Menrva

Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary Edition - v0.9.8 Released

I'm very happy to announce that v0.9.8 of Operation Desert Storm has just been uploaded and will soon be available for download here at CombatACE.com once it's approved. You're advised to read all details on how to properly install and run the mod. In case of issues, also have a look at the offered suggestions included in the mod's page, which have been updated with new solutions.

In case you missed the previous announcement showcasing many of the new additions and improvements, you can read about it all here: 

Since the announcement was made, in a mere month the team has worked much to fix some other long-standing issues and improve the overall quality consistency of the mod even further! Here below a change log of all major tweaks on top of the ones already mentioned in the previous thread:

• Standardized brightness and range values of landing lights for all aircraft of the mod.
  • Standardized values for the DetectSystem data of all aircraft, namely MaxVisibleDistance, BaseRCSModifier and HeatSignatureModifier.
  • Added brand new Mirage F1CR by the Mirage F1 Team, with specific tweaks for the ODS mod.
  • Added brand new, proper 3d model for the CVA-59 Forrestal-class aircraft carrier, made by guuruu.
  • Added proper Saudi Arabian E-3A 3d model (E-3A with CFM engines) made by Sundowner.
  • Added Victory Arch aka Swords of Qadisiyah landmark to Baghdad, with 3d models recreated by swambast.
  • Added new hi-res skins for the KC-135A by using templates produced by yakarov79, alongside improved tail decals.
  • Added new hi-res skins for the E-3B/C Sentry by daddyairplanes with templates produced by yakarov79.
  • Added improved skins with more accurate panel lines and colors for the F-15C, F-15D and F-15E aircraft, by daddyairplanes.
  • Added unused AI-only Transfer mission type to all cargo aircraft of the mod.
  • Added missing position/navigation lights on the KC-10 and VC10 K2 aircraft.
  • Improved all ECM data (fixed or removed where necessary) in all relevant aircraft of the mod in order to provide more realistic gameplay.
  • Improved aircraft data for all Mirage F1s for proper AI use of ECM and countermeasures, by pvince.
  • Improved SoundList.ini data for better doppler effects, extended sound range for engines and explosions, by guuruu.
  • Improved LandingAimPoint values for the decks of the CVA-63 and CVN-68 carriers to prevent aircraft from missing the deck.
  • Fixed several issues with AI failing to properly land with more than two dozens of aircraft in the mod (mainly cargo planes).
  • Fixed the AI not landing properly on carriers with S-3, F/A-18s and AV-8B aircraft.
  • Fixed inaccurate values of service ceiling, radius/range, empty weight and fuel capacity on AI-only heavy aircraft (cargo planes, tankers, etc.).
  • Fixed missing or wrongly displayed landing lights on several aircraft of the mod.
  • Fixed overlapping parking spot reported by Viper63a on Ali Al-Salem and Ahmed Al-Jaber airfields by Jimbib.
  • Fixed weapon stations for the F-15C and F-15D aircraft, so that AIM missiles won't be hanging in mid-air without CFTs and their pylons.
  • Fixed Harold pod hanging in mid-air on the center pylon of the Mirage 2000RAD.
  • Fixed inaccurate ECM/CM data and avionics for the Jaguar A, by pvince.

I want to thank all previous modders and contributors of CombatACE.com mod that have helped make this happen. In particular, I want to thank @guuruu, @Sundowner@daddyairplanes@swambast and @pvince for their last minute efforts in producing brand new additions and improvements.

Brand new Forrestal-class aircraft carrier with working weapons and night lighting by @guuruu.

ODS30AE_Forrestal.thumb.JPG.b776e7fba3df7bafc1609a105bba78bf.JPG

Brand new Saudi Arabian E-3A (E-3A with CFM engines) 3d model by @Sundowner with skin and decals by @PeacePuma.

