FLOGGER23

Why is everybody bugging out from SF series?

I don't think I can wrangle an AFM... that's beyond me

i dont intend to do any jets for DCSW, i was just trying to figure out the exporter with a model less complex than my carrier,

I started with some simpler low poly untexturted models, and they imported fine, but the Axes were off,

Then i moved up to working on getting a model with textures to export correctly, \

So I adjusted the Axes, and did the "texture cooling" that's in the ED tool, Exported.

Model was oriented correctly, but it was like a mirror, super reflective, back to the FAQ on EDs boards.

So I opened each texture in the Material Editor, and Set the Reflection map to 0, No More super Shiney Model, but canopy class was still solid.

So, Then set the canopy to the pre-set "glass" material from the EDM Tool, Exported, put the textures in the ModelViewer TempTexture Folder, and it loaded the model fine, with a few errors on the model, but there's exporter options to fix those.

Also Imported/Merged one of the Seats i downloaded from here.

Now I'd Just have to look at Lights, Animations, Etc. I was gonna use the F-18C as a Base, but I have no idea where ED hides the AI Planes LAU files.

I'm just fooling around with the EDM Exporter in my free time to see what works and what doesn't.

Looking at the Error Log from when I tried to export the Entire CVN model, it does not Like SPLINES (lines) at All. so those would all have to be converted to meshes.

So far though, even without contacting ED Directly, between the FAQs on their boards, the exporter logs, and the model viewer, the learning curve for exporting to DCS is alot friendlier.

The Export Tools help a ton, then its just a matter of learning the LAU Files.

AFMs require crazy complex physics and engineering equations...

Guys, perhaps the DCS development stuff could be done in the DCS forum?

• Like 1

That's fine SkateZilla but just wondering :smile:

Maybe Spinners but this is kinda why we're leaving SF2, and not created by me, so I tend to just go with the topic since essentially it is on topic.

YAF never had Floggers

Is there no end to the genius of North Korean mechanics? Any idiot can swipe something from someone who has it. It takes real genius to take something from someone who never had it. Of course, this intake thing could be insurance fraud.

Edited by Sheriff001

Guys, perhaps the DCS development stuff could be done in the DCS forum?

naa it's now "ohh-ahh great work SkateZilla" thread :tongue:

:wink:

edit:

no, not jumping onto SZ, just pointing out he stole took over the topic

Edited by Stary

i belive the term is 'thread hijack'

one wonders if it'll take 8 years to get the Nimitz into DCS, like it did for SF

• Like 1

i thought it was the "SZ Quit Rambling about the same Shiz" topic?, dont tell me i posted in the wrong one..

:beach:

• Like 1

i belive the term is 'thread hijack'

one wonders if it'll take 8 years to get the Nimitz into DCS, like it did for SF

the nimitz was in SF1 a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago? like 2006ish. from Beta .3 -> 1.0 CVW-3 was so long because I had 2 jobs and I had moved to an apartment, so between 2 jobs and other things I had about 4 hours a week MAYBE to work on stuff. Im down to 1 hourly job now so I have more time on the weekends.

Yep, so true.

Back at the time I got into scale modelling, cause I was really fond of military aircraft (not because of their killing power, but because of the brilliance and ingenuity in each one) and that hobby was a way to get me closer to them - sort of enable me to touch the shape of the machine. Still scale modelling has its limits - you can build one or two configurations of the aircraft and you have to move to the next one and soon you realize because of your own endless curiosity you need a room the size of an exhibition hall to store all your models and you have to stop (or start throwing away, which is painful enough).

And then I came accross TW games and this community and they gave me unlimited options to satisfy my curiosity for military aircraft. You want to see a Phantom with full bombs load - sure, no problem, just start the sim. You want to see it fully A2A loaded - same thing. OK, enough of Phantoms, how about a Fulcrum - no problem, the community has taken care of providing it. One day I realized I spend more time just fiddling with inis and seeing aircraft in game, rather then actually flying a full mission or campaign.

Bottom line for me, as long as TW games remain the only lite-sim game allowing unlimited different aircraft with great quality of models and accurately represented weapons stores, allowing to see and test various combinations and as long as this great community continues to enlrage the variety of mods available for TW games, no way out of it.

It all seems very simple - everyone came here and bought TW games for own selfish reasons, to satisfy a need.

Once needs change or the product no longer satisfies the needs - time to look for alternatives and no one can be blamed, neither the buyer, nor the supplier.

Respect bro.

+1 bra

Skate::

everyone came here and bought TW games for own selfish reasons, to satisfy a need. Once needs change or the product no longer satisfies the needs...

One minor quibblet. How can a product no longer satisfy The Need? Its not like TK programmed the game to self destruct after a certain date where you have to buy the new product. Even then, just reset your BIOS date. I ran Windows 7 RC for years like that, for free, but eventually bought The Pro.

ROCK.gif For me SF-1 2008 still serving The Need.

see Lexx, the problem is that older versions as far as I know are no longer available for download and are replaced with the most recent patch level ones, so if I like Dec2010 or March 2011 the most (just an example) in case my installs go fubared I have no possibility to re-download them

which is quite interesting subject on it's own, as the produst differs in term of features* from the one I bought at given time in the past

*of course most patches add some features to the series, but some take important ones away

Stary::

if I like Dec2010 or March 2011 the most (just an example) in case my installs go fubared I have no possibility to re-download them

You don't backup your Patches, and your game before you Patch up?

One should always keep version 1.0 and all the Patches on backup and archive. Arhives are old backups that are never to be backed up to again.

I still have SF 1.0 from 2004 or whatever, with *all* the Thudwire Patches most I never use, in folders in various hard drives laying about, and not one of them are hooked up to a power supply.

As with all topics, every thing leads to (1) debt, or (2) backup your stuff.

I do have all the backups, but for exaple say all my backup drives/dvds disappear, then it's a not going back scenario

Stary::

...say all my backup drives/dvds disappear,...

lol bra

+1

hmmm... don't blame us :smile:

• Like 1

Cool, this can be the new thread for razzing Thirdwire. All is well in the world again. :biggrin:

Edited by Dels

ain't it wonderful? :smile:

NA map is kinda empty......

yes, but there's a girl behind every tree...

(or is that Greenland????)

The thread from the dead. I think it would be prudent to stop busting TK's balls for a while. Probably aught to lock this thread up before it goes south. just sayin-

I think me or Wrench is waiting for it to happen... But on a note, there's only so much we as a community can do here so at some point even I get tired of it. it hasn't gotten us anywhere so...

yarp, just waiting for it to start degenerating, then BANG --