Sign in to follow this  
Stary

The "I'm not going to watch the wedding" thread

I definitely am, not :no:

all the best fellow Brits, Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton, but I'm not joining the hype.

Oh, btw, I had to google Justin Bieber to find out who the hobbledehoy is so I'm not much into mainstream :rofl:

Makes 2 - dont worry I cant imagine the majority of the UK gives a toss - but it was nice they gave us the day off.

Was in a comedy club last week and they asked if anyone was going to watch it - total silence - obviously I suspect some might watch it - its just not very cool to admit such a thing :bye:

Guess Capt. Jenkins 8th Lancers would watch.....:good:

Houdoe,

Derk

• Like 1

prob wont watch it but only cause i'll be on my way to my two week training. we Yanks spent all that time breaking free from the Crown just to be fascinated by it centuries later. besides pricess Kate looks to be a cutie esp with the British taxpayer buyin her wardrobe!:rofl:

I'm on vacation tomorrow. If you think I'm getting up a 3am to do ANYTHING you're crazy.

I am 1000 times more excited about watching Michael Scott's (Steve Carrel) last episode on the Office tonight than I could ever be about some celebrity wedding.

So, no, I will not be watching.

prob wont watch it but only cause i'll be on my way to my two week training. we Yanks spent all that time breaking free from the Crown just to be fascinated by it centuries later. besides pricess Kate looks to be a cutie esp with the British taxpayer buyin her wardrobe!:rofl:

She is truly hot - the first for a Royal IMO - glad to see they have changed their inbreeding policy in recent years.

I am 1000 times more excited about watching Michael Scott's (Steve Carrel) last episode on the Office tonight than I could ever be about some celebrity wedding.

So, no, I will not be watching.

How many series of that did they do? we only got 2 series of the original and an Xmas special - pah

It's been interesting seeing all the hoopla around the wedding, but frankly it's more of a distraction than anything. I won't be watching it, but it makes me wonder what it would be like to be ultra-rich. Also, it makes me glad my wedding wouldn't be under that kind of scrutiny!

Count me out as watching it... I will be meeting my dad at Vienna Airport told him I will be outside just in case the TV's inside are showing it...

And Stary who is this Justin Bieber character... cant remember him being in the Royal Family whoever he is!!!

Edited by Slartibartfast

Justin was an example of my ignorance :wink:

on the positive note, she is hot indeed

I find it interesting (the fascination, not the wedding) on a social analysis level.

Like someone else mentioned, we got away from a feudal style social system/government long ago, yet still find the trappings of it interesting.

I often have conversations about this with my wife (Canadian) and the idea of having a head of state (the Queen) and the head of government (the PM). Such a concept is odd to Americans because the head of state and government is the same (the POTUS). But even in the US, we have our own fascinations...the Kennedys for instance.

But yes, she is hot.

"Right you are, Kenny!"

VR

Nope. Starts here at 0400. I'll get up at 0500 to get ready for work anyway, but I don't plan to tune in. I'll watch the highlights (over and over and over and over) later.

Im not getting up at 0400 to watch it and even if it was a noon, I still wouldnt watch it.

Ya know, it might be worth watching if I knew somebody would streak across the area in front of the cameras butt naked, having the fuzz chase him/her around for a few minutes. Would definitely be a good laugh.

What wedding? Who's getting married? ;)

Thought about the same...

Just not interested in all this, Real Life is more important.

Down here, we have always had some batch of weird TV commentators always completely extatic about the high ancient aristocracy, the princely courts, and all of the monarchic decorum - and most probably ready to taste with not-feigned delight what their Royal Highnesses drop each morning in their princely pisspots. I could have watched the ceremony just to hear the surrealist commentaries from such morons.

Actually, I'm on a working day this morning, but I could have watched the ceremony, for it's just like using a Time Machine throwing you back to the Victorian era - but indeed, at a much higher cost for the British subject than the excellent historical fictions the BBC can produce.

• Like 1

I often have conversations about this with my wife (Canadian) and the idea of having a head of state (the Queen) and the head of government (the PM). Such a concept is odd to Americans because the head of state and government is the same (the POTUS). But even in the US, we have our own fascinations...the Kennedys for instance.

"Protecting the Queen's safety is a task that is gladly accepted by Police Squad. No matter how silly the idea of having a queen might be to us, as Americans, we must be gracious and considerate hosts." (Lt Drebin in public interview, The naked gun)

I am sorry, I think you boys are just jealous of us Brits.:rolleyes:

Take my next few hours. I get a free day off work, the misses has gone to her sisters with the baby to watch something on tv. And I get to watch films or play Nato Fighters or Vietnam Exp with no distractions. Its a hard life :smile:

Cheers

Snapper 21

Was in a comedy club last week and they asked if anyone was going to watch it - total silence

You weren't in Sherborne were you, same thing happened to me there!

I work in the media business. And sure as ice is cold when the wedding was on everybody but me gathered in the room with the TV... Ah, but I had a quiet time then! Could go take a look at CA Forums without any hassle... :grin:

I was hoping it would rain in London today. Just to see how it would affect those misguided individuals who camped out for the last few days in the streets just to get a good vantage point. :rolleyes:

Well, no job presently here, and I was up early as usual, so I watched some of it.

Must say here's a monarchist speaking, that's my belgian side & feelings(and I'm not far from thinking that France wouldn't lose much with royals & a parlamentarian system rather than 5th Republic).

I've been raised hearing my Grand Ma' stories about her learning secretly patriotic songs about Belgium & the King during WW1 occupation, manufacturing flags for the awaited liberation hidden in the cellar, telling stories about parades on liberation, learning me the country's Kings list...

So I quite understand the interest, links and "feelings" lots of people in kingdoms can feel towards a Monarchy & the dynasty as I do share most of them regarding Belgium. Seeing King Albert last July was a great moment for me, King Baudouin's death is a vivid memory to me. I'm also an history buff, therefore I do not see the men, even if Albert is a good man, but the symbol, the embodiement of the country's history, the historical link that goes back as well to my ancestors history.

Perhaps I was punished for being a Traitor to the Crown...I went Fishing instead...and caught bugger all