Sign in to follow this  
Razorback

RED TAILS looks awesome! for me to poop on

Yuck... They're one step away from talking planes with moving eyes on the canopy.

• Like 1

"Realism doesn't sell" - I assume that's the film makers universal motto!

Reminds me of Pearl Harbour.

Flyboys and Pearl Habour all in one it looks like to me... hell why don't they just give it to Disney or to Pixar and let them do it...

• Like 1

Gross.

I'm gonna go watch Battle of Britain to wash my eyes out.

Flyboys and Pearl Habour all in one it looks like to me... hell why don't they just give it to Disney or to Pixar and let them do it...

Hmmmm...might be even worse! Talking planes! :good:

Guys and Gals, this is where I differ with the tone of this thread. This looks to be a great movie about a great bunch of young men who overcame great difficulty, set an everlasting record, saved many of their fellow flyers, helped win a world war, and are deserving of credit long overdue. I don't know if the heart of this is about the production techniques, but I am really looking forward to Jan 2012. How about you?

This news should be welcome to all who are aviators, real or simulator. It is a real and glorious part of aviation history. I'm pumped and not really concerned with production details. After all, it is Lucas Arts.

Edited by Jug
  • Like 3

You know, every action movie that takes place during WWII is exagerated. Sure, the shotdown of the Me-262 looked a bit, well, silly, but the majority of the moviegoers know squat about air combat and what can be done and what not.

I totally expect then to shoot down half of the German Luftwaffe during the course of the movie, but I hardly see that as an issue. Otherwise one couldn't see any action movie, because that's what it is in the end and not some history lesson.

Guys and Gals, this is where I differ with the tone of this thread. This looks to be a great movie about a great bunch of young men who overcame great difficulty, set an everlasting record, saved many of their fellow flyers, helped win a world war, and are deserving of credit long overdue. I don't know if the heart of this is about the production techniques, but I am really looking forward to Jan 2012. How about you?

This news should be welcome to all who are aviators, real or simulator. It is a real and glorious part of aviation history. I'm pumped and not really concerned with production details. After all, it is Lucas Arts.

I perfectly understand what your saying and for those guys I respect them for the adversity put before them and their will to win. Its just that sometimes it does look as though the production studies think that the movie going public are idiots and make it simple, thats what annoys me. I must admit I would prefer my war films to be how should we say non glorified as to the style that came out in the 1950's but with updated CGI etc... but they end up making a movie which is saddened due to its lack of respect to what the actual air planes do... Granted I will go see it or wait for DVD (As understanding this in Deutsch may just be a bit too much for me.) thats if they even show it here in Austria, and then give my correct and proper verdict, my complaint is probably symptomatic of all movies, make it stupid and don't forget the chick light background story... don't even get me started on Sparkly flamin Vampires...

My thoughts? no asked but.....

Looks pretty alright. The reason that everyone uses computers is because unlike BoB there aren't enough warbirds to go around anymore. Plus it costs a lot of money to operate warbirds, and then you get into repainting them, blah blah blah.....Yeah, it looks a little hokey, but damn it's a movie. Enjoy it.

That said, uh, didn't Gooding Jr. star in another movie about the Red Tails, and didn't die in said movie? A little weird lol, and while we're on that, isn't Terrence Howard in a POW camp with Bruce Willis??

~Rob

You know... there is something a tad infuriating about the need to cartoonify World War 2 aerial combat.

http://geekfurious.blogspot.com/2011/07/red-tails-blood-in-my-stool.html

Its a stupid re-make of the Tuskegee Airmen film that HBO did. And I see that Lucas watched few episodes of Dogfights. Recognized a impossible kill that Dogfights did a episode of. Ironically the actor Cuba Jr was in the first film.

Falcon

It looks good to me because it tells the story of a great bunch of Americans. None of you have flown an ME-262 or a P-51 so would know if it was real or not. So sit back and be arm chair pilots all you want, most of you are totally missing the point. Until this movie comes and some don't even know who the Tuskegee Airmen are. Even Pearl Harbor, as they did it, told the story of one of the significant events in US history. Which I can bet some 20 year old didnt have a clue we were even in WWII........

• Like 1

Dave is right - maybe the clip was a bit "loaded" with action compared to real video clips from WWII that we have all seen, but it might not be bad. If I can tolerate all those "Dogfights" episode simulated video and not complain about how unrealistic they seemed (they should have used a Third Wire product instead of what they used...) I could certainly watch this.

• Like 2

I see it .. because I've met a few of them.

ROCK.gif

Whoa....that looks GREAT!!!!

