Sign in to follow this  
Murphy'S

The Official Sept/Oct Patch Thread

Maybe you should add that to KB when you get a chance, as it is difficult to kill a tank driving under ground.

If you put it in the KB it'll never come up again, because everyone reads the KB right?

Oh, a comedian eh?

Maybe you should add that to KB when you get a chance, as it is difficult to kill a tank driving under ground.

If you put it in the KB it'll never come up again, because everyone reads the KB right?

You mean we have subterranean tanks in this series? Cool! We can have entire battles, underground!

Or create submarine ranges with lots of targets that'd have to be spotted and killed by splash from bombs exploding above...

The static planes on airfields are killing me completely will have to remove that somewhow...

The static planes on airfields are killing me completely will have to remove that somewhow...

I had originally heard that WOI user were getting better frame rates at the same detail level, however, the last few posts have led me to believe that the opposit may be the case.

What impact are you guys seeing on frame rates?

The WOV/WOE patches contain a few more goodies than just the code stuff.

Tons of new decals...and I'm not talking about insignias here. Also, slightly upscaled skins.

gallery_22093_43_3040.jpg

Edited by Gocad

Well I don't see much impact except when I fly over populated bases, I landed at 16fps lol

Looks like good old TK has upped the stock skins from 256x256 to 512x512 minimum in WOE and reworked some - like the B-57 and MiG skins.

You flying with any shadows on?

Extract the _airfields.ini's, from the terrain's .cat, and remove the [PARKING] entries.

Edited by JSF_Aggie

Tons of new decals...and I'm not talking about insignias here. Also, slightly upscaled skins.

Some skins look much better :yes:

Just noticed hes put a decent map in WOE for the planning screen with 3 levels of zoom by default like WOI - its finally useable!

yes they are :notworthy:

Thank God... or who ever wrote the weapons editor... the transition to the Sept '08 update was made much easier. :good:

So far, I've added the MF WOI Weapons pack, merged the weaponsdata.ini from Bunyap's weapons pack,

re-applied the WOE/WOV trees mods, the WOE/WOV Airfield lights mod and everything seems to be running well.

I have yet to see how the loadouts will look on Russian aircraft,

as I have had to re-label most of them with 'R' designations, as opposed to 'AA' designations.

I may have to edit their loadouts, again, depending on how they interact with the new MF weapon pack.

Yeah, the water flicker is a bit annoying, but, the populated airfields well, make up for it. :drinks_drunk:

The only thing that really bothers me are the aircraft with functional canopies.

They are always open, when in flight... any way to fix that, or do I have to edit their respective Data.ini files,

to keep them closed??

Overall, it's a really awesome update, bringing it to the WOI standard, with just a couple minor bugs to be ironed out.

Love it Guys!!! Absolutely love it... keep it up!! :biggrin:

Edited by MigHound

Oh, and to let people know.

My SFP1/WOV/WOE/WOI combo install works great...haven't tried the desert map yet, but all the other maps work fine.

AND...thank you gerwin. I have built a CUSTOM ObjectData.cat file using gerwins CAT file compiler. It contains files from all four sims. Which means that importing aircraft from the older sims to the new ones is a piece of cake...and 3rd party aircraft that use stuff from the other sims won't be broken.

Yes, it works absolutely perfectly!

FastCargo

My SFP1/WOV/WOE/WOI combo install works great...haven't tried the desert map yet, but all the other maps work fine.

AND...thank you gerwin. I have built a CUSTOM ObjectData.cat file using gerwins CAT file compiler. It contains files from all four sims. Which means that importing aircraft from the older sims to the new ones is a piece of cake...and 3rd party aircraft that use stuff from the other sims won't be broken.

FastCargo

FastCargo! I also would like to merge my WOV/WOE and WOI installs, can you point me to anymore info on how to merge them all?

Edited by avi8tor

FastCargo! I also like to merge my WOV/WOE and WOI installs can you point me anymore info on how to merge them all?

Yes FC. I have a BIG SFP install. When you have time could you write us a few lines about the procedure you followed? I guess you used WOE as start platform?

Thanks!

FastCargo

Good to hear your succes on building a merged install. I also could not resist and worked on a merged install myself. It seems it is reasonably easy: all is done and working here after just one evening of swapping files. It certainly illustrates just what a flexible game engine TK has created. the actual game engine files (.dll) seem identical in all three games.

