Jump to content

Recommended Posts


for those who are not familiar with this. My wild guess is Mue has developed a Blender3D exporter for TW LOD files. and placed it with another tool on the runway

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mue said:

 

That would be a gigantic step in SF2 modding, if you found a way how to import other 3d formats.... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, orsin said:

for those who are not familiar with this. My wild guess is Mue has developed a Blender3D exporter for TW LOD files. and placed it with another tool on the runway

Correct! :good:

The monkey is Blenders mascot "Suzanne". I exported it with my exporter to a lod file.

I will release a first version (e.g. no animation support yet) of the lod exporter for blender within the next days.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mue said:

Correct! :good:

The monkey is Blenders mascot "Suzanne". I exported it with my exporter to a lod file.

I will release a first version (e.g. no animation support yet) of the lod exporter for blender within the next days.

You are my hero! :ok:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is MUCH better than my original thought --

SF2 meets Pokemon!!

 

:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an idea, i know cracking up the code isn`t welcome here, so i thought about the possibility,
to be able to create a kind of community patch, to upgrade stuff like with mue's help / cooperation
- cloud height,
- possibility to add graphic upgrades
- avionic update
- etc

All that as a controlled and planed "patch" and not crack open the code itself to the public. Something like Team Daidalos for il2

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 76.IAP-Blackbird said:

I had an idea, i know cracking up the code isn`t welcome here, so i thought about the possibility,
to be able to create a kind of community patch, to upgrade stuff like with mue's help / cooperation
- cloud height,
- possibility to add graphic upgrades
- avionic update
- etc

All that as a controlled and planed "patch" and not crack open the code itself to the public. Something like Team Daidalos for il2

I asked for that approach for years now, even contacted TK with similar words, and he agreed, we can do it. What we cannot, is to share his files, but we can release any patch we want to hack/crack the code, in order to improve the game, or add features, cause the final user will still need a legal copy of the game/games. (I can post the TK answer if someone wants to see it)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stratos said:

I asked for that approach for years now, even contacted TK with similar words, and he agreed, we can do it. What we cannot, is to share his files, but we can release any patch we want to hack/crack the code, in order to improve the game, or add features, cause the final user will still need a legal copy of the game/games. (I can post the TK answer if someone wants to see it)

I'd really like to see TK's post about it. Unfortunately, he locked the game here and there, but still, many things live inside the game's .dll files, although most functions are non-working. Maybe the FAC (Snoopy) can be brought back, among other things.

The only problem is that only Mue has shown the kind of interest and expertise we need for such things, like improving the shaders and creating new plugins and tools. I am sure there are other modders with that expertise as well (gerwin's TFDtool is a great example, and his powerful tool is still undergoing interesting updates). We could create a group of people interested in the things Blackbird mentioned. Avionics can wait IMHO, since I'd really like to see the bugs we already have being fixed, if possible.

Strike Fighters 2 is still unique in its genre. Granted it does not age that well graphically, but it's the only game that, thanks to the community, can span from pre-WW2 era (not counting First Flight) to our modern times. We have dynamic campaigns, lots of scenarios and planes for many of the world's countries. In few words, it's an anthology of aviation history!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Menrva said:

I'd really like to see TK's post about it. Unfortunately, he locked the game here and there, but still, many things live inside the game's .dll files, although most functions are non-working. Maybe the FAC (Snoopy) can be brought back, among other things.

The only problem is that only Mue has shown the kind of interest and expertise we need for such things, like improving the shaders and creating new plugins and tools. I am sure there are other modders with that expertise as well (gerwin's TFDtool is a great example, and his powerful tool is still undergoing interesting updates). We could create a group of people interested in the things Blackbird mentioned. Avionics can wait IMHO, since I'd really like to see the bugs we already have being fixed, if possible.

Strike Fighters 2 is still unique in its genre. Granted it does not age that well graphically, but it's the only game that, thanks to the community, can span from pre-WW2 era (not counting First Flight) to our modern times. We have dynamic campaigns, lots of scenarios and planes for many of the world's countries. In few words, it's an anthology of aviation history!

Here's the answer from TK to my question, note how he specificates, mods we can create that change binary files!!!, exes, dll, cat, etc... WE CAN CHANGE WATHEVER WE FEEL NECESSARY. Is simply we cannot share his original files, but we can create a patch that change the needed files, and we can redistribute it, cause as I already said before, the final user will still need the original game/DLC. Is like Blackbird stated, just like Team Daidalos do, and I think is fair game to do it that way.

BNiwlxW.jpg

I don't know If we have the people/knowledge to mod it the sim that way, I hope we do, but first of all we would need to gather a team that is willing to do such mods.

IMHO Avionics are a must, so we can improve the 80's to 2000's planes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, 5 years since last patch i think the binary file warning would be null and void. of course watch the community get something going then he releases a new patch!

this folks, highlights why i've not subscribed to the "this series is dead" line of thought. we all keep talking like this and it could shape up to be an interesting year in CA land

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now that is something neat for sure

Edited by Stary
"neat" not "ne"
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to be positive about this, but for getting somewhere, we need to start working on it, and I'm not even sure anyone knew where to start.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost 100% sure that TK is planning no future updates to the games, but I doubt he would view editing his proprietary stuff with anything other than anger.  I guarantee you'd have a cease and desist order within a day.  

I know other sims have had community development teams step in and bring a game title up to a new standard of presentation (like Il-2), but I don't see the same magic being re-created here because of TK.  The development team would have to start new avionics.dll files from scratch, not modded versions of the originals.   Barring the community development team getting written permission, something that could stand up in a court, I don't see how you could get away with modded files that redistributions of the older ones from 3rdWire.  The new avionics.dll would have to be something like Avionics8.0.dll or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..