swambast

In Grief and Sadness...Our Greatest Loss...GodSpeed Marty.

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that we now tearfully announce the loss of our greatest contributor, our biggest fan and a wonderful person…Marty James Nielson ("NIELS" around here).

“Utah Air National Guard, Senior Master Sergeant, Marty James Nielsen left the airspace of this world on his last refueling mission with God's angels on May 21, 2023, surrounded by his loving family. Marty was born on July 7, 1960, the first of three sons to James Nielsen and Nancy (Fullmer) Nielsen.  Marty grew up in the Glendale neighborhood of Salt Lake City...he joined the Utah Air National Guard, where he served honorably for 30 years as a boom operator, refueling military aircraft in mid flight, and as a crew chief."

image.png.cc341d13a16a88008988f5921c21906d.png

Marty was a constant supporter and advocator of the When Thunder Rolled Project since Day 1.  He was always willing to help out wherever possible with enthusiasm and passion and was an official team member.  Marty provided helpful research support, but more importantly, was one of the masterminds behind our target area creations.  He became known as the target placement king; having a keen appreciation for detail and creating some of the most meticulous target areas ever created for this sim such as the North Vietnamese rail yards (the last he was working on before he passed).  Many of our custom assets were directed by his requests.  And we would happily create them; he always put them to great use and genuinely appreciated them.  Moreover, among many development lows resulting in slow downs, Marty was always there providing motivation, encouragement and willing to help out whenever called upon.  His presence and influence alone greatly contributed to getting back in action, delivering the goodies he needed to do his placement magic and feeling blessed to have such an amazing supporter with us.  I personally enjoyed my discussions and collaboration with Marty, and felt so fortunate that our paths would cross sharing a common passion and hobby together.  A foundation in Military Service, Family and Faith further helped unite us.

My last communication from Marty was as follows:  Thank you for the reply Steve and the kind words. Got home yesterday from the hospital. Struggling a bit today can’t guarantee much progress. I will do my best in the next few days…Godspeed my friend. Bless you and your family.

Marty 

Well my friend, I know it’s too late for you to respond…but you have ALWAYS done your best for this project, for me and for the greater good.  Today we lit a candle in your honor.  Today we immediately thought of you when we heard the words:  “Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”  Right back at you:  Godspeed Marty, Blessings to You and Your family…and until we meet again...rest in peace and thank you for the impact you had on my life, it was a true honor to know you.

Post Script and Lesser Thoughts

• Beyond just the WTR Project, many members here have interacted with Marty in various ways as he was an avid fan and supporter of this community.  I’d ask for each of you to please remember him and his family in your thoughts and prayers, his enthusiasm and appreciation for all the collaboration and modding work here will truly be missed.  Feel free to share in this post any fond memories or other thoughts you may wish to share, he would love that.
  • In Marty’s memory and honor, we will be memorializing him within the WTR Project.  We have finished our tribute plans for him and are currently collaborating with an artist to make this a reality which includes Marty featured as the KC-135A Tanker Boomer, a renown F-105/Thud Pilot (among his favorite aircraft ever) and even more.  We will post more details as that tribute continues.
  • With Marty’s passing, he takes with him most of the WTR target area lay-outs we planned and nearly finished.  Obviously, this is a significant set back and therefore another progress update will be delayed until late Summer.  As usual, if you have an interest in helping please send a Private Message.
  • Take time to reflect on this loss, how Marty might have made your day in some way.  Time is short and yesterday is not promised, so remember to love and appreciate today...take this moment right now to thank someone for their love and support.  All of you, be well.

In sadness for the loss, in gratefulness for the friendship...
Steve (aka "Swambast")

Edited by swambast
  • Sad 22

Wow ! what a shock, I had no idea of him even being ill.

Another great guy lost, always a pleasure to work with.

RIP my friend.

• Sad 4

I'm terribly sad to hear these news. It's been a while since last time I heard from Marty via email...

I'm as shocked and saddened as much as I'm honored to have known him. One of the kindest men I've ever known. I'm keeping all posts from him with care. Our chats and his positive posts and comments made my day more than once. I lack the words to truly express how I feel about this loss.

My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones, and to the guys of the CombatACE community who, like me, had the pleasure of chatting and collaborating with him.

Rest in peace, Marty.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Deepest condolences to his family, he will be in our toughts.

Rest in peace. S!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

R.I.P. Marty, fly high and refuel us sometime, my condolences to his family and friends:salute:

R.I.P. Niels. Condolences.

RIP, see you in Valhalla NIELS

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

Very sad to read this

All my thoughts to his family

My condolences to his family and all his love one.

• Like 1

RIP NIELS :salute:

seeing the announcement that he' posted  here  always made me say "Ooh, whats this going to be" whatever the topic

Godspeed Marty! Fly High brother!!!

Rest in peace Marty! A very kind person

My condolences to his family. and to you Steve,  it is always a very sad moment when we lose a friend. It's like losing a brother we choose in life.

Rest in peace NIELS ! Thousands kind thoughts... P.

Very sad news. Condolences to the family. 

Rest in peace.

My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.

Very sad news, Rest in peace Marty.

All my thoughts to his family

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to share any common work or comments, but like many members I have seen your nickname continually appear on many published works over the years, which is a sign of your generosity. in sharing his knowledge with modders and enthusiasts in the community. My condolences to his family and to those who knew him and shared in this beautiful hobby that unites us. Thank you for the time you gave to this group.
Have a good trip, Niels.

Edited by PeacePuma
  • Like 1

RIP

Until Valhalla...