Sign in to follow this  
EricJ

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Review.

I used it myself until I got a Force Feedback Sidewinder.

I've never been much into FF sticks for some reason, just the plain jane stick worked fine for me.

It looks a lot like the logitech attack 3 I've used for ages. I recently got a cheap Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS which is excellent considering it's price.

I've hammered mine for three years now and with a dust cloth wipe it looks like new.

Just wish it had a few more buttons, even another two would do.

I bought this stick not long ago and it is pretty good bang-for-the-buck. I see they modeled it after a stick in a real civ jet liner but can't remember which one now. Airbus? I also own Microosft FFB2 and Saitek X52 but just wanted a decent stick that you just plug in quickly and go fly and this stick suits that purpose. I like that I can control the axis sensitivity in the little app it comes with.

One of the unsung heroes of the joystick world. For $30, it is one of the best and accurate sticks I used. I finally had to replace mine after 10 years of use. Some people don't like the angle of the stick, but it didn't bother me. I upgraded to CH, but I still have mine under the desk - just in case...

Edited by viper63a
  • Like 1

I just bought another one of these, to replace one which I have used heavily for about a decade.

The old one finally wore out physically (wouldn't stay centered, so I was having to fly with full right rudder to go in a straight line).

The new one is a smooth as silk, and a great piece of equipment.

I have had other joysticks over the years, including a Suncom F15 and throttle (great stick and throttle, but I think the company went defunct) and a Thrustmaster which I didn't like much (the internal spring was way too stiff to move the stick easily in flight), but this Logitech stick is my joystick of choice.

• Like 2

Still using its' predecessor, lo these many years.  The rubber collar at the base of the stick separated a long time ago, but no problems yet.  The modern counterpart is still in the box, awaiting failure of the original unit.  New unit has more programmable buttons, and that can be very useful.

Original stick came with an adaptor from plug on stick to USB.  

Not an expert, but I'm not sure one can expect anything more from a joystick than to be reliable,  long-lived, and user-friendly.  No doubt there are better joysticks out there (at vastly greater prices), but not sure if they are worth the expense.  Willing to be persuaded, but it might take some doing, especially as I have the modern version in the bull-pen. 

got two of them bought one a couple years ago and late last year spotted on in the used bin at the computer..I could tell it had never been used Great stick and for sims where I need extra buttons I have an old Nostromo keypad a M8 sent me ..Programming it is about the same as my long gone X-52 I love it because I can take multiple key commands and set up a macro..Had troubles because couldn't find win & drivers Called my friend in Omaha and he told me the Vista drivers work well..

Mine's still working after many years but recently it's been requiring frequent calibration due to an off center issue. Was surprised to see they still make these so I just ordered a new one!

Got the new Logitec Extreme 3D Pro installed and it works great! Compared to the old one I had which was probably just worn out, the new one has noticeably better precision, no on center "drifting" which was the main problem with the old one, plus the centering spring is much firmer. After all these years, it's still a good product. :smile:

• Like 1

Good info. gents' - this will probably be my (new) future joystick, and as far as I remember it has the twist rudder function too which should come in handy. I still use the Logitech Attack 3d, with the numbers 4 and 5 buttons mapped for left/right rudder. The Attack 3d developed some looseness eventually with the down axis (down elevator), but I managed to solve that with a bit of broken toothpick glued into the loosened plastic socket for the down axis :biggrin:, giving me about 10% down axis by default which now translates to level elevator in FE2/SF2.

EDIT: I think there's a (Chinese) knockoff of the Extreme 3d Pro available on Amazon (can't remember the long name of that model now), that also includes force feedback and the twist rudder, but I'm apprehensive about tossing out 50 dollars on a no-name imitation.

Happy flying and patching,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.

On 10/31/2019 at 7:53 PM, VonS said:

EDIT: I think there's a (Chinese) knockoff of the Extreme 3d Pro available on Amazon (can't remember the long name of that model now), that also includes force feedback

I'd be a bit hesitant about shelling out money on a force feedback stick for SF/FE. I had a Logitech Wingman Force 3D and was never happy with it after trying various settings over a few months. It didn't have many buttons either. Not sure if the problems were related to the stick itself or maybe force feedback isn't enabled very well in the ThirdWire sims but it might be worth looking for more feedback specific to SF/FE.

I still have a Logitech Formula Force GP steering wheel that has been excellent for the half dozen or so driving games I've used over the years. Always possible to get good "feel" with every game I tried.

• Thanks 1

I've been using this stick for years on all kinds of flight sims. It's been the best stick I've owned. It's getting increasingly wobbly in the centering so that my dead zone keeps going up in my settings. Has anyone tried to refurbish one of these?

I've had my gripes about the Extreme 3D Pro over the years but it's been my stick of choice since 2002. Finally i've gotten to the last straw. It took a bit of doing but i finally got my computer to recognize the stick but after a windows update it's 100 percent no go. Can't be used for SF2 no matter what and so that's pretty much it. Knowing that Logitech doesn't support the software anymore either and i figure it's time to walk away from it (and Logitech as a whole) So now begins the hassle of finding a decent replacement.

I was actually searching for e new joystick via youtube and Amazon when i found others that had a similar problems with the Extreme 3D not being recognized by the Logitech software. Someone in the Amazon comments tried grouping his USB plug ins and moving them and it got me to thinking. So i took one of my Targus USB hubs and ran the keyboard, mouse, and speakers into it then plugged the hub into the rear of the PC. The joy stick went alone into a front USB and that turned the trick. The joystick is spot on now. Apparently, keeping it isolated is the solution.

• Like 1