Indeed the CatPack program is quite indispensable for this matter (it was made it just in time). You can also pack all decals (5000+ files) in ObjectData01.cat, but you have to use the WOI executable for the game to use that cat file.

Finally a high quality 'Jane's Fighters-Anthology' successor!

I made the merged install as compact as it could possibly be; attached the installation folder index.

MERGED.TXT

FastCargo

Where can we get this CAT file compiler?

By the way, there's a list of most (if not all) the feature changes in the readme.txt in the main game folder.

gerwins CAT file compiler

Not to hijack the thread, but what's this?

You can also pack all decals (5000+ files) in ObjectData01.cat, but you have to use the WOI executable for the game to use that cat file.

Really?????

Hmmmm...I like that idea! More disk space saved!

FastCargo

Here is the thread with the CAT file compiler, check the last post.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=32054

Thanks again gerwin!

Well here we go again, SP2 all over again. For you guys wanting to play Wings Over Vietnam in multiplay, forget this latest patch. Here is what you'll get.

_no airports to land at, so what good is being able to shut off your engines gonna do you?

_what happened to the VMFA-531 Grey Ghost squadron? They are gone.

_frame rates take a terrible hit, it's gawd awful now.

_graphics are worse now then before.

_I'm sure there's more but I'm not investigating any further.

So it's back to the Doghouse Patch again, only this time I'm not doing it. It's someone else's turn and I'm passing the tourch to them. My fix it to return to 8.30.06 till this is sorted out.

I'm sure you beta testers are not happy with me, but I've NEVER seen you in multiplay doing any testing in the first place, so really, who should be the one who's not happy!

Well here we go again, SP2 all over again. For you guys wanting to play Wings Over Vietnam in multiplay, forget this latest patch. Here is what you'll get.

_no airports to land at, so what good is being able to shut off your engines gonna do you?

_what happened to the VMFA-531 Grey Ghost squadron? They are gone.

_frame rates take a terrible hit, it's gawd awful now.

_graphics are worse now then before.

_I'm sure there's more but I'm not investigating any further.

So it's back to the Doghouse Patch again, only this time I'm not doing it. It's someone else's turn and I'm passing the tourch to them. My fix it to return to 8.30.06 till this is sorted out.

I'm sure you beta testers are not happy with me, but I've NEVER seen you in multiplay doing any testing in the first place, so really, who should be the one who's not happy!

graphics are not worse...

WOV automatically used advanced card settings (such as antialiasing), but many people complained about having low FPS with FSAA enabled, so TK put it back the way it was with SFP1 originally: you have to force FSAA on via video card settings.

Frame rates do drop due to new features, but this is nothing new... SFP1 originally ran fine on my P3 1GHz and a Voodoo 5500 and later on a P3 1.2GHz and a Radeon 8500 (at 1600x1200!), but each new game chomped into my ability to play on older hardware.

My current rig ran WOV on max quality settings with mirrors and shadows, but after WOE came out, I started having to go to Near Horizon instead of Far Horizon or I took a huge FPS penalty.

With WOI level of game engine, the same rig needs shadows on medium and mirrors disabled to keep frame rates up where they were.

The latest code is written to run well on medium settings on a typical gaming PC, you have to have a fairly strong PC to run at max settings any more.

The refinements in AI and radar and missile behavior are greatly improved... wouldn't consider flying SP4 level ever again now that WOV is up to WOI standard.

Beta testers were stretched thin: multiple betas for multiple games at a very fast rate.

I am sure TK will patch other problems as they are revealed, only question is when?

While I am over joyed that WOV is still being patched, I have to agree with Doghouse. There are very few of us that put up with the complexities of Multiplayer on HyperLobby, and we are very dedicated to WOV. I can't recall anyone asking for better graphics, skins, insignia or anything that may take a hit on Frame rates. This is an older sim that runs, oops, ran great on older crates like mine. Instead of killing our frame rates how about correcting a few of the old MAJOR problems like Multiplayer on HyperLobby!!!! Doghouse and I should be getting credit for tech support on this issue:)) It has single handedly killed WOV on MP. While I am well aware that WOV was not designed with MP as it's primary goal, MP air combat is where the longevity is!!!! Has anyone noticed how many players are on IL2 at any given time in HL??????? I'm sorry TK, but when I hear you don't support MP the aviation Gods become very sad:) You have a great sim in your WOV/WOE/WOI series, but don't sell it short by restricting MP.

Creature

only way i play this is single mission ,in order to practise for mp

and mp all the way