That review link -- complaining about Me-262 and Split-S. All I saw was an inverted dive entry. Granted, I'd just push the nose down to gain speed (no carb), but I saw no evidence of a pull through to a Split-S, unless I missed it in that trailer. And for those of you who STUDY air combat, you know a pilot in a big fight like that can panic and do something dumb, and lots of 262 pilots DID JUST THAT and turned when they shouldn't have and got shot down.

So There! :yikes:

Now granted, they could mess up things like the ability to tell a captivating story, or mess up the acting direction, or the script. I don't have sound on my computer, but what I saw looked dam good. We'll see. Definitely going to this one. :salute:

Oh yea, and recall that quick scene out of EMPIRE ... JEDI(?) where Lucas puts maybe a hundred ships and space fighters darting through the screen? I'm stoked to see all these planes on screen here.

---

Now if only WW2 8th AAF or BoB combat flight TheSims developers would think of this without killing frames.

banghead.gif

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

I don't have a problem with them using cgi. Hell, they should make it look as great as possible. I have a problem with them telling a version of a great story where the action is super-sized without any NEED. If you made it look as realistic as possible, the action would be incredibly engaging. A movie can be realistic and exciting. And just like with PEARL HARBOR, by amping up the action to silly levels, you make the men it represents part of the ridiculousness of it all.

It is DISRESPECTFUL.

This is a trailer. For all we know, we've just seen 50% of the action in the film right there. It's happened before and it will again. The Cylon god said so.

Just like a book, a film can't be properly judged by a 30 second blurb.

This is a trailer. For all we know, we've just seen 50% of the action in the film right there. It's happened before and it will again. The Cylon god said so.

Just like a book, a film can't be properly judged by a 30 second blurb.

Sometimes the blurb is the best stuff.

Sometimes the blurb is the best stuff.

see Phantom Menace...

That said, regarding my previous post, I took a peek into Osprey's AEU #24 and I got to say that it's actually not that exagerated as it looked at first. Besides, what made movies like Pearl Harbor a disgusting piece of crap was not the action sequences (exagerated as they may been) but rather the unbearable mix of overdosed PC and forced and convoluted romance. As long as Red Tails doesn't go that route it should be at least a good movie... :grin:

Its made to introduce real life guys and gals to an airplane story, souls who never really *looked* at an airplane before. Hopefully, the visual Posh sells these souls into a lifetime of reading up airplanes where there is enough realism for all. "Hey this airplane thing is cool I want to read more." :drinks:

Razor::

I have a problem with them telling a version of a great story where the action is super-sized without any NEED. If you made it look as realistic as possible, the action would be incredibly engaging.

There is a NEED. Most of the souls in the audience DON'T KNOW what YOU know <citation needed> as a hard core TheSims player. The idea is to sell an airplane story, and if they get into it, they might read the airplane books you read, or the airplane internets sites you visit.

Think about the audience as "crew" in first day of training -- never having really *looked* at an airplane before. You make things a bit too obvious, too dramatic, over done.

You make things clear. Cool. FUN

You probably forgot: They are paying money. Unless you are a government, you have to make folks happy if you want them to PAY MONEY to you.

For realistic detail, they can read airplane books (or airplanes on teh internets) if the movie can invite them them to.

• Like 1

Well, they aren´t releasing the film until 2012, i hope they improve CGI a bit in post-production. That being said, if it´s not over. I mean, those aerial shots looked worse than Pearl Harbor, The Aviator or Flyboys, and let us remember that these were made between 10 and 5 years ago. I would rather real aircraft being used, of course, but, as they need CGI, i just would like it to be more, let´s say, gritty, weathered, with some visual effects to wash out the CGI a bit.

Or using computers to mix real images into work, like cutting and pasting a real aircraft to represent several, made intelligently, for example. Get footage of a real mustang making the maneuvering and Using 3D models all the way is wrong, and while it could be cheaper (maybe not as much as one would think) the results of using a bit more of real imagery would look great.

From what I've read of science fiction movie and TV making, 3d models are significantly more expensive than CGI. Babylon~5 is a great example of CGI from the 1990s.

Good points there mac, but start the inexperienced audience out slow; just the basics. Anyways, the core detail to watch for is the story of men inside the cockpits and on the airfield. The aircraft and dogfight scenes are fluff.

A realistic movie would show almost all air warfare is waiting, looking, stalking, then a 2 second Pounce -- a nice quickie -- and a long fly home hopefully. That's 2 seconds of air combat in maybe 4 hours of air warfare.

I'm guessing that kind of air warfare might not engage movie audiences, because I've long known that it has NO chance of engaging hardcore combat flight TheSims players who have read a thousand airplane books but never paid attention to them. TheSims players must have their super-size dose of Dogfight in their games. Let the RedTail audience have their super-sized CGI Dora manuevers as long as the story inside the cockpits and on the ground is done well.

:drinks: