Posted (edited)

i have try to make some 4096 x 4096 textures but constantly run out of memory , i´m using a win7 64bit computer with 32GB ram  and a ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX-1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5 graphics card , the Software i use is Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3

what exactly do i wrong to run out of memory ??? any help is welcome

i´m not even able to convert a existing 2048 x 2048 template to 4096 x 4096 , best result i had by converting layer by layer to 4096 x 4096 and add them to a new template , but as soon as i start to modify some lines i run out of memory

Edited by ravenclaw_007

From what I understand the Corel/Adobe uses the graphics card for its work. Pretty much you need to buy a new computer man.

Thanks for the answer

i cant afford a 3rd computer just to make this large textures , i have to stick to the win7 64 bit because of 3ds max , 3ds max is not running on any higher win version

Ah, yeah I understand... But GKABS may be able to help you get it running for later versions, but good luck.

i just tried to upscale the template on my gaming computer , i use here a RTX 3060 with 12GB ram but no luck 

Posted (edited)

Did you try any another graphics-software?

I first thought about problems with 32bit-software, but I tested Photoshop CS3 32bit and I can create and open 4096x4096 with it on my pc (also 32GB RAM, but GF2070 Super with also 8GB I think).

Someone mentioned the graphicscard Adobe and Corel uses - as you can deactivate this feature and the program is still usable, I would rule that one out. The Graphicscard is used only for processing things and not to entirely run the program. In the past Photoshop crashed while graphicsprocessor-use was activated for me, so maybe try to deactivate it if possible and try.

2 things you maybe can check also (I only have Photoshop, so the ideas are maybe not working for corel):

- Photoshop uses a harddrive as temporary workspace (Arbeitsvolume/Scratch Disks) - I guess if the selected drive has not enough free space, the program get problems with loading and working with larger files.

- in Photoshop you can limit the RAM the program is using, try to increase the size if possible.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Nyghtfall
typo

Maybe problem is with photopro x3 itself. I also have 2 pc one for gaming, and  old one augmented by some black magic just to run 3dmax and gimp. But it was long time ago i had to change some settings in gimp just to create blank 4096x4096 template starter. After that it was ok already.

PaintNet is also freeware and can handle 4096x4096. I have Win7 too and only 16GB RAM.

Posted (edited)

@ravenclaw_007 your specs are fine. You don't need a new computer as someone suggested. I was able to work on 4k textures with a mere GeForce 310 (512MB, later I had upgraded to a 2GB GeForce 710) on an old Pentium Dual-Core and with only 4GB of RAM. Point being, the software should be the issue.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

in win10, i've never had any issue with using GIMP and yours (or yakarov's) 4096 temps. and im using the same graphics as your gaming system

i would suggest trying one of the free programs for your upscaling at least. that way if you hate GIMP or PaintNet you're not out any money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

Thanks for the answer

i cant afford a 3rd computer just to make this large textures , i have to stick to the win7 64 bit because of 3ds max , 3ds max is not running on any higher win version

Volker, 3dsmaxworks just fine on windows 10 (just upgraded myself and have run into no problems at all (32 bit version).  What i'd suggest is to see If your paint programme is configured to use your graphics card.  There's no need to buy a new computer, your specs are way more than enough.

15 minutes ago, sophocles said:

Volker, 3dsmaxworks just fine on windows 10 (just upgraded myself and have run into no problems at all (32 bit version).  What i'd suggest is to see If your paint programme is configured to use your graphics card.  There's no need to buy a new computer, your specs are way more than enough.

i installed win 10 and 3ds max 2009 some time ago , but 3ds max did not work so i went back to win 7

Posted (edited)

What problem did you have? remember that Win10 deletes "some"  files so you have to turn security settings off before you try to install onto Win10.

Edited by sophocles
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

got it working , i´m using Paintshop Pro X9 now ,  just have to figure out how everything works and how i can get my nvidia plugins get to work

nvidia plugin is working as well , so i´m going to work on new Templates for the F-4 in 4096 x 4096 , will take some time 

