Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

F-16 over runs runway at airshow - oopsy

One perfectly beautiful jet ruined! :this:

Also didn't think the nose gear would collapse so easily - must have hit something!

The gear entering the soft lawn won't even need to hit anything. Sudden increase of resistance, probably the leg with small wheels rapidly sunk into mud too.

Ooops at least only his pride is injured... from the way he was moving afterwards...

Glad the pilot is OK and no spectators were injured.

Thank God it did not flip over.

I am less concerned about the plane. That guy went through quite a bit to become a fighter pilot, and now this one incident could mean the end of his career. I hope there was some kind of failure so that the pilot gets a free pass from the review board and continues to fly. It always kills me to see someone lose their combat flying career for merely being human and/or unlucky.

• Like 1

good to see he made it okay... and no one got hurt

That should buff right out.....................!

Hard to tell from the angle of the video. I suspect he went off of one side of the runway rather than overshot the end. But we'll just have to wait for the accident report.

No problem at all. Pilot is fine. Plane will be repaired in some days. Needs only a new nosegear, a new nose and perhaps a new engine. All repairable. Such things happen. Its not the first time that this happen and it will not be the last time. :grin:

Ty::

That should buff right out.....................!

There are times when one scrolls down to read the next poast, not suspecting anything extraordinary will happen, and then one loses control and busts out laughing without warning. This is one of those times.

No problem at all. Pilot is fine. Plane will be repaired in some days. Needs only a new nosegear, a new nose and perhaps a new engine. All repairable. Such things happen. Its not the first time that this happen and it will not be the last time. :grin:

Good to see the pilot walk away. According to Flying Off. Prune "a good landing is one you can walk away from" :drinks: So far so good but my guess is that it's a write off, even without cat4 damage: it is F 16C 87-0269 "City of Deatsville" of 100TFS Tuskegee Airman (sounds familiair does it ?) , a more than 20 years old Block 30H with probably quite some flying hours (3000 + ?), probably structural damage or a distorted airframe, engine ruined etc. I guess there are quite some airframes available from disbanded units or at AMARC as replacements...... see F16 Net

Houdoe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

An aircraft incident due to pilot error doesn't necessarily end a pilot's career...depending on the circumstance.

Typically, a career will end due to willful negligence. An example would be the moron who led the way too low flyby of a football game back in November of last year.

However, for something where the pilot was attempting to comply with all the rules and accidently put himself in a bad situation, the outcome can be different. An example was a few years ago, during an IFF sortie at the 435th, the T-38C pilot was attempting to check his six by turning himself around in the seat, using his hand to brace on the canopy rail...a good technique normally. The problem was his hand slipped mometarily, and it hit the flap lever without his knowledge. The flaps deployed at 400+ knots, and one 'slipstreamed' almost immediately, causing a vicious, out of control condition. The pilot, not knowing what had happened, ejected and the aircraft was lost. Post incident, the investigation revealed what happened. A pilot error, but certainly not an intentional or forseen one. The commander of AETC basically said: "Cost of doing business, press on." and the pilot went back to work (after being medically cleared of course). We all got the brief, but it was one of those things...it had never happened before in the 50+ years the aircraft has been around, and probably won't happen again before the aircraft retires.

It wasn't his day...but he lived to tell about it.

Looking at the pictures of the F-16 incident, it looks like a wheel brake failure. The reason I think that is that the aircraft is not nose down prior to leaving the runway. If he landed long, and was hot coming to the end of the runway, he'd be stomping on the brakes. The anti-skid would be working hard, and you'd probably see dust coming up from the rear wheels. The main thing is that the nose gear strut would be compressed, with the aircraft in a nose down cant.

You don't see any of that. The aircraft looks like it's just coasting...no cant at all until it hits the grass.

I'd be curious to hear what happened...but I'm leaning toward hydraulic/brake failure.

FC

Speaking of brake failure:

E-1366.jpg

On the first NACA research flight of airplane #52-5778, pilot Scott Crossfield had to make a powerless "deadstick" landing following an engine fire warning. This was something North American's own test pilots doubted could be done, for the early F-100 lacked flaps and landed "hot as hell." Crossfield followed up the flawless approach and landing by coasting off the lakebed, up the ramp, and then through the front door of the NACA hangar, frantically trying to stop the F-100A, which had used up its emergency brake power. Crossfield missed the NACA X fleet, but crunched the nose of the aircraft through the hangar's side wall. It is reported that Chuck Yeager then proclaimed that while the sonic wall had been his, the hangar wall was Crossfield's!

Looking at the pictures of the F-16 incident, it looks like a wheel brake failure. The reason I think that is that the aircraft is not nose down prior to leaving the runway. If he landed long, and was hot coming to the end of the runway, he'd be stomping on the brakes. The anti-skid would be working hard, and you'd probably see dust coming up from the rear wheels. The main thing is that the nose gear strut would be compressed, with the aircraft in a nose down cant.

You don't see any of that. The aircraft looks like it's just coasting...no cant at all until it hits the grass.

I'd be curious to hear what happened...but I'm leaning toward hydraulic/brake failure.

FC

Well I will go with the pros analysis :good:

Speaking of brake failure:

Nice find