Green Hell 3

"GREEN HELL 3"

Strike Fighters2:Vietnam map modification.

Designed for stock SF2:Vietnam VietnamSEA and Modern Darwin map by Wrench

Apart from these, should work with older maps using WoV/SF2:V tileset -Burma, Philippines etc in every sim from the series apart FE.

Credits:

Wrench, for Modern Darwin map, that forced me to do something with stuff dusting on my hdd

Also for screens templates, used to create optional menu screens.

ShrikeHawk -I think ajusted environmentsytem is based on his work.

Combat Ace -self explanatory, you guys rock!

TK, Thirdwire -for still giving me fun and bugs altogether.

This is version 3.0 of my Green Hell mod for SF2:V

After doing some work for Wrench's Darwin map, I decided to go fullscale, re-use my older tileset, finish the tod files, adjust several things and release this as part three.

In comparision to previous incarnations of the mod that relied on fabulous tileset by Brain32, this one uses different tileset, based on stock one, thus changing the look significantly if you're familiar with GH series. My goal was to create universal tileset for South East Asia terrains.

Also, as with every new patch old rendering bugs remain unchanged [:(] I decided to change the way of populating tiles, whidh is clearly visible in the jungle areas. No more large clusters of trees, replaced with smaller individual trees to minimize the possibility of rendering errors.

As a bonus included are new environment system (based on great fork by ShrikeHawk) with reduces size of clouds and increased minimum altitude of these, to further minimize famous "trees vs clouds" rendering errors. Also I added new menu screens with GH3 theme I use in my SF2V install.

• Like 1

Thanks for this Stary.

I've just loaded this up. Absolutely beautiful work. Vietnam never looked so good.

The new environment system is real nice too.

Good work mate :good:

Most excellent Stary

thanks guys, I should add that this mod should work without any problems in series1

HOOT! So, it follows the stock tiling pattern??

gottan test this baby in Darwin right now!!!

thanks brother!!

wrench

kevin stein

Surely it does, with few "enhancements" here and there, generally more trees in the fields, late addition, but looks quite good IMO.

And to all: sorry for many annoying typos in the readme, was written in the late night

Stary, what are the issues in using this in the expansion pack terrains?

Stary, what are the issues in using this in the expansion pack terrains?

I think I don't understand your question Canadair? In what expansion pack terrains? In Vietnam Air and Ground War Expansion by Eburger68? Honestly I don't know, you might have some targets placed in trees etc. Give it a try, I don't have this expansion installed at the moment

I think I don't understand your question Canadair? In what expansion pack terrains? In Vietnam Air and Ground War Expansion by Eburger68? Honestly I don't know, you might have some targets placed in trees etc. Give it a try, I don't have this expansion installed at the moment

If it helps, I've just placed it into the 'Grand Slam' (quad-merged plus both expansion packs) with no problems.

Whilst writing, this was ridiculously easy to install! Well done!

I'm downloading Air&Ground War Expansion, will test tomorrow

You need to apply the same love to the Afghanistan map...:smile: But haven't checked it out yet but going to soon (GH3)

Edited by EricJ

Eric, with pleasure, other projects depending :wink:

I just ran it with the Vietnam Gold expansion pack.......no issues here. This new terrain set......... IS TOP NOTCH. Very nicely done Stary. This time Vietnam looks like........well........VIETNAM. Fly to low on this terrain and you get waterbuffalo poo on the windsceen.:lol: An A+ dude.

I'm downloading Air&Ground War Expansion, will test tomorrow

The VietnamSEA.ini file needs to be tweaked (just a few lines changed) to work in the VietnamSEA terrain withe A&G Exp Pack. Also, the A&G Exp Pack has a South Vietnam terrain that is separate, so in order to get the new tiles and trees in South Vietnam, the .ini file needs to be tweaked there and renamed as well.

I've done it already in my install, and it seems to be working with no issues. I can try and post the .ini files here with some instructions later. There will need to be an updated the SF2V expansion pack to bring it up to date with the latest patches, so I'm sure GH3 will be adapted and incorporated in that update.

ChampionsVA56:

Unfortunately, I don't think compatability with the Expansion Pack terrain is going to be so simple. Yes, you can get the new tiles TODs to load no problem. The problem lies with all the custom target areas in the Expansion Pack terrain. Those target areas were specifically constructed to fit particular features of the GH2 tile set. A lot of time was invested getting object placement just right so that buildings and other structures looked appropriately located in that older tile set.

GH3 uses a new tile set & new TODs-- this is not just a repaint of the old version. Although I have not tested this new tile set, I have done some spot checking of individual tiles. There are significant differences. As a result, target areas from the Expansion Pack could very well look oddly placed -- as if they simply didn't belong where they are located.

Again, I haven't tested GH3 yet, just compared tiles with GH2.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

Malibu43:

so I'm sure GH3 will be adapted and incorporated in that update.

Although I am finishing an update for the Expansion Pack right now, I am not planning to incorporate GH3 into that update. See my post above for the reasons.

Eric Howes

Yep...I see what you mean. :punish: I just flew a full mission up north and yes......terrain is wonderful but the targets were out of place. So.......put old terrain back for now and wait!:grandpa: Can't live without my gold expansion pack...no way. :minigun:

Edited by ChampionsVA56

Malibu43:

Although I am finishing an update for the Expansion Pack right now, I am not planning to incorporate GH3 into that update. See my post above for the reasons.

Eric Howes

I didn't really check any target areas. If things are out of place, then it doesn't make sense to incorporate it. Thanks, Eric,

The problem lies with all the custom target areas in the Expansion Pack terrain. Those target areas were specifically constructed to fit particular features of the GH2 tile set.

that might be the biggest showstopper in using this particular tileset with A&G War expansion :this:

You need to apply the same love to the Afghanistan map...:smile: But haven't checked it out yet but going to soon (GH3)

I am using HIS Israel for afghanistan, and I like it, but I've never been in afghanistan, what do you think erik?

But I ve been recently flying, at very low altitude :)over haifa aerea, in the big fire of the early december. I was stunned of how good Stary's textures portray Isreal.

I "think" that with green areas repainted to shrubbery Israel tileset could possibly pass as a quick placeholder for Afghanistan