Sign in to follow this  
Dave

What Do You All Think About the IPad?

I saw it and I like it. It may be a giant IPhone or IPod to some but its something I have wanted with that kind of functionality. I am going to get one. I am sure I will like it as much as I like my IPhone. Oh I dont care about what people may think about Apple. This is for people who like Apple and the like. if you dislike Apple then please move along. It will save a flame war.

If I can use it as a larger ITouch, I'd be happy. I always wanted a simple bedside PC - a heavy clunky laptop wouldn't do. I think this might be just right.

I've been waiting for a color eReader. Graphic novels, and other media are not so great in B&W. Not sure this is the one, but color is here!

I'm sick of i-everything

Too much bollox...(IMHO)

I got an iPod for Xmas...thats as far as iWant to go

I don't know, not hatin on Apple, just hear me out a minute.

My wife has a Dell Mini 9 netbook, basically the same size form factor.

Now, my wife's computer is a very useful device. It has a real usable keyboard, good for touch typing, yet fits into a standard size mom purse (not a 'night on the town' purse). You can do everything on it that 95% of people need, other than CPU heavy stuff (video editing, gaming, etc)...basically everything the iPad does now.

I'm not questioning the interface of such a device. It's well known that if anyone can make a device very user friendly, it's Apple.

What I am questioning is the overall use. The problem I see is that in a lot of ways, this device isn't that useful. It's too big for being a cell phone like device, but too small (and no keyboard) to use as a real laptop. The closet analog is the Kindle, which is useful, but as a reader only.

I know it will come with a plug in keyboard. My question is why they didn't do something similar to a TabletPC setup, but using a smaller version of a MacAir chassis. Now, not only can you do everything the iPad does, but have a real keyboard when you need it with the same small form factor.

Another way to think of it is for road warriors specifically. Assume the iPhone has you covered, but now you need devices to work, web surf, watch movies, email, etc. You can either have two devices (an iPad and a laptop), or one device (a TabletPC in the same form factor as an iPad). I just think people tend to reach a limit of what they'll carry with them on a regular basis.

Before anyone says that Apple can't stumble....anyone remember Apple TV? Yea, that didn't exactly work out as expected.

I'll be curious to see how well this works.

FC

i-hear woman are bitchin about it everywhere... must be that time of month.

M

iThink imight be in trouble, because in my messy handwriting, a and o look somewhat similar. This could lead to confusion if I ever have to write about how the iPod and IPad are different. :blink:

other then that, I really don't care about the newest ithing. i'm happy with my PC and cheap iPod ripoff.

Edited by Rambler 1-1

Ok, I was over at The Onion, saw this, and (due to its relevence) just had to post it:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/frantic_steve_jobs_stays_up

My real opinion of the iPad? Don't got one, because I don't know enough about it, but I do wonder how well it will hold up; don't recall tablet PC's doing too well. We shall see.

I think it could be useful if used as an electronic portfolio, if you take it as somekind of multirole device wich would replace paper, it could be useful for students and desk employees with some mobility. Along with some multimedia features, it will find a place. But still people has to feel that they may find use for something too big for being a cell-phone or mp3 class device, but i guess, not as powerful as an standard PC

I'm disappointed, it really is just a big iPod touch with no extra functionality, you can't even have e-mail and the web browser open at the same time as it's got the same one app at a time restriction. I mean for the size you'd think it might do something extra and maybe have more than 64GB of memory.

For less money you can pick up an Asus T91 which is about the same size, does all the usual netbook stuff, but also has the screen rotate and foldback over the keyboard to basically give you the same form factor as the iPad, actually if you spec it up you can get GPS and TV built in as well.

What do I think about it? Another must have for that social class known as "the i-Trend Whores". What's next? Toilet accesories? i-Wipes? i-Scrubs? I see Rugg has already identified a possible prototype for the i-Pad II.... :lol:

Yeah, not much of a fan of apple or the way their customers have a bit of a fanatical attitude towards their products, but I really do like this. I like the idea of having a laptop class device that is more mobile that a laptop and less akward to carry around. I say that as a student who finds it hard to take mine into a lecture, fitting it on to those small notepad sized lecture seats and so on. I don't wanna have to buy a mini laptop specifically for that role. If I'm going to buy a new computer/data slate device, I want it to be much more than a glorified word processor . I think something like this would fit the bill perfectly, especially considering it's wirelss web and multimedia capabilities.

USAFMTL....iHippie?

:yikes: Say it ain't so.

Class Lecture? You bring pen and paper. They made SR-71 with a slide rule. They can't do that anymore.

Not directly iRelevant, more PowerPoint related, but interesting...

Powerpoint engineering and the downfall of quality ~> http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=5079

Although one would hope the author, or "blogger" today, would fully capatalize the title.

What do I think about it? Another must have for that social class known as "the i-Trend Whores".

Well that includes me, my wife, Column5, we all have iphones, I have an Ipod too. It isnt a status thing with me as I have never whipped out my iphone/ipod to impress someone. I am not that shallow. I use it because they provide the functionaility I like and its ease of use. I like the ipad for the ebook feature amoung many things. So people can call me a droid blah blah blah blah, I can give a rat's ass. I like it because I like gadgets and this is something I would use. H-man you know Sheila, she is the most anti gadget person on the planet and she loves her iphone.

Class Lecture? You bring pen and paper. They made SR-71 with a slide rule. They can't do that anymore.

...or I could just record it and not have to concentrate on the writing. :smile: SR-71...? Bah! Join the 21st century! We've got robots for that sorta thing now. :tongue:

One thing I find interesting. It's getting the nickname "iTampon" here, dunno about there.

I think the lack of integrated "real" keyboard is a major shortcoming. Typing on one of those virtual keyboards just blows, no tactile feedback at all. I also think the inability to expand storage is a shortcoming. If you think you can get by with a 32GB model but then find out you needed 64, what do you do? You go out and buy the entire 64GB model, that's what, and pray you can sell the 32GB one! No storage expansion is another mistake.

The question I have...what about Facebook apps? My wife has an Asus netbook with the Atom CPU but she uses my Dell C2D laptop more often when using the internet because apparently a lot of those Facebook things like Farmville run like crap on the Asus' small CPU. How fast will this iPad at 2x the price of the netbook be?

lady_justice: Did the prototype come with a belt?

Lymed: Does the Period Tracker app come free?

fauxfruit: If I order this, will my boyfriend and I have to worry if it comes late?

andBegorrah: If you and your friends all buy one, will they sync up?

boston_nj: Meh. I'll wait until they come out with the iDivaCup

morninggloria: Don't wear white jeans while using an iPad, and especially don't use an iPad in front of your crush. You're a teen magazine embarrassing moment waiting to happen.

ms negative the easy-going unicorn: someone needs to make a 'mysterious blue liquid stain on white' wallpaper for this.

LilSpitfire: Later in the year they will be releasing the companion tablet pen, the Ipon.

Vesuvius At Home (I believe in peace, bitch): But what if the cute boys see me shopping for one? What if my dad has to take me??

NellMood: It's so beautiful when an electronics company finally becomes a woman...

Cinnamoncanuck: @NellMood: Aunt Flo will be so happy! Reply

soykatrina: Eh, I prefer the CVS brand. A few bucks less but does the same thing...

vlvtjones: So will iffy Wifi coverage be called iSpotting?

morninggloria: Can I get a scented iPad for when my data feels not-so-fresh?

Mary McCarthyite: Everyone, just try to Stay(free) calm and Poise(d). It's Always nice to see a new product on the market. I Depend on Apple to come up with great ideas. Maybe we're taking this out of Kotex.

Lymed: Somebody give the iPad a Red Bull, because it ain't no good without wings.

andBegorrah: Are you there, God? It's me, Marketing.

NellMood: iPads are for 8th graders. I'm waiting for the iTampon, because I prefer to do all my interneting from inside my vagina.

BicSharpie: Hopefully it will help people deal with the 24-hour news cycle.

tjakabon: "It surfs the web AND stops the bleeding."

Gelatobaby: And you can use the giant QWERTY keyboard to get your period on the #iPad!

CarolBlymire: Is #apple making an iPad for light-flow days? Just wondering...

Trish1981: iPad? Really? All I can say is, I'm sticking with Always, bitches.

tremendousnews: So I can say "That chick is on her iPad" and not be called a pig? Thank you Apple.

melissapierce: iPad has changed "the conversation" from how we use tech in context to how we use tech as Kotex. (who named this thing?)

TwittsMcGee: I haven't heard this many period jokes since I was forced to watch The View last month. #iPad

kathycacace: Okay, just one more. The iPad: protecting your data from embarrassing incidents.

Johnpapa: "64 gig iPad will forever be known as the heavy flow model."

H-man you know Sheila, she is the most anti gadget person on the planet and she loves her iphone.

Don't have any beef with the iPhone, just in general I don't know if there is a big enough market for something in-between an iPhone and a netbook.

FC

More is**t to buy. Whatever happened to the iRack and iRan anyway?

As an electronic portfolio or something like that may be useful for the business world, for product demonstrations, advertisements and graphic design work etc. But for the average consumer, I don't see that great a use.

haha

I really don't need something that small and limited - has no use to me what so ever home or at work - Already have things of similar size, with built in keyboards that run any real OS and do anything for testing.

Bad enough cleaning fingerprints off non touchscreens - and tbh a mouse pointer is a damn sight more accurate than my clumsy fingers will ever be :good: