Fubar512

Meteor explodes over Russia, hundreds reported injured

BBC says it came in from a completely different direction than the near pass asteroid. If so this isn't related.

Fub you hear about the giant comet due to hit us later this year? ...Wording that loosely here lol. :biggrin:

Not the first time, that this happened. The Tunguska meteor around 100 years ago also hit Siberia.

The Tunguska blast was not just a meteor, Michael. It was either an asteroid or a comet, and the resulting effect has been estimated to have been as potent as a 30 megaton device..

• Like 1

I just read the story.

My mother saw meteor yesterday morning was talking about how it split off and looked like a firecracker.

I keep thinking about that asteroid that's supposed to just "barely miss" Earth tonight.

The world seems like a big huge place until you put in perspective next to an asteroid that is zipping around out there in space. That thing could take us all out. But I wonder if every nation wasn't at War and didn't devote a large chunk of its resources to killing fellow humans over various ideologies instead of respecting each idea of their genetic brethren and living in peace. Instead, as a whole, devoted its resources to space exploration would we fear pending asteroid strikes? Would we by now have a means of blasting asteroids away as if they were nothing? Would we have been on the moon and mars by now? I wonder. Some say War brought about many inventions so if its wasn't for it we'd have nothing. But in my opinion any desire a person has if that desire is strong enough they will find a means to achieving that goal. Humanity for some reason has a desire you feel superior and as a bi-product of that desire you have various nations and warfare and as a bi product of warfare you have space exploration and many other inventions. I'm simply wondering what things would have been like today if we had a bigger a desire to explore the stars than we have the desire to one up each other.

This is an over timed idea Viper. And as you wrote our majority of technologies comes from military research, even the space exploration is based on an ancient Chinese psychological weapon, as feared as it lacked power. But our world now works as a loop, endlessly. Who has not dreamed, whatever his political convictions and his mind, even once, there is no conflict between us ? A time for this loop to be the one of prosperity without fail. But in view of our differences, and besides we strive to maintain them, it is the foundation of the principle of culture, it seems impossible. When I see that after 20 years of cohabitation there still sometimes where I can not understand the logic behind American citizen, while I met them since my birth, It seems there is no real and possible solution to form a single order... (welcome to Star Fleet).

luckily this one seems to have just taken out windows!

The figures are all over the place for now...

Here I'm seeing reports of 950 affected is some way, 524 applied for medical help, 34 in hospital, 2 in intensive care.

luckily this one seems to have just taken out windows!

Then it must have been a Microsoft patch for the upcoming Thirdwire Exp3

Images and footage were impressive, glad everybody so far made it, if the airbust had been lower or if it had kept integrity until touching the ground in a populated area...

EDIT: Glass sharpnell seemed to be far more damaging than originally reported, it´s a miracle nobody died so far

Edited by macelena

Imagine if that was NYC, or Moscow, or Mexico City, or any of 100 other more heavily populated areas.

The best part is that somehow no one saw it coming.

Thats the reality - can we only detect objects over a certain size - or do we just pick up things through luck?

For anyone dreaming of space exploration - someone needs to put up the money ! - previous funds like moon landings were devoted mainly due to the Cold War effort I imagine.

Lets hope the affected recover okay - and that it missed the nuclear power plant

HallO mY FrIEnds, i Am V.delIghtedful tO annOUnce thAt LatVian MafIA is now Carryin' insuRance PolicEy daT GauranTee Policey holdeRS complte iMmuniTY froM falliN sPacE roCks!!!!1! PoliCey onLy cosT FiFTi DollARS USA ($50.00) par Year! IS V.GooD Bargin, Yes? DeES PolICEY wOuLda ProTECted aLL dos peeplEs windoWs!

IF any1 intRested, yuo Know whAre to FinD me.

Some good vids collected by Russia Today,... here

~~> http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5680948/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

One seems to show the fireball coming closer to the cam, others show the visual effect on the local enviromentsystem.ini environment, like a nuke flash maybe.

Another good reason for everybody to have car cams.

• Like 1

Some good vids collected by Russia Today,... here

~~> http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

One seems to show the fireball coming closer to the cam, others show the visual effect on the local enviromentsystem.ini environment, like a nuke flash maybe.

Another good reason for everybody to have car cams.

