Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

P4 DEVELOPMENT SCREENSHOTS Discussion

At the moment on our higher end PCs it seems to be 60 most of the time, (i.e. Vsync'd to 60, not sure how high it would go haven't tested with Vsync off) which is fab considering the extra detail in there, but we do have more features to add so very hard to say what it will be in the end or what difference it will be on lesser machines etc.

I'm all for more features. The credit card is cocked and loaded, ready for use even as a pre-order. Thanks for all of the updates and pictures. They really are fantastic. Again, I must confess I truly believed you'd need to jump to a different engine in order to push P4 to the next level and I was completely wrong. Given the attention to detail in graphics and performance, I can't wait to find out what else you've done with sound, AI, FM, DM and Workshop features.

Hellshade

If you guys want some more detail on the Lee-Enfield, I've got one from 1916 in dad's rifle safe that I could take pictures of and upload ;)

just wanted to express once more how dead on the landscape in the pics are. i'm living in southern germany, and the enviroment and landscape is pretty much the same as northern france. when i'm on the road i often catch myself looking at the landscape with OFF eyes and i'm amazed how accurate it all looks. the trees, the random fields, the colours, the hazes and fog layers, the houses and villages. especially in dull weather.

it's no deal to create an enviroment to look like some random place with some green fields and rivers etc like in most other sims. but to make it look like northern france, so that you look at it and know that it must be northern france if you wouldn't know, and not canada or nebraska or northern germany etc., that's the true art-form created by the devs.:drinks:

Guys, I've not been posting for quite a while but been following up the developments and I must say I'm impressed and really looking forward to the next OFF incarnation.

What is most impressive in my opinion regarding the graphics we see is the balance there is between the ground textures, the ground objects and the aeroplanes and cockpits. All of them create a very lifelike picture, especially if one thinks of the age of the base CFS3 engine. Now if you dial in all the native OFF virtues of the campaign engine and historical accuracy, you have another winner in the making.

Now to be fair, I have to also mention the things that put me off, or at least used to in BHaH. The first one is the depiction of water and shorelines. I know it is a CFS3 thing but water surfaces are very poorly rendered, especially if one compares with how water looks in Il-2 for example, a similar age sim. Furthermore, shorelines, especially lake sides are very angular and unrealistic looking, or at least used to be. Is there something new on these issues in P4?

The second one is the online performance which actually limits the sim to offline use only. The extremely laggy online performance is what stopped my fellow squadmates in the Boys of 60 squad to move entirely to Il-2 for our online adventures. I know that there is not much you can do on this issue so I really don't hold it against you. You actually did try to make it better in P3. I just wish we could enjoy the OFF wonderland online too without annoying issues.

Please don't misunderstand my few negative comments above. I have been with OFF since P1 and will continue to support your fine work for the duration of this adventure. Thank you for all you do for us. Keep up the great work.

Thanks yes Dimus there are always going to be annoying things, even in some of the newer engines sims there are things that still really annoy people or don't look great in the scenery (I won't site examples not good form). We can't promise to make it all perfect in every single area but we have improved dramatically all along in many areas (and even now there is more we can do). But what we have done in P4 already - especially with the new AI and other features we can't talk about yet :) - it's re-invigorated us too so must be doing something good.

Thanks yes Dimus there are always going to be annoying things, even in some of the newer engines sims there are things that still really annoy people or don't look great in the scenery. We can't promise to make it all perfect in every single area but we have improved dramatically all along in many areas (and even now there is more we can do). But what we have done in P4 already - especially with the new AI and other features we can't talk about yet :) - it's re-invigorated us too so must be doing something good.

I will down a pint of the Speckled stuff to that!...hussah! :drinks:

An improved AI? Sounds great. There haven't been any AI discussions here recently, so it's good to know that you haven't forgotten the subject. :drinks:

Naw, I'm sure they have (looooooong) list with things they need to do, and then other (loooooooong) lists

with ideas and wishes, what could be done or improved, and then (loooooong) list of what to check and

counter-check to get it finally right - there must be a helluvalot of work in a sim, I'm sure.

But they won't forget anything - they have those lists...

It's the loooong list of things they've already done for P4 that has me licking my lips. Perfection tomorrow, I'll take P4 today... please.

I've seen the latest pics and it looks just fabulous! :ok:

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Those are some mighty fine Snipe pics. I dare say I'll be trying one of those as soon as possible. Well done Gents.

Hellshade

I just looked at the new photos and what can I say but everything looks amazing. I hope you guys take a step back every so often and admire the fantastic work that you're all doing. Keep it up men. :salute:

Pol, now you're just being mean to poor old Widowmaker with those latest pics you've posted. :biggrin:

Beautiful stuff.

:) thought I was treating him but I guess it could be torture too :)

Widowmaker must have ruined his keyboard with drooling by now. Maybe he even suffered from electric shock.

That Snipe looks like a solid craft which might be fun to fly.

But there are those brass parts again in the cockpit, like flying cartridges - what are they???

Tsk! You asked that before Olham, they're directional lights. :grin:

:) thought I was treating him but I guess it could be torture too :)

On the next release have his name on a brass plate somewhere on the control panel grin.gif

Beard

Beautiful. Now how about a Breguet or a Salmson next? Or maybe a Dorand AR? :grin: