the nickname

Jansen because of my unpronouncable Swiss last name (= Ruedisueli...). Jansen was chosen because

there wasn't any in my platoon (??) and that was it. Shortly after I was sent to Bosnia

with the UN and came in a batallion where there were more than one Jans(s)en named guys,

so one clever sargeant took a look at my real last name and decided to christen me

"muesli". A name that was used in my whole tour, and stuck with my army buddies so much

that even my civ friends started using it. Now, almost everyone I know on a friendly basis

calls me Muesli!

:good:

Being in my dotage I needed a name I could remember for longer than an hour and a half.At the time I owned a sailboat of which I was very fond.The class she belonged to was Hood 23 so that was it.

It comes from when I used to play MechWarrior 4, MW4 Black Knight and MW4 Mercenaries online.

The "NS13" comes from a MW4 "Clan" I belonged to - NukeSylo13.

The "Jarhead" part comes from a nickname for US Marines. Since I spent 27 years in the Corps, I figure it fits me.

I still use the full "NS13Jarhead" for registering because unless you are one of the first 50 or so people on a forum, the plain old vanilla "Jarhead" is usually taken.

Attached is my Sig from the MW4 days. FYI, "LBX" is like a 105mm shotgun for giant, fighting robots.

post-45761-1248136503_thumb.png

Edited by NS13Jarhead

You would ask me a difficult question.........I can't remember why I have what I have...... :blink:

rb3d multiplayer,,,

i was getting hammered pretty bad first couple days...so changed my login name to sitting duck,,,,seemed appropriate

Well, 'above' in German would be 'ueber' (correctly 'uber' with two dots above the 'u').

Up Beyond All Repair is a good explanation for our crates and piloting style (Lol!)

Why did the early RB 3D skins have "glow pixels" (and what exactly are they)?

Yes, I was familiar with 'uber' ..have no idea how to put the dots above the 'u' though. :biggrin: In Old High German it was 'ubar,' with an 'a' or maybe that was slang? (click here)

I read some place else that instead of uber, ober is preferred, ie oberleutnant instead of uberleutnant?

Anyway, ubar is better then fubar and rabu is better then rabuf.. i guess.

In RedBaron II and 3d the palettes were so limited in colors that you had to be very careful of the palette colors you used in the terrain tiles, plane skins, or elsewhere, or they would glow in dawn/dusk, night, or other low light situations in the game and look really odd. And the only way you could be sure was to fly in the game each time and check it out.. really a frustrating, as well as extremely time consuming process.

I used some of these "glow" pixels in my OTE terrain tiles for RB3d and the Hell's Angels terrain to advantage to create the look of runway lights and faint lights of farm houses, lights on ships, etc., below while flying in the game

(Off doesn't have any of these problems, using a full RGB palette.)

Ras is just a short nickname for the last name of Rasmussen. Plane and simple, though I always wanted to use "Fishman" because I do a lot of that

Because SpeedFreight just doesn't sound right...

FC

I have had mine for the last 27 or 28 years. I shoot black powder guns and attend our local Rendezvous.... Burning Beard came about on a very rainy day, after vassssst quantities of beer and an up close and personal experience involving a fire in a tipi.

Beard

I got mine by playing pool & drinking beer. I made a nice shot (only 2 or three beers in of course), and a buddy dubbed me "Velvet Jeffers". The name worked out well for my early on-line Quake matches back at OSU.

I like wolves and I like Nordic mythology. There ya go.

OT: Widowmaker, the German Starfighters crashed, because the Minister of Defense, Franz Josef Strauss,

wanted just that craft, but as a bomber. Lockheed told him, that this light craft with hardly any wings at all

was concepted as the perfect interceptor - almost a rocket, but not made for carrying big loads.

It seems to be a German speciality, that there is always some bighead, who knows much better than the

experts, what to do. Hitler made a similarly wrong decision on the phantastic fighter and interceptor Me 262.

Yup :yes:

'Sandbagger'

1. Someone who makes out they are not too good at something then goes on to show they really are very good - a 'sandbagger'.

2. During my 27 service in the RAF I gained a reputation for telling exagerated or 'tall' stories. In the military, the term 'pull up a sandbag' meant someone was about to relate a story. Hence 'Sandbagger'.

Take your choice :wink:

Another was the Me-110 which was too heavy as a fighter, morphed into the '210' which was a money-pit-boodoggle, which became the '410' which finally flew. The problem seems to be that the 'suits' kept changing, or adding on, to the mission. A plane to please everyone, and failed at most everything.

But the Germans have no lock on that. Read a good biography of John Boyd, an Air Force major who made planes lkike the F-15 and the F-22 possible. His whole career was an uphill fight against the 'multi-purpose airplane'.