I'm just curious if there was anyway to make a rocket pod that had retractable missiles? If it's possible I'd love to see someone make replacement wing tip pods for the F-89H Scorpion. I figure it's a long shot but can't hurt to ask. Ideally a completely new F-89 would be great but most aircraft modelers are very busy and TBH while one of the older mods the F-89 Monty did has not aged that badly at all.

post-5105-0-73743200-1456964797_thumb.jpg

Edited by whiteknight06604

Wrench has made some great updates to this older model I was just wondering if there were further things that could be squeezed out of this old girl or if a new model is needed.

The white fighter pilot socks and the Oxfords, Fighter Pilot, Black, One Pair, can be modeled I bet.

:lol:

CL

• Like 3

Wrench has made some great updates to this older model I was just wondering if there were further things that could be squeezed out of this old girl or if a new model is needed.

that depends on what you want to put on her outside the obvious stated above. I'm not well versed on this bird,,

Edited by yubba

apparently some body else likes it too

I think this is what you are looking for,,

Edited by yubba

If I recall correctly, they can only be animated that way if they are part of the model.

I wasn't sure since Ive seen rocket pods that have nose caps that "fall" off when fired. I wasn't sure what the limitations on such pods were when it comes to animation.

I wasn't sure since Ive seen rocket pods that have nose caps that "fall" off when fired. I wasn't sure what the limitations on such pods were when it comes to animation.

Having a nose cap "fall off" is a somewhat different animal than having doors open, missiles rails extend, and then retract the rails and close the doors when the missiles have been launched.  The latter is an animation that includes player controllable rotation, and that limits it to the actual aircraft model itself.  

I wish that we could have that level of animation (rotation) on all objects.  It would be particularly useful on ship-models, where we could animate missile bay doors on those models that sport VLS,  and also have realistic missile reloading animations on those with launch rails.

• Like 1

With the pod as part of the model, the limit is whether you can get the missile to extend with the rail. This is really the same problem as having an F-102/F-106 with missiles extending out of the bombay, but with the bombay on the wingtips instead of the belly. I don't recall, but I don't think anyone ever got the F-102/F-106 setup to work 100% the way it should? If they did, that is pretty much the answer... except that it has to be symmetrical: to bays instead of one.

there would also be major clipping issues with the Falcons when retracted, as well. (unless they all retracted to approximately the center of the pod)

Don't forget, they were loaded in "sets"; each set of 3 is a different missile - 3 IR 3 Radar. And as we all know, IRs won't even begin to track until they can "see" the target.

As Streak mentioned above, there really hasn't been any way to do this type of mount properly. More than likely, a game engine ™ limitation.

as stated in the readme, it was done "as best as is possible"

....Maybe somethig like the F-102.....open close Weapons door;s....

I think what Fubar said, as for clipping -can't we have the offending stores hidden in "retracted" position?

I think simplified version is possible. But of course in new model. If in real All rockets could fit pod, so should here in models also. For sure.. every falcon  bay can't have its own animation because of animation limits. .

But left / right pod animated seperatly.

IR should track target from the pod. I just shot down MiG-21 with A2A Mistral from Gazelle. Where Mistral is loaded in tube, and front cap is opening when shooting. There every tube have its own animation.

as yakarov said, other than building a completly new model, there's nothing to be done with the pod-mounted Falcons.

Having looked over what we have... there's not much to be done with the missiles and rockets, but the bird needs an updated FM BADLY!! I was never happy with how it flew; could barely catch a TU-4, let alone a Tu-16. Also found some issues with node names mis-labled, and hit boxes missing or positioned off.

Give me a few days to cobble together an better FM, and do some other tweeking (like randomizing decals, and other small items). Then, I'll update the "full Scorpion pack" to ver.2, and we'll go from there

• Like 3

yes, you and me

• Like 1

Is someone planing to build a new F-89?

yes, you and me

Can you make me a new Sea Vixen while you're at it ???
  • Like 1

:laugh:

sheesh guys...

you is 76.IAP-Blackbird, me is me (as in Stary) and we do it this way: I work more on the 89D cockpit I have here you do the rest. Seems like fair deal aye?

Edited by Stary
  • Like 1

well, if that's the case (cockpit wise), I assume you'll be needing reference materials?

let me know if and when you're ready.

:lol:

• Like 1