Dave

Food for Thought; A Flight Sim for the Ages

Here is my thoughts on how long we have been doing Strike Fighters.

Viggen has been here since 8th grade, he is now in the Army.

Caeser, if I recall correctly, he was in high school when he first started lurking here and now is a Captain in the USAF.

Jimmybib, who hasnt been around in awhile but I stay in contact on Facebook, was here since his 2nd year of of high school. Now he is out of college and working for BAE. I might be wrong on that but close. 

For you all that have been around, my twins are now 10. My boys are 15 and 17. 

My point where has the time gone?

Share your time here at CA and what has passed in your time here.

• Like 1

Hmm, when you and I first met online, I was still in Germany (2003 ish). In 2005, I hung out at your house for the weekend, prior to reporting Altus for boom school. Your twins were just babies, IIRC.

Now, I'm about to hang it up after 23 years, and you already have.

Yep, time has flown...

• Like 1

Close, Dave.  It was within the first few weeks of college in 2004 that I was a lurker, trying to find F-14 mods for flight sims, since the last I remembered was Fleet Defender.  I think it was 2005 when I actually joined.  A lot has happened, certainly.  Got my degree, commissioned, lived at Vandy, Thule, Rome and now the Springs...I can't believe it's already been over three years since I left the arctic!  Actually spent Christmas out here with a fellow Archie and his family, since I arrived in mid-December. Time absolutely flies.

• Like 1

I just got older and more gray hair, but it's been a heck of a lot of fun!

• Like 1

I started here when it was Biohaz back right around when SFP1 was released.

• Like 1

Well...

Been here since 11th grade...almost 10 years...good times.

Now I'm a 1st Class Petty Officer in the United States Navy.

:good:

SidDogg

• Like 1

And I'd been playing Wings Over Europe a year before that too. Wow time sure does fly.

If anything that just convinces me I need to get my act together and actually take the time to make a decent working mod.

• Like 1

well started lurking right before dep.#3,  then started a long tradition of stupid questions (Knowledge base? we don't need no stinkin knowledge base) during that deployment.  oddly also started babystep modding at teh same time,  after dep#4 decided to get into school for SGD (thank you VA. thank you Post 9/11).  only 5 years for me but still has been a pretty full 5

(dont even want to go into the friggin moves i've done in that time)

• Like 1

I had purchased the legacy series wings over Vietnam, Strike Fighters, and Wings Over Europe the winter of '04. I loved the light sim quality, just get in and go. I often would check 3rd Wire's site for updates, and came across the links pages and started checking those out and came across this site and a few others. I was syched there were other high quality skins and aircraft available for the sim. I became an official member 15 SEP 05. I have not changed, well maybe a little less hair.  I still stir the shitpot from time to time, however; I now have had 2 kids Brielle who is 9 today! Crap, she grew up quick and Brian 6, my minime. We still live in New England, and wish we lived somewhere warmer. Cheers CA and members for all the heated debates, laughter, and all the slickshit mods that keep coming out. 

• Like 1

the system says I'm here from May 2003, about the time I was 17 years old

(about 2 year before I enlisted to the IDF, finished my service after 5.5 years and 1 war as a MSgt.)

I don't fly at all.. don't even have a decent machine for that.. but still love being here

maybe one day my children will be here, flying better sims than us, just look for NesherJr. as their nick :)

• Like 1

Showed up when this was still BioHaz and been into the thridwire games since SFP1 at around 2002/3, would have been midway through highschool aged 15 or 16. I've now just picked up my second engineering degree, mechanical first then aero.

Craig

Edited by fallenphoenix1986
  • Like 1

I have been playing Strike Fighters - Wings over Europe for some time now about 4 - 5 years along with SF- Gold and SF - WoV. Although I initially found the sim to be a bit basic, I have now Modded my installation and added some new aircraft, Maps, some decent skins to replace the stock skins and a few ships. I am now happy with my set - up. Once again it is thanks to all the Modders and Simmers at this site and other SF related sites who regularly contribute to this game. I am very grateful for the continued contribution which these people make to enhance the whole Strike Fighters experience. I intend to be playing this game for at least next 4-5 years  :biggrin: 

Cheers :biggrin:  

• Like 1

Well I had been out of flight sims for a number of years just due to frustration over poor visibility and system complexity. Then I got a TrackIR 5 for Christmas 09 and I started looking for TrackIR games and help in getting back into flight sims. That lead me to SimHQ and some of the members there pointed me in the direction of SF2 which lead me to register here at CA in January 2010. It took me about a year to full migrate over since then I have never really looked back.