659b16d46a270_Screenshot2024-01-07214630.thumb.png.0923fe835c88143f77228f93e79bc55c.png

Victory Arch aka Swords of Qadisiyah landmark in Baghdad with 3d models recreated by @swambast.

img00002.thumb.JPG.1dcf08e972ae371b228fb6883378b5d1.JPG

While you're waiting for the mod to be approved or while it's being installed on your system, you can enjoy this video by fellow YouTuber and flight sim enthusiast "damson", whom I thank for his testing of the mod and for the very useful feedback he provided about it: 

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Nice to have an update of this mod! Do I need a subscription to download it?

1 hour ago, mono27 said:

Nice to have an update of this mod! Do I need a subscription to download it?

No.

• Like 1

Thanks!

But it would be a nice gesture to site

• Like 4

wow thank you @Menrva like I've said earlier... this is monumental :kudos:

it truly raise this game at another level. maybe I can even say it helps it become less game and more a simulator

thank you for all your thime invest in such a gigantic project. all ALL the contributors, of course !

I just hope I'll be able to test it tonight, since I download one file last night (damn, wish I knew this will be released a few hours later)

and the site have a policy of, I believe, 5 files in 24hrs... maybe I'll be able to download the last one day after :biggrin:

and the DL speeds are not exactly lighting fast also (it ranges from ~100 to 400kb/sec I see)

anyway... enough of moaning :smile:

thank you a ton again, whenever completed, I KNOW this will be countless hours of fun, to which I look forward

Edited by tverdy
  • Haha 1

legit advice

but I've never ever used online payment method. sorry

I know it's not really an excuse  but I live in freakin Bosnia and that's pretty common here. we like them cash

we've always been like 20 something years behind everything that's normal

btw I'm downloading the last part

• Like 2

I have one question tho

if anyone have any idea, would be much appreciated

The mod is pretty heavy for the game engine despite huge optimizations. Strike Fighters 2's engine is 32bit only and apparently does not manage VRAM properly; consecutive campaign missions might show black/missing textures on objects or cause crashes to desktop because the game does not release the occupied VRAM from the previous mission you played, thus the more missions are loaded consecutively, the more easily you may run out of memory.

would it help to exit the game after each mission you finish ? wouldn't that clear the memory ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tverdy said:

would it help to exit the game after each mission you finish ? wouldn't that clear the memory ?

Yes, but that's something I feel most users wouldn't like to hear. So my main suggestion is to find a balance between the graphics settings of the game and what your hardware allows, so that you can run consecutive missions without major issues. My second suggestion is to give the DXVK wrapper a try, apparently it makes the mod playable on weak integrated GPUs (given that they are Vulkan-compatible) whereas without it the mod wouldn't work on such hardware.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

I downloaded the parts, unzipped it to create an ISO. Opened the ISO and clicked the installer...
It can't find SF2 on my PC although I have it installed...

What can I do to remedy this? Thrilled to get going with this!!!

It creates its own install, so you'll have to create a shortcut on the desktop or something like that. I haven't installed it yet myself (on the fence really), but that's what I did last time I had it.

@Muesli Disregard what EricJ said, please refer to this post for the issue you're having: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/95630-operation-desert-storm-30th-anniversary-edition/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-810329

I'll be updating the mod's page to include the following more complete info about the installer:

The installer will automatically detect your installation of the required Strike Fighters 2 games by reading through the registry keysPirated copies and/or game folders that are manually moved from where they were originally installed are not supported. You need all three aforementioned Strike Fighters 2 games and they must be installed with their original installers by ThirdWire, not manually copied from other sources nor moved elsewhere after installation to other folders or drives. If you do not meet any of these requirements, installation cannot proceed and you are on your own. If you install all required games properly, the installation of the mod will proceed correctly as intended. The installer then lets you choose where to install the mod folder; you can even install the mod on a different drive or partition than the one where Strike Fighters 2 is installed. No further user input nor manual edits after installation are ever required; the installer takes care of creating all proper links to your desired path for the mod folder. After installation is over, simply run the mod by using the created Desktop and/or Start Menu links.

I have to hope users read all that I write, though.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2

Ahh my bad Meusli...

3 hours ago, Menrva said:

I have to hope users read all that I write, though.

they never do until AFTER you point out the solution to their issue was in the readme......

and then sometimes still want to debate you on it

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

An hot-fix has been uploaded and it requires admins to approve it again. Wait until the mod gets approved again. If you downloaded all four split parts of the ISO of the mod before January 19th/20th, after installation you're advised to manually install the hotfix. If you did not download all parts before the latest reupload, I'm afraid all parts need to be downloaded again, old ones cannot match the checksum of the new split ISO. Apologies for the mix-up and thank you for your patience and understanding.

• Like 1

Hello Menrva.
Congratulations for the very realistic and engaging mod.
Just my personal curiosity:
I noticed that using the Persian Gulf War campaign with USN aircraft, and I start the mission from deck of a carrier, I don't see the carrier groups appearing, typical of SF2NA, but only the single aircraft carrier.
I imagine that the wording of the campaign data dictates this.  Or I'm doing something wrong ? 
Anyway, thanks so much for the fantastic work.

Regards.
Toro.

• Like 1

@toro The campaign is like this by design, just like the campaigns of Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam. Naval fleets ala SF2NA only work in so called naval campaigns, but naval campaigns remove night-time missions and force the enemy aircraft to find and attack the opposing naval fleet, which is not proper for the Gulf War scenario. We cannot have the best of both worlds, so the campaign won't feature fleets. One possible workaround I'm planning for a future update is to add other ships as terrain objects, they'd be static but at least would populate the Gulf during the campaign.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

Hallo Menrva.

Thanks for the quick clarification !!

Toro.

Dne 19. 1. 2024 v 17:56 řekl Menrva:

@Müsli Neberte ohled na to, co řekl EricJ, problém, který máte, naleznete v tomto příspěvku:  https://combatace.com/forums/topic/95630-operation-desert-storm-30th-anniversary-edition/?page=8&tab= komentáře #komentář-810329

Budu aktualizovat stránku modulu, aby obsahovala následující úplnější informace o instalačním programu:

Instalační program automaticky zajistí vaši instalaci požadovaných her Strike Fighters 2 načtením klíčů registruPirátské kopie a/nebo složky her, které jsou ručně přesunuty z místa, kde byly původně nainstalovány, nejsou podporovány. Potřebujete všechny tři výše uvedené hry Strike Fighters 2 a musí být nainstalovány s původními instalačními programy od společnosti ThirdWire, nikoli ručně zkopírované z jiných zdrojů ani přesunuty jinam po instalaci do jiných složek nebo jednotek. Pokud některé z těchto požadavků nesplňujete, instalace nemůže pokračovat a vy jste na to sami. Pokud správně nainstalujete všechny požadované hry, instalace modu proběhne správně, jak bylo zamýšleno. Instalační program vám poté umožní vybrat, kam chcete složku nainstalovat; můžete dokonce nainstalovat mod na jiný disk nebo oddíl, než je ten, kde je nainstalován Strike Fighters 2. Po instalaci nejsou nikdy nutné žádné další uživatelské vstupy ani ruční úpravy; instalační program se zajistí o vytvoření všech správných rozhodnutí na cestu pro složku mod. Po dokončení instalace jednoduše spusťte mod pomocí vytvořených ploch a/nebo výběru v nabídce Start. 

Musím však doufat, že si uživatelé přečtou vše, co píšu.

Je to přesně jak píše kolega Menrva. Také jsem narazil na tento problém, nechal jsem své soubory přesunout ze základního umístění (tj. C/Program Files (x86)/Thirdwire ....) a instalace se nezdařila. Poté, co jsem přeinstaloval základní složky (SF2, SF2I, SF2E) v adresáři C/ .... proběhla instalace bez problémů.
Ještě jednou děkuji všem, kteří přispěli k tomuto úžasnému modu!

5 hours ago, Hornet54 said:

Ještě jednou děkuji všem, kteří přispěli k tomuto úžasnému modu!

Užijte si zábavu :biggrin:

• Like 1