Sign in to follow this  
tn_prvteye

May 11 updates out now!

I dig this line "DecalNumberBlockSize=26". Makes life a bit easier....

My install had become (like me) a bit bloated so I went 'scorched earth' and found it a doddle to install and patch. First impressions are good and I can't believe we get this for free!

BTW My first two flights were in the Mustang and Meteor and I can see quite a few new skins!

DLC - DownLoadable Content. All the rage in the current game industry. Small and usually cheap additions that do not qualify even for usual add-ons. Stuff like one new level, one new plane, one hat, one gunsight... I suppose the Mirage F.1 will be the first TK's shot at that.

Were Mercs in a campaign always allowed to pick any skin and any roundel?

Right - so let me just get this straight before I go ahead.

I've read the thread and I'm almost certain I'll be OK but I'll ask anyway, because I'm paranoid, and it's taken me quite a while to get things 'just so'.

I have 5 different mod installs that I created by duplicating my SF2E EXP2 exe.

Because they are running off of duplicates of my exe I should be fine to just apply the patch and it should not FUBAR my MOD folders?

I would normally read the Knowledge Base for this, but seeing as everyone seems to be here and talking about the new patch I thought I'd just ask.

Looking forward to higher frame rates.

Cheers :grin:

Edited by davokingy

Right - so let me just get this straight before I go ahead.

I've read the thread and I'm almost certain I'll be OK but I'll ask anyway, because I'm paranoid, and it's taken me quite a while to get things 'just so'.

I have 5 different mod installs that I created by duplicating my SF2E EXP2 exe.

Because they are running off of duplicates of my exe I should be fine to just apply the patch and it should not FUBAR my MOD folders?

I would normally read the Knowledge Base for this, but seeing as everyone seems to be here and talking about the new patch I thought I'd just ask.

Looking forward to higher frame rates.

Cheers :grin:

Actually this is a very good question because the information you want for creating multiple installs is not in the knowledge base.... there is reference to it but when you scroll through the topics it is not there. It was covered in a thread long ago and Icant seem to find it.

I want to have different installs at separate patch levels .... I think I remember something about renaming each exe and it's corresponding mod folder for each install? Could some one set me straight on this please?:dntknw:

it's the same procedure for all patching (which is, YES, covered in the KB in 'patching made easy part2' post) ... if you have pulled any ini (data, avionice, loadout, etc) or tweeked them in any way, and do NOT back up ALL the mods folders, they WILL be overwritten by the new stuff.

This means that any AI made flyable, will have to be done all over again if you apply the patch to your pre-existing mods folder

Hence, the need to back up (ie: just rename them x*nameofmodfolder*), create the new exe copies, run each and every one, thereby creating NEW mods folders -- don't forget to start each and every game install and start a single mission-, they delete the newly created mods folders, and rename the backed up ones back to their original names.

I've got 10 I have to deal with ...

and, as already mentioned somewhere, Gerwin's cat extractor NO LONGER WORKS ... so we're waiting for TKs. I'm hopeing it's like the old one, and lets us pulll single files, unstead of unpacking the cursed thing!!!

wrench

kevin stein

Hence, the need to back up (ie: just rename them x*nameofmodfolder*), create the new exe copies, run each and every one, thereby creating NEW mods folders -- don't forget to start each and every game install and start a single mission-, they delete the newly created mods folders, and rename the backed up ones back to their original names.

Right - gotcha.

Thanks for the advice Wrench :good:

Edited by davokingy

My Nato fighters install seems to have become quite unstable since applying this update. My game freezes up occasionally when I try to use the single mission mission editor and when I try to continue after completing a mission in one of the nato fighters campaigns :dntknw:

Well the very good news are that some old shadows show up again (I experimented the old Yak-28 serie)

Another one is the new decal shuffle (we can delete "." at the bottom of all numbers files and if we are good no more unnumberd plane in fly) :good:

A bad (I hope solved soon by TK in person with new modding tools he promise) is that I wasn't able to extract default stuff with previous cat extractor.

Another very bad thing (for me only) is the new sharkmouted Hunter ... because last week I spent a night in making it by my own (sob!) :suicide:

Good night bros (TK, too)

P.

Wrench::

we're waiting for TKs. I'm hopeing it's like the old one, and lets us pull single files, unstead of unpacking the cursed thing!!!

I've always suggested -- well one time anyways -- that the best thing is to make folders somewhere else and copy the CATs to them, and extract ALL files there. Then, when you need a file, its already extracted, and you can find the file you want fast by using Windows' ability to take you to the first file of any character on the keyboard. Further, you can make subfolders and copy certain blocks of extracted folders there.

