MigBuster

Help fund the Strike Fighters 2 Windows 10 update!

13 minutes ago, gerwin said:

Good news in itself,

So I have read the two topics on this fund raiser, and the comments at the fundrazr.com. I understand the term 'Keep it all' campaign. But AFAIK such a campaign requires TK to state what happens when the goal is not reached? Worst case the money is then used to fund mobile rubbish instead? It is not comfortable to make a decision when I lack the info that I need... 

Erm - yes and until somebody gets any kind of reply from TK on that matter then we are all in the dark.

Okay. Thanks for confirming that.

I will just keep checking for this in the coming days... I suppose this does take the speed out of this initiative.

39 minutes ago, gerwin said:

Good news in itself,

So I have read the two topics on this fund raiser, and the comments at the fundrazr.com. I understand the term 'Keep it all' campaign. But AFAIK such a campaign requires TK to state what happens when the goal is not reached? Worst case the money is then used to fund mobile rubbish instead? It is not comfortable to make a decision when I lack the info that I need... 

I sent him a mail asking for more info, If he replies I will post the info.

• Thanks 4

On 9/6/2019 at 11:35 PM, streakeagle said:

If there were just 5,000 fans donating $5, this bill would be covered.

To put that in another perspective that is just 250 people at $100 per person or 500 people at $50 per person.

At the time of this post the average contribution is $52.57 per person from 37 people.

The average doesn't matter, it is the total. Clearly it is not going to hit the mark and I threw my money away. The active SF2 "crowd" is probably less than 2,000 people and only 37 have donated. That's a wrap.

When I consider how much money I have spent going to movies that might have entertained me for 2 hours, I don't have a problem with giving TK some more money. I literally played SFP1/WoX/SF2 almost every day for about a decade. The F-4 Phantom is the airplane I love the most and to this day SF2 is still the best sim to enjoy the F-4 in its historical environment. The FSX/P3d F-4s I have from Milviz and Simworks Studios are amazing, but are almost useless in that environment. TacPack is cool, but it doesn't even come close to providing the experience you can get in SF2. At this point, DCS World is the only combat flight sim available that satisfies me. But even after the F-4E is available in DCS World (2 to 5 years away?), DCS World still won't have the century series or a full Korean War environment with flyable F2H-2s (and numerous other aircraft not likely to ever be modeled in DCS World). It is a shame that TK couldn't find a way to keep the SF2 series profitable and continue development.

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 2

If targets not reached...(.pigs will fly,before it is sorry but its reality)....will people get donation back...alsorts been promised before thats no happened....target and timeframe just isnt viable...year or two ago maybe....more people in SF community about then....thats why I aint donating...It was doomed from start  im investing in something I know will happen...Call Of Duty Modern Warfare....

If and a big if....if hes short of 50 dollars\pounds one hour from deadline then yes.....I `ll cough up

Edited by russouk2004

6 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

If targets not reached...(.pigs will fly,before it is sorry but its reality)....will people get donation back...

No, this is in the webpage

The funny thing, because it's setup as a donation with no guarantee or strings attached and the timeframe is entirely unreasonable for the amount and the size of the active community at the present time, many people who would or could contribute, or contribute more are just staying away from it because they are NOT willing to give money to TK to finance further mobile games.

TK screwed himself with this one and will once more get bitter with us and use this whole fiasco as a further excuse not to care about us.

@russouk2004 The problem with that attitude is that you're far from the only one in that situation, I certainly am too, and it's this lack of goodwill and trust that TK created over the years that is also harming his current "effort"; We'd rather wait and see, at the risk of dooming the project, than blindly trust TK... A few years ago he might have made it though.

Edited by Gunrunner

Poor TK. Now he is getting flak from the mobile faction:

I get the message, you’re abandoning SFMC mobile. It was about PC’s all along. How can you not attempt funding for SFMC when “resources” are the reason the game can’t be improved?

Source

Looks like TK finally got around to answering some of the questions 

Here's what's in the Q&A Section on the fundraiser site: 

[Q&A]

Q. What happens if the funding goal isn't met? 

A. Not everything will be lost even if we don't make the funding goal. We do plan on securing the amount we're short by through other means (loans) and still get the Windows 10 update done at a later time (probably early next year). If we have to go this route however, the update will have to be a paid update and not free to everyone so we can at least recover part of the cost. It'll be free to only those who contributed to this and those who purchased the SF2 Complete Edition. 

Please note that this campaign is set as "Keep it all", meaning we keep all the contributions even if the funding goal isn't meat. 

