Sign in to follow this  
column5

Wings Over Israel [Official Thread]

I gotta tell ya...so far, the AI seems to be a LOT more aggressive in WOI. So far, just doing single missions while I add my mods from WOE, these guys seem to have a LOT more 'fangs out' attitudes. I'm afraid to attempt the 'Uber AI mod' now.

Also, so far my Enviromental addons have worked fine...I'll post a few screenshots...

FastCargo

Messing around some more, I added the WOE terrain and the trees mod by CA_Stary, worked fine, no static aircraft but I suspect its an ini edit. I added an A-10, worked fine. Need to work the F-15I and F-16I to get them to work right. Also more F-16's on the flight line. Notice it used the tail codes. Very nice.

Yep, my Germany terrain works fine...also, while testing...check this out:

gallery_12105_43_162298.jpg

The enviroment mods still work, including the 'Hollywood' style explosions, Siberian Sun mod, clouds, etc....

And can verify 3rd party aircraft...check out the F-5F on the flight line while my F-22 takes off.

FastCargo

Uh, don't add a weaponspack...it's not compatible with WOI. You won't have any weapons if you try...I already tried myself...

FastCargo

The terrain looks nice when you're down in the weeds. There is even smoke rising out of factory smokestacks. The FM on the Mirage IIICJ seemed pretty sporty! Watching from the chase view, the roll rate is pretty impressive. Flew a 1963 Mirage IIICJ fighter sweep mission, and noticed it seems a whole bunch tougher to get a guns kill. Initial impression is TK really kicked it up a notch!

Starting with First Eagles EP1 weapon data has been redone in some way - you'll have to wait for new wepn editor to put your favourite toys in there.

Is it possible to merge WOE and WOV with WOI?

It sounds like TK rebuilt the WOI's object.cat, so you might have to extract several (if not all) files from the WOV/WOE object.cat before copying the stock aircraft. Either that or you would have create a new one. But don't ask me how that would be done...

Edited by Gocad

The flight engine is much improved. Realy hacking away at the lite-sim label some people have given the thirdwire series. Good stuff. Well worth the money.

Eh...didnt TK himself give it that moniker?

So...anyone been sent against the commbuilding yet? Are anti-shipping missions working for both sides?

Screenshots look fantastic! Many of my long enduring complaints are answered!

What about the compatibility issues with Windows Vista??

I think this was covered already?

Well the first thing I have noticed is the huge FPS loss on my machine, and I didn't think my comp was that much of a slouch,Win XP, 250GB SATA HD, P4 3.5 Ghz, 2Mb DDR RAM, Nvidia 7950GT.

Still The game itself is not a dissapointment.

Well the first thing I have noticed is the huge FPS loss on my machine, and I didn't think my comp was that much of a slouch,Win XP, 250GB SATA HD, P4 3.5 Ghz, 2Mb DDR RAM, Nvidia 7950GT.

Still The game itself is not a dissapointment.

Now you are scaring me Craig how big is a Huge FPS loss as my main machine is a similar spec to yours?

PS.Have you finished decorating your bathroom yet?

Lazboy

Well, in WOE/V/SF, framerates would vary from model to model but I'd say i got an average of 20 FPS in cockpit and 30-40 in external views, that is with graphics maxed out and highest resolution,

WOI maxed out etc.. gives me about 5 FPS in cockpit and anything between 8-30 in external views, if I view the aircraft from directly above then it gets a healthy 40-50 FPS, I tried playing with settings, shadows made no real difference and number of objects didn't seem to make alot either, and most strange of all, i lowered resolution and got worse performance, but with settings around medium to normal and maintaining max resolution there seemed to be an improvement.

new things in the graphics option seem a little odd, if you choose an option of anything less than unlimited in the object textures the aircraft texture is awfull ( I didn't want to see what it might be like at medium or low after that ), I am trying to use a prog calle Nhancer to see if it can give back some performance, it has worked a treat on some other games before.

Don't get me wrong, I think the game is worth getting, I'm happy to let my hardware evolve with the third wire titles, they are simply the most addictive titles I have ever used, and in my case I have seen my machine compare badly with others of similar spec before.

Oh and No the bathroom is miles from being finished.

p.s. ignore the texture thing I talked about, it's actually fine, I forgot I was using a 3rd party aircraft when I looked at it, the stock stuff is still sweeeeet!

Edited by craigbrierley

In these respects the sim is pretty much the same as the older games.

TK has stated in the past that having the wingmen (except #2) not attack the primary target is a gameplay decision designed to make the player focus on the primary target himself. So don't look for that to change.

Well despite I don't agree with it, I think that it goes from anyone mind, it's their decision and i will respect it. All the other stuffs more then compensate it. :good:

The only change to the menus is the addition of the medals screen in the pilot record.

Ok, keep going in to ground attack without intel data, sir! :biggrin:

Man, now more than ever I need to upgrade my equipment. They still are ok for FS2004 and WOE/WOV, but with the WOI and FSX on scene....

I grabbed mine last night, but won't get to install until tonight.

Interesting about the lower FPS in the cockpit with shadows turned OFF. I know in FE w/expansion the lower FPS in cockpit were directly related to shadows. Looks great, but killed performance on my X1950 Pro. Turned it off and worked well.

What the... it's out?

Looks like I picked the wrong night to spend some quality time with the wife watching a romcom!

I'll be downloading tonight.

Just got mine very cool!!!!

For those who do have WOI, does the installation process also allow the ability to install components of WOE/WOV, should the user so desire?

thanks

Haaahaaaaa!!! :biggrin:

...still no Vista support.

Good call, would not want to tarnish such a good flight sim with something as lame as Vista. :haha:

Mighound

First of all it works in Vista with a simple edit. I have Vista and I am running it. The Knowledge Base tells you how to do it.

Also check the official thread for any additional information on "merging" installs

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=25645

Messing around some more, I added the WOE terrain and the trees mod by CA_Stary, worked fine, no static aircraft but I suspect its an ini edit. I added an A-10, worked fine. Need to work the F-15I and F-16I to get them to work right. Also more F-16's on the flight line. Notice it used the tail codes. Very nice.

Dave, the .ini files are the xxx_airfield.ini from the terrain's .cat file. You can probably pull the ones out of WOI's, and drop them into your Germany terrain.

When running a campaign, it's suppose to only use aircraft out that are stationed at the base.

this one doesn't seem to like aditional terrains either. Tried several ways but none will work. So we'll need some new techniques to add other stuff to this one.

I kept one unmodded install which I am flying in and one for trying out other planes, weapons, terrains. Planes work great, but only with the installed weapons. Have to try out missions and stuff over the next couple of days.

an A+ on this one. Nice terrain. Good campaigns, great planes.

and ground radar in avionics70!!! I'm muy happy!!!!!

:wink:

this one doesn't seem to like aditional terrains either. Tried several ways but none will work. So we'll need some new techniques to add other stuff to this one.

I kept one unmodded install which I am flying in and one for trying out other planes, weapons, terrains. Planes work great, but only with the installed weapons. Have to try out missions and stuff over the next couple of days.

an A+ on this one. Nice terrain. Good campaigns, great planes.

and ground radar in avionics70!!! I'm muy happy!!!!!

:wink:

I added the WOE terrain, the WOV terrain and the SF terrain and they worked. (drag their cat files and all.) I also added DBS, and EAWEuro terrain and all worked fine. What terrain did you have issues with.

FYI I am merging this topic with the official thread.

Looks like my post-deployment gift will be WoI. Keep up the words. I like reading about it.

Storm