Sign in to follow this  
Jarhead1

How did YOU end up here at combatace?

I thought about how a couple years ago how I ended up here on combatace, and just thought it would be a pretty cool thread to see how others found out about and joined the site. So come on, read the storys, and throw ur own on up as to how u found out about and joined.

Its funny how i ended up on combatace, one day, i was looking up airplanes, and was clicking sites to look at pictures, and read up on em, and turns out combat ace was one of the sites that it brought up, so i clicked on it, joined and never looked back.

That is my story as to how my Combatace career started, lol.

And thanks again to all the fantastic modders who made all the stuff we have out there today.

Kevin Stinson

AKA Jarhead

When I bought WOE and went to the 3rd wire forums I saw CA I thought it was a site like fighter ace were you play online, I saw it had forums and I had some noob questions about WOE and the rest is history!! Thanks folks for putting up with my never ending noobiness!

At the beginning, i only had aircraft from the website of the distribuitor in Spain (the TEENies, the SEAD thud and the aussie Mirage)

and found Column5 site. Then i saw a video on You Tube with Zur´s F/A-37 Talon, so i decided to Google it and Voilá.

Edited by macelena

Sometime around 02/03 I was getting into Flanker 2.0, wondered if it was possible to mod the game and came upon Biohaz which brought LOMAC to my attention. I wish it hadn't because I have never ever managed to get it to work on any system I have owned (been able to afford owning!) since. I bookmarked the site and never bothered to make a membership until some time after getting into SFP1, in 2004 I became j0072132, downloaded a few files, don't think I ever posted anything on the forum back then though. I drifted away from PC games in general due to real life priorities (drinking/sleeping around) at uni. Drifted back into PC games sometime in 06 (glad I did) but couldn't logon anymore, hence new membership as MG subsequently KNX

Edit: sight for site! Duh and supposed to be an English teacher (slaps head)

Edited by Kopis n Xiphos

It was a rainy spring night the wife upstairs prego in bed, I was drinking a couple of beers. I was Surfing/Stumbling the web, and fell onto it, and was like, "Hey I play that game" you can add planes to the game? I was like "shat sign me up."

Edited by MAKO69

I was dragged here by USAFMTL......I was kicking and screaming like a girl at a Robbie Williams concert but it was too late, he locked the door & I've been trapped here ever since...... :tomato::secret:

I'm more of a lurker but I have been around here for awhile. I had the original Strike Fighters: Project 1 and I came over when this was still Biohaz Central. I drifted over from SimHQ when the rivet counters and patch deniers killed the forum discussions and drove away most of the modders.

After I became addicting to modding MSFS, I bought WOE. It was cool, but I wanted something else to kill with. Went on Wiki, found WOE's article, clicked on the NATO Fighter's link. Once I understood how to add mods to WOE, I wanted MORE. So, back to wiki, found CombatACE, and joined.

So, here I am, nearly into two years as a member of CombatASS. :biggrin:

I was a member on SimHQ.com but as this place became a ghosttown for SF lovers, so I was looking for another home. And ended here...

I fell over Combat Ace by "actcident" searching for weapon pack in a patch of some sort for my WOV Didnt know there was so many addons for the thirdwire series before I landed here. My first impressium from this site was just :shok: So much to choose from. couldnt believe my eyes. And futhermore I never done anything for a game before I joined the community Dave's thread on the F-100 got me started skinning a couple of F-100's and a few other planes. I felt the need to give something back in return for all that work all the others had done before me. It's actually quite fun to do something yourself and see that other people maybe can use it. English is not my first language so I dont write as much as I would like( I can read and understand it all. It's the writting I dont get right mostly spelling). I read instead. What I really like by this community is the helpfullness of the members to sort out probs. Hey I was a new guy once and people helped me out at that stage, now I am helping out where I can. And there is a "Roominess" in this forum too and a certain glow over it considering the fact that we are members from all over the globe. People get along in a common cause Flight Simming. I am member at few other sites too, but it is here I feel at home and use most of my time getting my daily doze :biggrin:

It was early 2005, a friend of mine (hardcore sims fan) gave me Wings Over Vietnam. I tested it briefly, and put it on shelf, quite disappointed, mainly due to low frametare and absence of clouds. Then few months later I was browsing net searching for Janes' ATF addon libraries... on one site I saw pic of Vark cockpit for WoV. "So, it's moddable" ignited in my mind... decided to try it again. From Column5s site to CombatAce, rest is history.