Poasting here because I'm thinking of going SF2 (for the Nth time) but first doing some research in SF1 2008 to see if certain things work. Wish me luck!!

umm...how do you think we've been doing it all this time, with Gerwins??

Dunno. I'm using the old extractor from c6. Looks interesting.

hehe man that's hard on the eyes. My Win-7 is setup with dark blue-green background for everything, and I use explorer with folder View--List so I get several hundred of folders in one screen (unless I need to see the data, rarely), so less scrolling around to find something.

First impressions are good.

Running Stary's Unified Effects Pack I used to have to have my Effects set to medium, and even then a ripple of cluster bombs would temporarily slow my system to a crawl.

I can now run the game with Effects set to high. Cluster bombs cause a temporary dip in frame rate, but nowhere near as bad as before.

So going by my quick and wholly unscientific test there has been a significant improvement in FPS with this patch.

Good work TK :good:

Edited by davokingy

I tried several times belly landing damaged Spitfires on Vietnam map (don't ask...) but no luck so far

My Nato fighters install seems to have become quite unstable since applying this update. My game freezes up occasionally when I try to use the single mission mission editor and when I try to continue after completing a mission in one of the nato fighters campaigns :dntknw:

So I guess, Israel Independence War, Nato Fighters, Vietnam upgraded or Falkland mod users, among others mods, are best advised to wait before installing the update?

I remember Falkland mod had a custom CAT file. I guess it's no longer working.....

I think I can wait for updates to Vietnam Gold, Falkland, Israel Independence war and NATO fighters before patching. It can be a true nightmare to install the whole thing again!

The problem with the "rename your mod folder, rerun the game after patching, then rename mod folder back" method can be if you've modded a stock .ini file that has since been altered by the patch. As an example, it was posted here the .ini's now have a "decal randomizer" line in them. If you've altered that stock .ini in your install for some reason and keep it you'll have an .ini post-patch missing that line.

As always, the problem with patches and mods isn't for pure 3rd-party stuff like new terrains and planes and objects, but with stock planes that have been made flyable or had squadron/skin changes, etc.

I was just realizing, though, it's been what 6 months since the last patch? How come Tomcat isn't out yet? Wasn't the previous patch the hold up on finishing it?

Tomcat isn't done. It's still under development.

That's cool. Btw DanW this patch is really cool :good::drinks:

I’m having some trouble with the new patch. :- (

I am running a merged install with the exception of Exp Pack 2 which I have yet to acquire.

Running Windows XP & DirectX 9c

I haven’t had any problems until installing the latest patch.

Ok,

Running a clean install “NO MODS” with the new patch applied.

1. Some decals mostly squadron insignia don’t appear! ( Mostly with SF2I aircraft)

2. A few decals appear luminosity & glow in the dark!

2. Graphics appear jagged & not as smooth as before the May 2011 patch.

(something to do with the AntiAliasing perhaps as mentioned earlier? )

I’ve just done a standalone install of SF2 & SF2I & done a test before & after the patch has been applied. Still getting the same problems. :- (

Could somebody please do a check for me on a patched non moded install of SF2 Israel & check if the F-16 Netz squadron decals show up?

I have tried setting the new DecalNumberRandomize= entry to FALSE but the squadron insignia still don’t show.

I’m going to re download the patch in the meantime & see if that helps.

Thanks guys

SF

Aw, it's been over a year since those preview shots so I figured we were getting real close. :sad:

ok so heres my stats....Compaq Presario C700 laptop, stock graphics card, Pentium Dual core, Vista Svc Pack 1, usually get 8-15 fps on me graphics and 30-45 game depending on aircraft, mission, where i am etc.

i am 98.5 percent done with a mod i've been working on for the last few years and did ALOT of work on in the evenings during annual training in texas these last two weeks. it involves decals for every USAF Phantom user and even changes up the stock SEA skins to allow the decals. However to make it work i have my own squadronlist.ini with all the Phantom units in it.

question 1 IS the squadronlist.ini any different? (are there new units even amongst the French or Isrealis that you havent noticed before?)

question 2 Is this patch worth it at this time? or should i wait a bit until the new cat extractor? (god bless the old one, wouldnt have been able to add the Texas Reserve Squadrons while in El Paso with out it)

2. Graphics appear jagged & not as smooth as before the May 2011 patch.

(something to do with the AntiAliasing perhaps as mentioned earlier? )

...#JustSayin :dntknw:

In Topic: May 11 updates out now!

Edited by SidDogg