Edited by ravenclaw_007
  • Like 6

getting slowly but surly my first 4096 x 4096 template done , the rear metal part is done now i´m adding screws and rivets 

still a lot of work to be done and it takes a lot of time to make a new 4096 x 4096 template especially adding all the stuff that you can not add at the 2048 x 2048 templates , and learning and understanding the new software took me quite some time to

i thought i can do them faster but there is no way 

Image1.jpg.thumb.jpg.08449dc39cc49e13ced292262ab4b55e.jpg

Image2.jpg.thumb.jpg.63ffc806dd6fe9359f535e8e763bdc6a.jpg

Image3.jpg.thumb.jpg.9e897f584c11068ffdc1e8b0310a5f6e.jpg

Image4.jpg.thumb.jpg.6735a82098cc4584acd5e91435423936.jpg

Image5.jpg.thumb.jpg.54371848b96d7bf4e5611b0db26a303b.jpg

• Like 6

That's some beautiful work ravenclaw!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I also think the problem must be the software, I have worked skins of that size on an i3 laptop with 6 gb of ram and the hdd about to collapse. My recommendation is that you can get an old  Photoshop, maybe 7 to cs6 to meet the requirements of an modest pc, PS behaves quite well with documents of that size, you can configure virtual memory taking the free space of your HDD, another recommendation is not to go crazy creating layers and layers, you can make test layers that do not compromise the editing of other elements but once achieved the goal, you group them with related elements to go down the memory usage ...

... and something that I commented several years ago, a 4k texture does not have to weigh 20 mb ... nor 10 ... nor 6 there is an output in ps that is called “save for web” you give 90% or 80% quality (imperceptible detail loss) and you can leave textures in 2 or 3 mb what users with more modest pc hardware will be grateful.

Edited by PeacePuma
  • Thanks 1

there is an output in ps that is called “save for web” you give 90% or 80% quality (imperceptible detail loss) and you can leave textures in 2 or 3 mb what users with more modest pc hardware will be grateful.

been using PS 6 & 7 since the early 2000s. I've always wondered what that save function did!!

thanks!!! :drinks:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wrench said:

been using PS 6 & 7 since the early 2000s. I've always wondered what that save function did!!

Me too, though I use the latest PS. But anyway didn't know that either and I've been using it since 2000, 2001 or so.

9 hours ago, Wrench said:

If we think about it, this is the use we give to our files similar to the web publication since we visualize the models on screen... there are works so exquisitely detailed that they are published with high quality printing standards, which is not taken advantage of and sacrifices resources in many pc. I must confess that many great models I run them through optimization to ensure good fps especially if you give full throttle to all the parameters of the game.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

one thing i notice by making this 4096 x 4096 templates you really find out how wrong your 3d model dimensions are , either you adjust to the given dimensions or you have to adjust your 3d model  and it does not matter wich way you go it will cost you a lot of time either way

changes on the 3d model so far

• new Rudder
  • reworked Stabilizers , especially the outer front part ( red arrows )
  • reworked Tail ( mostly the metal parts )
  • new Air Refuelling Receptacle
  • remapping and of some rear fuselage parts

will see how much more i have to change , on some areas the lines , screw or rivets get a bit distorted i try to minimize it as much as possible 

a new 3d engine nozzle is in work as well , will see if i add it to the model depending if there is a big hit on the FPS

this is how the F-4G Fuselage , Tail and Stabilizers look like now , the vertical Stabilizer is not yet finish i still have to place the rivets and screws

Image0.thumb.jpg.30fe01c33d2f0d96c44f709a16d75fd7.jpg

Image1.thumb.jpg.637ab6a981972ade1adc6cf348b548ce.jpg

Image2.thumb.jpg.4f2b8e414342cbbaf8c921a8db024f68.jpg

Image2b.thumb.jpg.a440069ca7b2b36d06d264c51df4d774.jpg

Image3.thumb.jpg.5e2f2c379ed097539869179209db065c.jpg

Image4.thumb.jpg.9f8c0dae5bf6630652d0cb4e9dfa314c.jpg

Image5.thumb.jpg.b473161a708505380e612d07411aefb7.jpgImage6.thumb.jpg.9409550739d4f6f8cf9bc57067ff6b41.jpg

Image7.thumb.jpg.bbd0fd7bbfb57521064f94addd54be2e.jpg

Image8.thumb.jpg.011973e74cd78599896ec9c3999323ce.jpg

Image9.thumb.jpg.f1ed10b6b0225d5a9951187d16f76b64.jpg

Edited by ravenclaw_007
  • Like 11

Looking great Volker, I had similar issues when re-doing the RF-4B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking stunning so far Volker! :good:

I had issues when I stll was using Photoshop CS3.

I now have Photoshop CS6 in use and everything is fine.

• Thanks 1

The quality is consistently outstanding and exceptional, as always. :good:

• Thanks 1