Q. Can we add <xyz> features and fix <abc> bugs? 

A. We'd love to be able to do everything everyone is asking for, but unfortunately, all these take a lot of time and money. If you're expecting our games to have all the features from other AAA-quality games, then you'll be disappointed. Those games costs 10+ (some over 100+) million budget, and there is simply no way we can even come close to that with $100-500K budget we usually spend on our games. If we do make more than the funding goal, we'll have the contributors vote and decide on which features we should spend that extra amount on. 

Q. Are you going to continue to support the game? 

A. We wish we could continue to support the game forever, but again, these things takes a lot of money, and we simply can not afford to keep supporting old games for years and decades. This crowd funding goal is enough to pay for just 2 months of operation. In order for us to continue to support the game year after year, we need the community to continue to buy our games (and not just play them) year after year. 

Q. Isn't it better to do Strike Fighters 3? 

A. We'd love to be able to do SF3, but we're not ready to commit that much time and money to a new PC game at this point. A completely new game would take us at least 5 years and cost us at at least 2 million. Plus, everyone expect post-release support for 10-20 additional years, easily doubling the cost. We just don't think we'll be able to raise that amount needed based on numbers we have. We'd love to be proven wrong on this, if this fund raising goes way better than expected, we can re-consider this in the future.

Thank you!

Slightly more promising...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mue said:

Poor TK. Now he is getting flak from the mobile faction:

Source

Sometimes people read or overthink things and get false conclusions, and probably make more damage with their ignorance than they can comprehend. TK never said he abandons mobile games. He tries to put a little extra life in the SF2 world so he can still sell them after 2020 when win7 support stops and most will migrate to win10 if not already there.

We all love the SF series and I think we can all make this work .. I'm sure TK's heart is in it; and that can only be a good thing!  For what it's worth, I've chimed in and hope we can reach the goal!

Cheers

• Like 4

15 hours ago, maverickvf142 said:

Looks like TK finally got around to answering some of the questions 

Here's what's in the Q&A Section on the fundraiser site: 

Q. What happens if the funding goal isn't met? 

A. Not everything will be lost even if we don't make the funding goal. We do plan on securing the amount we're short by through other means (loans) and still get the Windows 10 update done at a later time (probably early next year). If we have to go this route however, the update will have to be a paid update and not free to everyone so we can at least recover part of the cost. It'll be free to only those who contributed to this and those who purchased the SF2 Complete Edition. 

Slightly more promising...

So it would mean that we would have the update in any case, which is a good news. I don't mind waiting a bit more, and paying for an update, if I can bring TK back to PC business

Edited by stuntman

The additional information on this campaign is fine with me. Just don't really like Windows 10 anyways. But whatever helps TK doing some actual PC SF stuff again. So I threw in a contribution now.

• Like 2

Q. ok Mr Russouk,you are making 10 hi fidelity 3d model aircraft that the community wanted aded for a few years now,how much do you need to raise.

A, £20,000  that will cover the cost of my time,making the models,and my graphic artists,time etc,  if we dont meet the target then we will still make the update,but not for free... people who donated will receive the update free,otherwise it will be a payed update.

Q.. so an update costing £29.99 will be free to those who donated say £100 etc..sounds like a bargain...

sound familiar ?

I quote "    Please note that this campaign is set as "Keep it all", meaning we keep all the contributions even if the funding goal isn't met."

Im being skeptical and critical not for fun but because I think TK has shot himself in the foot...if he had kept forums open...answered problems etc...and tried to start a Strike Fighters series fund ,when it was still busy ...he might still be working on the pc version now and not needing us to pay for updates to make the game we bought usable in todays environment in pcs today.

Edited by russouk2004
  • Thanks 2

I'm afraid TK still don't undestand, that new life for Strike Fighters isn't DX12, but support for AG missions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, guuruu said:

I'm afraid TK still don't undestand, that new life for Strike Fighters isn't DX12, but support for AG missions.

Come on guuruu, it's both!  Aren't you tired of the old dx7shaders, and working on Max9.. (I know I am LOL!)  Have faith, one update will eventually lead to others!

• Like 4

As Sophocles said, we need both. I will be more than happy with in flight refuelling and slewable avionics, maybe TK should release the source code and the instructions of how to use it. lol

• Like 2

Yes guyz, you are ofc right,but tell me what you would choose... better graphic or better engine ;-) And Stratos and Sophocles .. you know guyz, I'l never say any word against you ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, guuruu said:

Yes guyz, you are ofc right,but tell me what you would choose... better graphic or better engine ;-) And Stratos and Sophocles .. you know guyz, I'l never say any word against you ;-)

If for better engine you mean, solved bugs and new features like the ones I asked, I would vote for new engine any time. After all, I'm still flying Il2 1946.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alexis99 said:

Will this update also bring SF1 up to windows 10?

Of course not. That would make no sense at all.