Can you imagine if someone had managed to catch the Tunguska event on film? The eyewitness accounts themselves are awe-inspiring:

At breakfast time I was sitting by the house at
Vanavara
Trading Post [
65 kilometres/40 miles south of the explosion
], facing north. [...] I suddenly saw that directly to the north, over Onkoul's Tunguska Road, the sky split in two and fire appeared high and wide over the forest [
as Semenov showed, about 50 degrees up—expedition note
]. The split in the sky grew larger, and the entire northern side was covered with fire. At that moment I became so hot that I couldn't bear it, as if my shirt was on fire; from the northern side, where the fire was, came strong heat. I wanted to tear off my shirt and throw it down, but then the sky shut closed, and a strong thump sounded, and I was thrown a few metres. I lost my senses for a moment, but then my wife ran out and led me to the house. After that such noise came, as if rocks were falling or cannons were firing, the earth shook, and when I was on the ground, I pressed my head down, fearing rocks would smash it. When the sky opened up, hot wind raced between the houses, like from cannons, which left traces in the ground like pathways, and it damaged some crops. Later we saw that many windows were shattered, and in the barn, a part of the iron lock snapped.

• Testimony of Chuchan of Shanyagir tribe, as recorded by I.M. Suslov in 1926.[16]

We had a hut by the river with my brother Chekaren. We were sleeping. Suddenly we both woke up at the same time. Somebody shoved us. We heard whistling and felt strong wind. Chekaren said, 'Can you hear all those birds flying overhead?' We were both in the hut, couldn't see what was going on outside. Suddenly, I got shoved again, this time so hard I fell into the fire. I got scared. Chekaren got scared too. We started crying out for father, mother, brother, but no one answered. There was noise beyond the hut, we could hear trees falling down. Chekaren and I got out of our sleeping bags and wanted to run out, but then the thunder struck. This was the first thunder. The Earth began to move and rock, wind hit our hut and knocked it over. My body was pushed down by sticks, but my head was in the clear. Then I saw a wonder: trees were falling, the branches were on fire, it became mighty bright, how can I say this, as if there was a second sun, my eyes were hurting, I even closed them. It was like what the Russians call lightning. And immediately there was a loud thunderclap. This was the second thunder. The morning was sunny, there were no clouds, our Sun was shining brightly as usual, and suddenly there came a second one!

Chekaren and I had some difficulty getting out from under the remains of our hut. Then we saw that above, but in a different place, there was another flash, and loud thunder came. This was the third thunder strike. Wind came again, knocked us off our feet, struck against the fallen trees.

We looked at the fallen trees, watched the tree tops get snapped off, watched the fires. Suddenly Chekaren yelled 'Look up' and pointed with his hand. I looked there and saw another flash, and it made another thunder. But the noise was less than before. This was the fourth strike, like normal thunder.Now I remember well there was also one more thunder strike, but it was small, and somewhere far away, where the Sun goes to sleep.
  • Sibir newspaper, July 2, 1908[17]

On the 17th of June, around 9 a.m. in the morning, we observed an unusual natural occurrence. In the north Karelinski village [200
verst
north of
Kirensk
] the peasants saw to the north west, rather high above the horizon, some strangely bright (impossible to look at) bluish-white heavenly body, which for 10 minutes moved downwards. The body appeared as a "pipe", i.e., a cylinder. The sky was cloudless, only a small dark cloud was observed in the general direction of the bright body. It was hot and dry. As the body neared the ground (forest), the bright body seemed to smudge, and then turned into a giant
billow
of black smoke, and a loud knocking (not thunder) was heard, as if large stones were falling, or artillery was fired. All buildings shook. At the same time the cloud began emitting flames of uncertain shapes. All villagers were stricken with panic and took to the streets, women cried, thinking it was the end of the world. The author of these lines was meantime in the forest about 6 verst [6.4 km] north of Kirensk, and heard to the north east some kind of artillery barrage, that repeated in intervals of 15 minutes at least 10 times. In Kirensk in a few buildings in the walls facing north east window glass shook.
Edited by Fubar512

That links to a RT youtube and that links to ~~> http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/

Pic of a 6m hole in frozen lake, divers are getting ready. And, a Meteosat pic of the entry from higher abovee. ... good name for that weather sat hehe.

Yea, that Tunguska thing was BIG.... Need to pay attention to that to get a feel for what populations might see for my SF LeMay~vs~Saiivitsky campaign. Haven't had time to look at anything SF in months.

You reminded me of something I need to poast about (Siberia living related).

Imagine if that was NYC, or Moscow, or Mexico City, or any of 100 other more heavily populated areas.

Like Paris...

They may have, but they won't say, because it would be an admission of how powerless we are against such a threat. I mean, the thing weighed ten metric tons? It had to be at least as large as the warhead-bus of an ICBM.

Just think about the media frenzy and panic if this meteor hitting Russia now would have hit last year during the winter solstice. I mean that would have created a "Holy SH*..!!" moment for a while.

So, 1142 getting medical treatment, 48 hospitalized including 13 children. The year started with a bang...

I'm just glad to hear (so far) that it didn't kill anyone.

FC

Don't you mess with Mother Russia, they explode asteroids in air like fluffy pink snowballs with coconut.