In that time I learned a lot about INI editing, espesialy ships, guns, and weapons, and their behavor in SF2:NA. Then in the last year I have finally put up a few minor mods and a worked on some joint projects with a few people. As for my personal life I will just say that in the time I have been a CombatAce member I have become a Brother in Law and an Uncle.   

• Like 1

Time for me to chime in Dave.

Food for thought indeed, having just checked my profile, looks like I've been a member here for a smidgen over 9 years, I remember some of the sites people visited around then, Column5's forum was great (who can forget ABF?)

I started with Strike Fighters a little before that, remembering when this place Biohaz and ACF Central was still alive too. I kept playing SF through sixth form, then doing an Aerospace Engineering degree (furthering my involvement in flight simulation, getting the opportunity to do studies in this for my dissertation... universities have awesome flight sims!), and now I work as a graduate engineer for a Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul company which is a subsidiary of Airbus Group (formerly EADS).

Despite real life (work) has pretty much blown my simming activity (and more predominantly, modding activity) clean out of the water, I still visit this place practically on a daily basis, and enjoy keeping up to date with the modding developments people do.

Lastly, I believe one of the keys to CA's success throughout the years is that the people who run the place listen to what the users want.

• Like 1

Other than the birth of my 2 daughters, who are now 5.5 and 3, I'm living in the same place and pretty much doing the same thing as I have for the last almost 15 years...with the exception that I had a job for 10 years as an IT contractor for the USAF that went south (some of you know the story, not really interesting) and now I'm doing a far lesser job for far less money for the FAA. :sad:

So for me time hasn't changed that much (my car is 11 yrs old next month!), but watching the changes around me makes me feel ooooooold...

• Like 1

I've been here 8 years?!!!

Dropped in after picking up WOV for a little off time flight sims. Have enjoyed a little modding and light enjoyment after a long day.

Changed from being a defense contractor working in NORAD ops to now a public figure and elected official. still getting used to that. My time is no longer my own...........

Edited by Typhoid
  • Like 1

I keep thinking I've been here just about as long as Typhoid...good God....

Lots of trimuph.

Lots of tragedy.

FC

Lots of tragedy.

That's an understatement....

Just over 15 years for me in the aviation related communities. Seen a lot, met a lot, and proud to have had the opportunity. Thank you all.

• Like 1

I've been here since '05, before that at SimHQ. My first post here was asking about a Buccaneer mod, IIRC - I was interested as I owned a Bucc cockpit and wanted to simfly one. Now I've got 2 (!) and quite a few other cockpits including my latest, a very rare UK Phantom. Also 3 kids etc...

I've been here since '05, before that at SimHQ. My first post here was asking about a Buccaneer mod, IIRC - I was interested as I owned a Bucc cockpit and wanted to simfly one. Now I've got 2 (!) and quite a few other cockpits including my latest, a very rare UK Phantom. Also 3 kids etc...

The Buccaneer Mod is a very nice aircraft to fly - one of my favourites, looks graceful too  :flyer:

I've been here since 2005, that's not yesterday. 

I was a student back then. 

Since 2005, I changed of town six times, and I changed of flat even more. Women will be women, but a few crossed my path and nothing serious ever emerged after a few years. 
I graduated in 2009 and took the crisis in the face, leading me into awfull years of unemployement. I've started to get back on my feets and advancing since two years. 

Nowadays, I've started a new career as a teacher of French for foreigners (quite far away from my studies in political science & international relations) and I am enjoying it. I've moved into southern France (me... a stalwart notherner) and quite frankly like it. 

And in those 9 years, I've came and went here, depending on my time and ability to play the game. I've enjoyed myself thanks to you guys, as most of you are great fellows, and even more thanks to the awesome work the modders do. They are the best.

It's also something to think that time as flown so much...