Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Coming out of the civilian closet

After my parents intended me to switch from public university to a private (and pretty frikkin expensive) one, i finally grew a pair and decided to enlist, as i had allways wanted. Been hard with the family, specially with mom, grandmas, and girlfriend, but it is done so far.

Yesterday i passed the selection exams. While i had originally intended to apply for Light Infantry and Sapper units, the recruiter said he had nobody with higher quals (no bragging intended...well, maybe a bit) and told me to change my career choices for more demanding jobs (wich also made my mom easier to calm down, since i was to be EOD, paratrooper or both)

So far, i´m a candidate for Air Force security details, either at the Royal Guard or at the Air Force HQ, a PJ-Air Force expeditionary unit, Marine Corps, several Navy units, including Navy Air Arm, and Typhoon groundcrew, with my best quals for the Marines. 

It is heavily contested, as there are many applications due to the still wide unemployment, but the recruitment people i talked to and myself are confident that i´m going to make it, and i´m already doing the paperwork to finish my degree within the services. Wish me good luck folks

• Like 9

I wish you all the best ! You got one chance to discover something else, a chance I wish I had.

Brilliant - All I can hope is that you try to prepare yourself as best you can to seize this opportunity

good luck. and if you aren't Army, then defineatley go Air Force. but not the Marines!!! (j/k, good luck whichever branch you join)

• Like 1

I wanted to get myself enlisted too, but my parents were not ok with that. At the age of 16, I had my first medical exmaination at the closest consulate with military department and was regarded as able to do service in the air force after my conscription. At the age of 17, life double-crossed me forcing me to wear glasses. My parents didn't want me to enter the army but to get my university-entrance diploma first. And after that, I already had a contract for apprenticeship in the industry.

If I could turn back time, I would not listen to my parents and get myself enlisted since I think that I'd have had a great time with my comrads serving for my country.

If there is a chance for you to become a pilot, I would do that if I were you. Becoming a pilot was always a wish from me.

So I wish you all the best of luck compañero.

Edited by ValAstur

Val, I was going that very same road, i know how you feel. I can´t become a flyboy, unless they ultimately let enlisted, visually imperfect folks fly drones or something.

Kevin, unsurprisingly, my parent says the same about the Marines...wich is unnerving since he is the supply officer supporting their school, SpecOps unit and base security force...gasp...

For everybody else, thanks for the support, i´ll give it all to this shot.

Good luck Macalena, youll enjoy the adventure and meet some great people. Keep your integrity and wits about you, work hard, have a good attitude and you WILL go far. God bless!

nothing personal against Marines. 1. i'm Army so just a little institutional pride there  2. barring that go the easy life and be surrounded by planes every day!

(sorry here comes the gripes from the AF'ers bout the easy life.....)

His Most Catholic Majesty's forces shall gain a firm asset with you, Mac. I had once read a long report about the Spanish Marines: it seems to be a very demanding unit, with harsh selection and harsher training, but a very strong esprit de corps afterwards. Will you face the challenge of your life?

If CH-47 mechanic pops up I'd definitely take that but I'm totally biased. But since you had Typhoon ground crew I'd take that, or any aviation based job.

Good luck!

Edited by Viggen

Good Luck,stay safe and never forget: CYA!

ALWAYS keep a positive attitude and ALWAYS make a positive effort.

These two things will get you through almost everything.

Good luck and have fun.

Good luck man, hope you get into a good place and enjoy it

stay safe

<S>

Good luck mate !!! Guess you can be proud of yourself !!

Best of luck dude, Might I suggest Aircraft Maintenance?

Thanks everybody! about aircraft maintenance, there are two stations, but with few vacants, in wich i might land, one is the Navy Air Arm, in Rota Naval Base (Hueys, Seakings, Seahawks and Harriers) or Air Force Wing 11, in Moron Air Base, with Typhoon and Orions. Army didn´t send any vacants for helo maintenance, Chinook or any other. Either way, most probably, i´ll end up in some high end Air Force Security or Marines. My biggest fear is not being up to the task, but the Psychologist Captain at the recruitment station said i was good enough.

Wondering why he said i was too smart for cannon-feeding Paratroopers but said i would do great in Marines. My father later told me that he knew the guy, and was a former Marine. Talk about branch rivalries lol

• Like 1

Oh man, I'd work P-3's and Typhoons in a heartbeat over choppers. Wire MX out the ***

Oh man, I'd work P-3's and Typhoons in a heartbeat over choppers. Wire MX out the ***

Are you referring to safety wire (lock wire)?

Opportunities come by infrequently and the worst situation you can find yourself in is looking back and wishing you had.  Go for it!!!

Thanks again everybody for all your support, specially coming from friends and veterans wich inspired me to do something more than just trying to make a living, any living.

Btw, you know interservice rivalry is deep when you are minding your own business and a wild Navy-Dad appears all of a sudden, stares at you like a fighting bull and claims HIS aegis frigate alone could F'up all MY Air Force Typhoons when you haven´t even been accepted for service yet. Then he could have said "Mack, join me in the Navy, together, we will destroy the Emperor and rule the galaxy as father and son" but he went to the kitchen for some coffee.

• Like 1

Mac listen to the "Great Tanker in the Sky" and follow your destiny. Carry on the traditions of the Spanish Cavalry! Train to use this beautiful machine as if it is an extension of your own body. Strike the enemy down with your 120mm sabre! You know you want to.

post-38143-0-81508600-1375196764_thumb.jpg

• Like 2