Wrench

Browser reccomendations?

Getting a new message from Chome "not longer supporting updates on Win 7. please switch to winge10 or later".  Getting 10 or 11 is not really an option; this box is from 2008. Even though i'ts had 3 hard drives, at least 2 (maybe 3) vid cards, I know it's going to fail a some point. Just can't afford a new comp. Not for at least 6 - 12 months more.

So, I"m looking for a good/easy/secure browser. I had Edge installed, but don't like how it handles bookmarks (also made the mistake of "import from..." and wouldn't delete them. kept coming back!)

So, ideas folks? 

thanks!

Whats the problem? Use old. I use Firefox 72.0.2 (32-bit) Best browser ever. Fast (MUCH FASTER THAN UPDATED!!) And as reliable as a Swiss watch.

Clipboard01bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jp

Edited by bazillius

Clipboard01jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.j

If to say seriousely the Chrome is the worst browser in the world which humanity ever seen.. In general, it seems that Google is going to become a totalitarian sect, create Skynet and enslave the world. In my ranking of browsers, Firefox is definitely the leader. In fact, it is the only independent browser.

scale-1200.jpg

you can tell me that I believe in conspiracy theories and urban legends. I don't care index.jpg

PS Its just my opinion and preferences

• Haha 2

Edge, like its predecessor, is the best browser

to get another browser!

but i agree with bazillius, and prefer to use firefox for most things. only using chrome on my school laptop because the school site works better with it

finally, extra points to other Kevin for using the ancient computer of Theseus :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2nd is Edge too. Normal browser. But main is old Firefox on both machines Stationar PC with Win7 and movable modern Gamer's laptop W10. Edge for microsoft sites and some sites with saved passwords in it for them. I have new up to date firefox but it works slowley and can handle fewer tabs. I sometimes have 150 or even 200 tabs open. The new Firefox starts to noticeably slow down when switching so many tabs, and the old one simply reacts instantly.

I too use a rig from 09. Firefox and Opera latest builds are my primarys and work well.

150 -200 tabs open!!! no wonder it slows down!!! :lol: I think the most I've ever had is like 5. Just me of course!!!!

so, the consesus seem to be Firefox. Is it thought controlled, too??? (grin)

• Haha 3

I love using Chrome, I have tried them all but I keep going back to my Chrome.:wink:

• Like 1

I use Tor as a 3rd option: when I want to read newsfeeds from around the world, without all the ad clutter and minus the thought police. :smile:

https://www.torproject.org/download/

ABOUT TOR BROWSER

Tor Browser uses the Tor network to protect your privacy and anonymity. Using the Tor network has two main properties:

• Your internet service provider, and anyone watching your connection locally, will not be able to track your internet activity, including the names and addresses of the websites you visit.

• The operators of the websites and services that you use, and anyone watching them, will see a connection coming from the Tor network instead of your real Internet (IP) address, and will not know who you are unless you explicitly identify yourself.

In addition, Tor Browser is designed to prevent websites from “fingerprinting” or identifying you based on your browser configuration.

By default, Tor Browser does not keep any browsing history. Cookies are only valid for a single session (until Tor Browser is exited or a New Identity is requested).

HOW TOR WORKS

Tor is a network of virtual tunnels that allows you to improve your privacy and security on the Internet. Tor works by sending your traffic through three random servers (also known as relays) in the Tor network. The last relay in the circuit (the “exit relay”) then sends the traffic out onto the public Internet.

• Like 1

Firefox. For me the only one i use. I'm satisfied with it.

The other problem with Chrome is that it's been consuming too much ram for a long time...you open task manager and you discover a myriad of chrome processes...on my "old" laptop with 6gb i3 ram I use Firefox like everyone, and on my pc mac pro 2007 with 16gb ram dual boot i use opera and edge... i like opera because it suppresses ads that cause chaos on certain sites...

PS: on old macs the same thing happens with chrome and opera works better than firefox...

Edited by PeacePuma
  • Like 1

I concur with Firefox and what's been mentioned including sentiment. Ur Browser, Brave, and Opera would be on my list as well. 

• Like 1

As to Tor browser. The most boring thing in the world is reading my browsing history. I am sure that any representative of the special services will die of boredom. I even want somebody read it. I wanna know that someone have feeling of punishment of doing this useless task. I think Tor is based on Firefox by the way. I tried Tor but refused it cuz many sites track you. and get very offended when they can't do it.  For example Youtube?Google says ahhh... you are using Tor? Adieu, Goodbye, Auf Wiedersehen. So its not good as a main browser but for any case it is possible to have it. My opinion.

Tor is portable!!!! Tht;s a big plus! You can easy make Firefox portable. As to me it is very important. No need to tune it up on every  computer

I know this is off topic, but I really wish I kept one of my old PC with windows 7 that would been something to use with older software.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GKABS said:

I know this is off topic, but I really wish I kept one of my old PC with windows 7 that would been something to use with older software.

I dream to buy Intel Pentium II 233 MMX but they arent cheap! :biggrin:

well, I installed Firefox this morining ... so far so good. No issues importing the few bookmarks from Chrome, and I'm liking the way it looks.

thank you gents!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GKABS said:

I have an ASUS that runs WIN10, WIN7 and WinXP. It was really designed for Win7/Vista and it has a few issues with WIN10. I have Win7 around for some games and WinXP for recording streams off the internet. My main gaming rig is a Dell G5. It only runs WIN10.

Yes. I am a nerd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Wrench said:

well, I installed Firefox this morining ... so far so good. No issues importing the few bookmarks from Chrome, and I'm liking the way it looks.

thank you gents!!

Excellent news -- and if you ever find that mainstream Firefox is starting to slow down and/or use too much memory on your Windows 7 rig -- permit me to recommend a variety of Firefox "forks" that are usually lean and fast, and remind one of Firefoxes and Netscapes of yore (some representative ones to check out include Palemoon, Seamonkey, as well as the little-known ArcticFox that comes with a WinXP build but should be compatible with Win7 too).

In the worst case scenario -- if you find yourself unimpressed by those various browsers, fire up a small VirtualBox install of a simpler Linux distro like LinuxMint, and run an updated Firefox, Opera, or anything else -- from within the virtual OS system itself -- but go down the VirtualBox route only if you have enough RAM on your rig -- recommended min. of 10-12 GB RAM if you want to juggle a virtualized OS install smoothly.

Cheers all & happy browsing in lesser-known browsers,

Von S :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm giving Brave a go at the moment, lots of very easy to use and seemingly effective ad/script blocking built into it - no complaints so far in the last two weeks or so.

(Link)

• Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 8:14 PM, VonS said:

ArcticFox Von S :smile:

Thanks for Arc Fox. I just downloaded it. I dont wont to change my standard firefox but curiouse.

23 hours ago, fallenphoenix1986 said:

Brave

(Link)

aahh. .. its just recolored Opera isnt it? May be  i am wrong but i used it and find standard Opera. May be i wasl not too attentive and scrupulous while checking it out

Chrome is the only choice for me, because I run browser based Virtual Tabletop apps and Chrome is by far the best supported by such software. If I had to run another browser though, it would for sure be Mozilla Firefox. That's what I moved to when I wanted to keep running an old WinXP PC and Chrome gave up support for that OS. I continued on with FIrefox with very satisfactory results.

• Like 1