My first "mods" I did were in early 2006, private effects swaps and graphics edits for Edward's Solomons campaign.

Damn I was so scared when I uploaded my first tiny effects mod (newgunsfx) here in November 2006. But you guys were so kind not to ban me after that :smile::rofl:

Some a-hole :whistling: got me addicted to the SFP1 series by posting pics of a C-130 being shot down over on the CFS2 forums I used to haunt around 2002-3.I migrated here from SimHQ when it became obvious that that site was being infiltrated by whiners and idiots(besides me that is).I've been anoying people here ever since.

I was Biohazard central member, one day after awhile I went to Biohazard and I saw it became CombatAce, I guess that's how I got to CA.

Anyway I see it as legacy, one great Simulation related site turned into another, lossless transfer :)

Don't really remember.

Probably, involved me needing to get Crusaders and Tomcats from somewhere. :smile:

Hi All ,

I found combat Ace through a search on the internet when looking for addons for Wings over Europe , i visited many sites and found some good ones but this site is the main site i re-visit . Not only does it have the best selection of everything you could want , but it has forums and a whole community . Some of the stories from memebers are great , and not all about third wire stuff but general life stuff . To one and all thank you for this great website , not only to the web designers and modders who all do a great job but to the members to .

Mungo :biggrin:

I had recently bought WOV and was hoping to find a terrain add on like a city with skyscrapers and stuff. I couldn't find any but just as i was abut to look elsewhere i see the add on aircraft section. you can guess how the rest go'srolleyes.gif

.... must've made a wrong turn at Albuquerque....(even after consulting the proper map..) Been here ever since!

Wrench

kevin stein

I think I joined BioHaz after getting linked from C5's site back in '03, then got assimilated when it became CA. Then somehow I got suckered into becoming a mod..... and the rest is history.

In a desperate attempt to get away from the likes of Stiglr.

But seriously........... my parents dropped me off, thinking it was the orphanage.

Great thread. It's fun to read the history and testimonies. I hope we hear from more of you.

I really enjoy being part of our community and as I'm sure you've found there's really some terrific folks walking our halls. I hope each of you continue to enjoy your time here at CombatACE for many years to come. My appreciate and personal shout outs to the modders, moderators, staff, contributors, and members.

Erik Thompson

CombatACE.com

I migrated here from SimHQ when it became obvious that that site was being infiltrated by whiners and idiots...

Pretty much the same story. I've known Dave for a long time, so when he told me about CA, I joined up. It just took a long time to get real involved as I did alot of skins/mods for myself.

-S

I was searching Google for an E.E. Lightning simulator and a link came up at CA for Russ's excellent F.6 - my all-time favorite fighter, with the Phantom II close behind - the RAF variants of course. So, I got WOV (this was before WOE was available and SFP1 was not widely available in the UK), then downloaded the add-on F.6 and away I went - never looked back.

What a great community - the Brotherhood of ThirdWire. Cheers!

Regards, comrpnt.

I think i can "blame" youtube, becouse a WOE video i found mentioned column5.us, from there i think i wound up on CA.

I used to visit the site as a non-member for a while, reading and picking up bits of info along the way.

Then I plucked up the courage to join and apart having my ears burn for a few weeks and the occaisional run-in from the odd uber idiot I haven't looked back.

You can take a lot from this community but the best part is giving it back, so if you haven't already, please think about subscribing. :good:

While hunting the web about F-105s in flight sims i came upon WOV. The more i researched the better it looked so i ordered it through Amazon.

I found SimHQ and the TW site and that led me here. I made a few posts then got delayed big time when i was living on the streets and so could only add a post here or there but nothing really in depth.

Since July '08 it's only in the last month and a half that i've taken the basic steps and added Nato Fighters 1 and 2!