Sign in to follow this  
Razorback

RED TAILS looks awesome! for me to poop on

Wow never knew about the Soviet pilot. Makes you wonder how many pilots were disabled in WW2.

I gotta read up on this guy though, thanks Gr. Viper!

Falcon

Dude! I first read about this guy in Cracked:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18429_6-soldiers-who-survived-s**t-that-would-kill-terminator_p2.html

Some of these quotes are awesome:

The Awesomeness That Followed:

You know that story grandpa used to tell you about how he would four miles through two-feet of snow everyday just so he could get to school? Well, your grandpa was a worthless pussy compared to Alexey Maresyev. After being shot down, Maresyev crawled through snow, with little food and Nazis around every corner... for 18 f***ing days and nights.

Crawled! Suck it, grandpa! The pain was so severe that Alexey frequently passed out, only to awaken, grab death by the throat and shake it while laughing maniacally, and start crawling again.

Eventually, he made it back to friendly turf, only to have doctors chop off his legs below the knees. The wounds had festered during his 18-day crawl and had to come off to save his life. We're assuming that, if he had known this in advance, he probably would have just torn them off himself using nothing more than his bare hands.

At this point, anyone would've called it a day, confident that two limbs is just about enough to give in service to their country. Alexey, on the other hand, was having no part of this girlish suggestion.

Naturally, Maresyev's exploits made him a national hero in his native Russia, but far be it from him to accept the acclaim. "There is nothing extraordinary in what I did. The fact that I've been turned into a legend irritates me," he once said. To drive this sentiment home, he made it a point to die just moments before a national celebration commemorating his 85th birthday.

FC

In Russia, 18 days crawls you.....

I agree the film combat looked simplified, but we aren't the target audience. People who understand flight and flying are just too small beans for anyone to make content tailored for us. This will be a story about the people who flew, accessible to a wider audience than us - and the flying just has to look exciting enough to add flavour to the story. After all, I don't think anyone watches Top Gun for tips on modern air combat manoeuvring!

I don't have a problem with them using cgi. Hell, they should make it look as great as possible. I have a problem with them telling a version of a great story where the action is super-sized without any NEED. If you made it look as realistic as possible, the action would be incredibly engaging. A movie can be realistic and exciting. And just like with PEARL HARBOR, by amping up the action to silly levels, you make the men it represents part of the ridiculousness of it all.

It is DISRESPECTFUL.

Hollywood has always been disrespectful!...Hell, they'd even have you Yanks thinking you won the damn War all on your lonesome! :good:

I'll watch it and enjoy it for being an entertaining part of history. It says "Based on True Events" not "Historically Accurate".

The CGI looks like some of the better episodes of "Dogfights". I'd rather see CGI aircraft than none at all.

Would movie watchers sit through 4 hours of P-51 straight and level flying at cruise speed, or wait for the 20 minutes needed for a realistic Me-262 to roll inverted (lol)?

* NO, in either case they'd fall asleep like P-51 pilots tried not to when flying from England to Berlin..

Would hardcore aviation computer game players sit through 4 hours between takeoff and The Dogfight?

* NO, they'd press the SKIP TO NEXT WAYPOINT button. :rofl:

"Based on true events" such as "there was a WWII" and "the USA is a country" and "P-51s existed."

Hollywood has always been disrespectful!...Hell, they'd even have you Yanks thinking you won the damn War all on your lonesome! :good:

Ooooohhh....

Thats mean Widowmaker...

Ha.

I would say who cares if it aint realistic, it isn't a documentary.

I wonder if anyone here, who, as a kid dreamed about planes, didn't dream the same sort of fantastical, impossible stuff...

It is Hollywood, suspend your disbelief and go with it for the ride...or don't watch it.

I thought the acting in the trailer was pretty hammy, which seems to go hand in hand with most films, tv series, etc, these days with historical military themes. It really sucks. There are some fantastic stories to be told, why must these studios seek to 'improve' the narrative by confusing drama with melodrama?? But Jedi makes a good point. The trailer my gf and I saw was only about a minute long, so hopefully it'll be better than those snipets.

This story has already been done in a great movie starring Laurence Fishburne:

The Tuskegee Airmen

Exactly right Don, it's already been done well. How about a movie on Dick Bong, Tommy McGuire or Gabby Grabeski? Or Joe Foss or Marion Carl? How about Robin Olds? Or George Welch, hell of a man right there. For Units what about the 49th, 56th or 352nd FG's? Or VF-17, or VMF-214? How about VT-8 who knew they were on a suicide mission and went anyway?

JB5

You know I just might go to the theaters to see this one ... then again I'll just wait for it to hit video because I really and I mean really hate movie theaters.

I'm glad he's doing this flick because the first Tuskegee Airmen movie I've seen with Lawrence Fishbourne was, although great, kind of on the week side.

What do you guys and gals(if any out there) think about it?

YES YES YES YES YESSSS!!!!

peeped it, plan to SEE it.

...kinda cheesy with the CGI though... :dntknw:

SidDogg

Posted 31 July 2011Didn't we talk about this.

Oops sorry bout that .... I guess I missed that one ... well no need to beat a dead horse and waist a thread in the process.... so um how about a pic of a hot chick?

jcClR.jpg

Edited by Skyviper

Dave is right - maybe the clip was a bit "loaded" with action compared to real video clips from WWII that we have all seen, but it might not be bad. If I can tolerate all those "Dogfights" episode simulated video and not complain about how unrealistic they seemed (they should have used a Third Wire product instead of what they used...) I could certainly watch this.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 :biggrin:

#StrikeFightersBYATCH :cool:

SidDogg

Well, I'd like to see it...it's a great historical story.

I think it looks really good. Certainly looks heaps better than Pearl Harbor.

• Like 1

the real story is a great american tale of people overcomming horrible treatment and sacrificing for people who sometimes didn't care about them but to be honest I have no real hope that this will be anything other than another hollywood butcherjob of a great true story.I'll just watch "tuskeegee airman" again and read a few books.

Well, I'd like to see it...

the movie or The Hot Chick ™????